The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your suggestions for the new mobile responsive site
Old 13th November 2013
Your suggestions for the new mobile responsive site

Please add your suggestions here.
Old 13th November 2013
Can you please expand on what you think is "terrible" ?

Difficult to action feedback if we don't know what you don't like.

Thanks!
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Maniac

The app was shocking, what you should do is depreciate the app anduontinue with the original site... If it aint broke it dont need fixing
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Trying to quote you Whitcat but not seeing quote either ? I may have inadvertently voted you down or something, the pinch and zoom is a great loss, I can barely see the icons I just clicked let alone accurately hit one in place of the other.

The change to more like the web version is interesting, without a doubt I prefer sites to appear the same on my iPad as they do on my desktop but in all cases prefer desktop full fat, non mobile, non app versions
Old 13th November 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

I usually do a quick check for updates on the threads that I am participating by using the "My Posts" query. On the iPhone GS App, the results are prefixed with the number of new posts (since my last visit or something, dunno, it just works...) which are highlighted if > 0. The web site does not show me quickly if there's something new in these threads.
If I am missing something, please tell me. If not, is this possible to add?

And something related:
The app lets me choose if I want to directly go to the very last post of such a thread when tapping on it. The web site shows a link to MY last post for quick navigation (which is good and probably the most used function), but does not offer a "go to last post". BTW, the standard list of topics when I simply browse the forum has both "Last Post By xyz" and "Last Page" links. Maybe the "Last Page" link could be added to the "My Posts" results list?

Device: iPhone 4/iOS 7.0.2
Old 13th November 2013
what devices are you on?
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Good luck with the transition.

We switched our website over to a responsive design about two months ago. Still tweaking things every few days.
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diel View Post
Trying to quote you Whitcat but not seeing quote either ? I may have inadvertently voted you down or something, the pinch and zoom is a great loss, I can barely see the icons I just clicked let alone accurately hit one in place of the other.
See attached pic... it will be somewhere around there, may vary slightly on your device.

The post voting features have not yet been implemented in the mobile version... possibly down the road!
Attached Thumbnails
Your suggestions for the new mobile responsive site-quote-pic.jpg  
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
The "pinch and zoom" element is gone. We removed this so that the web version would feel more like the app.
Quote:
See attached pic... it will be somewhere around there, may vary slightly on your device.

The post voting features have not yet been implemented in the mobile version... possibly down the road!
Thanks, see it now. Feedback - this is quite small, appears same size and font as last activity.

Don't work too hard on the vote thing, I'd either respond in writing on keep it to myself, I'll never intentionally use that feature.
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
what devices are you on?
IPAD 2 v.6.1.3 (acknowledged its not up to date)
Old 13th November 2013
My post seems to have gone to heaven when the threads merged. I wrote a few paragraphs

Not being able to pinch/double tap to zoom is unnatural for a mobile.

It takes ages to see new posts and threads when you need to scroll everything, much quicker before by just taking a look at bigger picture. All the scrolling will kill your thumb (as we musicians didn't already have too much action for our fingers).

The first few lines of the first msg are useless when coming back to ongoing discussions.

Seems like the "my posts" link has again changed to showing posts, not threads that you have posted on. Like above someone said, most of the time I come back to see if threads I've participated in have been updated.

Totally horrible on iPhone. I don't know, maybe I'm old school, but I want webpages to be webpages and behave the same on all devices.
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave View Post
Not being able to pinch/double tap to zoom is unnatural for a mobile.
Not for mobile responsive websites..

See here

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9587936-post7.html
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Not for mobile responsive websites..

See here

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9587936-post7.html
I guess I'm not a fan of mobile responsive websites. I've struggled with soundcloud and imdb for a while and stopped using them on mobile web browser already (an app is ok! why ruin the webpage?). I don't understand the need for this kind of sites. Pinching and zooming is not just to get closer, but also to get a broader general view and generally get around the page. My eyesight is good for reading font size atleast 50 % of the current size, and I'm definately not a young one..
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Like it's been said, if I wanted the app I would use the app.

I installed in a long time ago and never use it because I hate the layout and far prefer to just use the original gearslutz website on my phone.

