The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your suggestions for the new mobile responsive site
Old 13th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbot View Post
You can now change back to the old styles! Navigate to the very bottom-left of the screen and use the dropdown.

"Original VCA" is the old default skin, "Responsive VCA" is the new.
That worked

THANK YOU!
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Try it without adblocker?
Tried it, was the first thing I did, it's the same. Lemme try the Original VCA now...

EDIT: Phew, back to normal! Well, the sidebar still doesn't want to cooperate. Here's what happens: I click on Sidebar button, and it shows, but the forum width doesn't readjust for the sidebar to fit. So I get horizontal scrollbar and can only see 10% of the sidebar, I have to scroll horizontally to use it. Now if I press the Sidebar button to close it, it closes for a second, but then it shows up again, when it shouldn't. Why is that?
Old 13th November 2013

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
"View Web Version" link now in at the bottom. This changes the layout to the old Modern VCA one.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyTheAvatar View Post
My intention is only to report problems, not to complain and I haven't visited GS on my phone yet.

It looks like the desktop version has some small changes though. I'm seeing instances of things not aligned properly or elements overlapping or margins being ignored. The advertisement on the right for example covers both the top right area (the search, tips & techniques, the private message counts, the log out link) and the bottom right area (the pages and the search link) as you scroll the page. I can provide screenshots if needed.
Quote:
Yes please - screen shots.
- Windows 7, 64-bit
- Screen resolution of 1680x1050
- Firefox (probably some old version, I'm at work and it's managed by IT, not me)

EDIT - My bad. I just now realized that this area is for suggestions not bugs...
Attached Thumbnails
Your suggestions for the new mobile responsive site-screenshots.jpg  
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Thank you for bringing back the option to use the standard site, so much better. I'd be interested to know usage stats on the new layout, as well as mobile usage stats next month, including previous months.

You might want to add a simple "use desktop site" link middle bottom, which seems to be the standard way of handling this these days. "Original VCA" hidden in a drop down isn't exactly descriptive or clear to anyone that doesn't read this thread. Edit looks like you've done just that, great job!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Thank you for bringing back the option to use the standard site, so much better. I'd be interested to know usage stats on the new layout, as well as mobile usage stats next month, including previous months.

You might want to add a simple "use desktop site" link middle bottom, which seems to be the standard way of handling this these days. "Original VCA" hidden in a drop down isn't exactly descriptive or clear to anyone that doesn't read this thread. Edit looks like you've done just that, great job!
Seconded, and thanks I must be getting old, I want things the old way...

r,
j,
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Fonts, especially smaller bold fonts don't look very good on the new version website, IE10, Win 7.

No big deal, just realized I can use original VCA.

Edit: whoa! Just now seeing some of the sidebar inconsistencies, like thread picks, you've been quoted, those are side-aligned, taking up half the screen, instead of stacking against the right border. uhh, I suggest moving them? LOL
Lives for gear

Quote:
How would you suggest that's implemented exactly? Thanks
You can do this several ways, the simplest is just as the forum currently works, split by number of posts into pages. On a mobile site you can offer a coverflow as well as side swipes to go through the pages quickly.

You can make it so that when people pinch/zoom down it folds all posts into prΓ©cis, or a thread "map" view.

You can also make sure that when opening a new thread the user is simply jumped to the bottom of the whole thread, I.e. Where current discussion is happening.

Another route is to offer a thread overview a-la mediawiki and simple links to jump to the appropriate section. This obviously works best with a hierarchical layout.

Finally there's tags, keep a floating tag box at the top and scroll to wherever on selection of the tags. Tags can be added by users posting, or automatically generated after every nth post.

It's important for a site if its to be responsive to try to avoid blanks/refreshes, but clear explanation for what each thing does, so animations help, for example when you click the gearslutz logo you shouldn't have the page reload as it does now, it should simply slide up quickly to the start of the page. This sort of thing is what makes for a smoother experience.

Mobiles sites really tend to be a waste of money and deterrent to mobile users, however if your heart is set on them, then you need to make them utilize mobile interfaces as best as possible, this means use pinch and zoom, coverflows, etc, they're strengths of the system and why people use mobile devices in the first place, but that doesn't mean they have to be nasty. Pinch and zoom for instance is just a message, you can use it to just zoom in a specific zone on the page, or change font size and keep layout. Whatever you want, but it's important to realize that people use this stuff for more than just getting legible text on a tiny screen, they use it for navigation, to get a map/overview of a site, so they can quickly jump to a portion of a thread for instance, or for making sure that they don't press the wrong button/link. You can design around that, but simply disabling pinch and zoom isn't designing around that, it doesn't solve the problems or reasons why people pinch and zoom, it just stops the action leaving the fundamental problems still in place.
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
iphone 5 compatibility would be great .

