The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gearslutz app discontinued? Any alternatives?
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

Gearslutz app discontinued? Any alternatives?

why oh why?
The only app I use everyday stopped working a couple of minutes ago.
I understand you guys can't update 3 different apps but I really love the app. I definitely would pay $ for it..
Any alternatives?
Old 9th December 2013
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-m...inue-work.html is the why.

The responsive design site replaces it.
Old 10th December 2013
It takes about a week to get fully used to it...

Bear with it for a while
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Please bring back the app

I've been on here a while now and I have to say that it is one of my favourite tools and joys in my everyday life.

A while ago I deleted the app from my iPhone since it started crashing, I then realised that it was no longer available in app store. So I started using the new website version instead and I have to say that i sadly does not replace the app at all. I used to be able to do so much in so little time (and enjoyed myself doing it) that I stopped visiting GS on my computer at all and did everything on my phone, I loved it. Now there are loading time for every little move I make and I almost forget what I was looking for in the first place. Using the web browser just does not do it for me, the app was a great tool, this is just frustrating and backwards.

I really hope you would consider bringing back the app, although somewhat buggy, it made being part of this community so much fun and useful.

Cheers,
C
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

+1 for exactly the same reasons
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Nut

+1
Old 11th December 2013
Guys, we feel your transitional pain for sure - even the moderators/admins who first had to start using the site several months back went through some withdrawal! But I personally don't miss the app one bit anymore and we are continuing to improve the site, responding to feedback and tweaking under-the-hood as well.

I guess this is my way of categorically stating that the app is most definitely not returning. It's simply not possible. I am sorry that this will inconvenience some people but if you stick with us I think all will be well.
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

I just want to add...

I'm on android 4.2.2. My phone has 2gb of RAM and is very snappy, as are most newer phones.

I have been reading about lag and long page load times, but I haven't personally experienced this at all.

I never was able to use the app on my old phone so I can't compare the 2.
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Addict
+1 for the app! I miss it badly!
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

+1 The app was perfect :(
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
I just want to add...

I'm on android 4.2.2. My phone has 2gb of RAM and is very snappy, as are most newer phones.

I have been reading about lag and long page load times, but I haven't personally experienced this at all.

I never was able to use the app on my old phone so I can't compare the 2.
This is just not a valid argument, this is how Apple or the likes want you to think when they skip optimizing the new operating system for the older phones (ie ones that are older than six months), it's not reasonable to assume people will upgrade that often (considering what it's doing to our planet it's also plain idiotic). I'm on a iPhone 4S, that should not be the issue here.
Old 11th December 2013
+6
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Addict

+7

The app is much much much better than the mobile website.

It's enough to make me use the site a lot less.
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Gearslutz experience is not the same anymore! Maybe it's a good thing as I will spend less on gear so forget what I just said! Love the change!
Old 11th December 2013
Reluctant acceptance

Last edited by Ward Pike; 11th December 2013 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Reluctant acceptance
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Well if you're not going to use the app, will you then consider completely redesigning the website because the translation to a smart phone is very cluttered.
Instead of little page numbers, how about an icon design like tapatalk with one arrow for next page and one with a different easy to understand design for first or last page.

And do you really need to see the first few sentences of each thread? Does it make any difference in whether you think you'll be interested in the thread? I don't think so.

What about hiding all the user info like when they joined and how many posts they've done and if they're gear crazy. Is that info I need to see on every post? Can't you just hide some of the clutter.

Unfortunately for me it's the lag between every move that really makes the whole experience not as pleasant, although the clutter doesn't help.
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Addict

Not digging the mobile website at all. I barely am checking GS on my phone anymore and that's pretty much the only way I've been using GS the last year. Here;s hoping the mobile site eventually brings back the app's streamlined simple and quick version of GS.
Old 11th December 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixman View Post
Gearslutz experience is not the same anymore! Maybe it's a good thing as I will spend less on gear so forget what I just said! Love the change!
Exactly my feeling about it...though it is hard to unhook actually. I have two news apps on my phone - Gearslutz and BBC - untill the other day I have forgotten about the latter, but it has been awoken now
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

What happened? My app stopped working a couple days ago. It is what I do while I sit waiting at the bank, etc. Withdrawlfromgearslutting.com
Old 11th December 2013
Lives for gear

Personally, I like the new site over the app. I can see more at a glance than I could with the app. It's a big help.

The only gripe is that the app kept me logged in. Not a big deal with cookies and keychain though.

Change is good.
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Nut

+8
Old 12th December 2013
Loved the app. Was it too expensive and annoying to keep up with? It was great.
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

+whatever number we're at now. Bring it back!
Old 12th December 2013
We will soon move over from bug fighting on to speed enhancements.

Suggestions are all good except one - the app isn't coming back.

We are gathering the suggestions we can action on the responsive site and will be looking into how to streamline and make the the mobile versions lean and mean. (fast)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search