Is there no way I can go back to the original website on my phone? I really dislike the mobile version...it's slow to get around as you can't zoom out etc.
Old 13th November 2013
eb7
Gear Addict

I don't like how it's not possible to know much about a thread without clicking on it. One used to be able to browse the forums and see information like thread starter and number of posts, as well as when and by whom the last post was made. Now it just shows a list of titles.

Also, I'd have liked to give this guy the thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Mixwell View Post
The new look is terrible at least offer the option to use the old layout on mobile devices
Old 13th November 2013
I, for one, like it a lot! Finally I can actually browse gs from a mobile device without getting frustrated to my teeth. Works just fine on my phone, although I still prefer using the app.

Sent from my LT18i
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
I can't comment on the iPhone app but i have a question regarding the look of the main HTML forum.

Was the server software reset to some previous version before the developer had added the finesse we've been used to the past few years?

Say, like to the equivalent of the Windows 3.1 version? It seems old and clunky, less user friendly and a lot less easy to navigate around, but hey, opinions will vary!
The web version is supposed to look exactly the same, albeit with a few optimisations. Is it slower for you? Most pages load a full second quicker for me. If it's slower can you provide your OS/browser info please?
Old 13th November 2013
Please pop your suggestions here - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-m...sive-site.html if you have any! Thanks!

We all fear change but we think this is all stepping in the right direction!
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Head

I am on ios7 with ipad mini, really enjoying the new Site, i am not into using Apps for visiting websites. A toggle for fonts size would be cool, otherwise I have to reach inside browser settings thanks.
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribot View Post
I am on ios7 with ipad mini, really enjoying the new Site, i am not into using Apps for visiting websites. A toggle for fonts size would be cool, otherwise I have to reach inside browser settings thanks.
Thanks! If you flip your iPad to landscape mode the font will automatically increase in size. Might be an OK workaround for now?
Old 13th November 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

I agree. I think the theme I used before was called "Vintage opto". I really liked it. Please bring it back.
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Try adjusting the width of your browser windows to see what happens...

If things still look wrong, please post screenshots to the thread I linked to above...

Thanks!
not possible when in full screen, which is how my browser always is

I have a 15" MBP running Mavericks with a 1680x1050 resolution and this is what the forum looks like on the latest version of Chrome

posts used to be able to extend all the way to the end, now the stop at an awkward position

I also notice a problem in the user profiles, can't be right
Attached Thumbnails
Your suggestions for the new mobile responsive site-screen-shot-2013-11-13-10.59.37-am.jpg   Your suggestions for the new mobile responsive site-screen-shot-2013-11-13-11.02.00-am.png  
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Whoa. It's completely messed up for me. Basically unusable in both IE and Chrome. I'm typing this response in a tiny 10x10 window with large surrounding areas of gray boxes ... what a mess..
Old 13th November 2013
Here for the gear

Works better with my iphone now I think.
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Head

Here is an attached screenshot of what I see when I try to read a post... Windows 7 64-bit IE9.
Attached Thumbnails
Your suggestions for the new mobile responsive site-capture.jpg  
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

I'm all for progress but this looks like we took a step back to web 1.0. It just looks a bit clunky in fullscreen mode in Firefox but when I shrink it down (which is how I usually use it during the day at work) it doesn't translate well at all.
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdramsey View Post
Here is an attached screenshot of what I see when I try to read a post... Windows 7 64-bit IE9.
We will get onto that

Explorer continues to be our developers most hated browser.
Old 13th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz View Post
Everything is out of order on Windows Phone (Internet Explorer)

Screenshot please - we have a moderator thats been testing on windows phone and its been fine.
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Addict

My intention is only to report problems, not to complain and I haven't visited GS on my phone yet.

It looks like the desktop version has some small changes though. I'm seeing instances of things not aligned properly or elements overlapping or margins being ignored. The advertisement on the right for example covers both the top right area (the search, tips & techniques, the private message counts, the log out link) and the bottom right area (the pages and the search link) as you scroll the page. I can provide screenshots if needed.

We mostly need your OS and browser info

Its working on most configurations it doesn't on a few - and we are still troubleshooting that
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search