Giving it a flat and friendly ios7 look would be great but not everyone has an iphone granted.

The forums and subcategories need to be arranged better imo.

I am not use to finding the " Moan Zone" in the News section.

I really would like to see a better designed app. Obviously the pinch and zoom thing would be out of the app for obvious reasons, but the app can still look beautiful
Lives for gear

83 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just tried the site using a Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo which has a small screen (240 x 320, 133 ppi)...it works fine. Good job! Thank you.

Is there any way to sign in or sync with my existing Gearslutz account?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I just tried the site using a Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo which has a small screen (240 x 320, 133 ppi)...it works fine. Good job! Thank you.

Is there any way to sign in or sync with my existing Gearslutz account?
Just log in!!
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
I am not a fan of the newer look at all and much prefer the original, I'm sure many others do as well
I'm sorry, I don't like it too. It's probably great om "mobile devices" but it seems that people who still use "old-fashioned desktop computers" are not important anymore and left in the cold. The same goes for more and more websites these days. It's too big, the pages are too empty. You have to scroll down a lot more than before.

EDIT: Ok, you can switch back to the normal page. Thank god!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Back on Desktop version, cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We are just prepping this now - it will be an option for members only
This will resolve any problems for me. I prefer using the regular site and being able to pinch and zoom on my iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
This will resolve any problems for me. I prefer using the regular site and being able to pinch and zoom on my iPad.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-m...le-device.html
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just saw that.. Working great, thanks!
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
after reading the comments more, i think the real problem is the forum categories.

I think we really need to focus and real hit the nail on forum categories.

There are soo many makn categories and sub categories that I can even keep track of.

For example why can't everything be a main forums? Some of the forums could be:

Drums (all drum questions regardless of genre)

Guitars (same as above but for guitars)

Pianos/Synths (same as above but for piano and synths)

Pro Tools (all pro tools related stuff)

Logic (all logic related stuff)

Other DAWs (reaper, studio one etc)

I think forum categories is the larger problem. It comes to a point where I don't know where i should post a thread or seeing other threads being moved constantly.

Also i really don't see the point of the rap section any more. Any questions posted in there could easily be posted in the other main forums like the song writing (if it is a beat / arrangement question) or music computers (if it is a plug in question)

I just think the site needs to he more focused on main forums, rather than making tons of sub categories for everything.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks - once you get to know it (see the tips and trick thread in this sub forum) its fun to use..

How do you feel about the font size?

I am 53 wear glasses and dont like tiny font..
Answering you using laptop (10.9 + Safari 7) since I'm at my desk... But spent some time over lunch using iPhone 5s..

Font size is fine for this 55 year/glasses wearing guy.

Really like the swipe to go up a level...

Good experience for me so far. I like it better than the app.
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lovely, thank you very much for the web version!
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbot View Post
You can now change back to the old styles! Navigate to the very bottom-left of the screen and use the dropdown.

"Original VCA" is the old default skin, "Responsive VCA" is the new.
I'm back on "Vintage Opto". Thank you, thank you, thank you!

EDIT: Are the thumbs gone? Really? Hurray!
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Jules, Here you go...this is a screenshot using Windows XP and IE 8 from a desktop (can't bring in the sides).

Have a blessed day!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp forum.bmp (754.6 KB, 101 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJandKT View Post
Jules, Here you go...this is a screenshot using Windows XP and IE 8 from a desktop (can't bring in the sides).

Have a blessed day!
Do you have to be on 8?

Isn't there a more up to date version?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I haven't used the phone yet, but I like the new look on the desktop.

Seems like less scrolling to me, more concise avatars, and signatures. Like it.
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
Well it,s was frustrating just trying to select this thread,no pinch zoom to select other pages in this thread.
I am another one who does not use the app, as stated by others why fix something that isnt broken.
Too much wasted space also.

I,m on Ipad IOS7
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-m...le-device.html
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
iphone

i like how font is bigger in landscape mode -- easier to read

in landscape mode, i wish quote button was aligned to the right and looked like a button

in landscape mode, i too wish pages was bigger, like "New reply" bigger. in the floating header i wish there was next and previous page.

the biggest issue is not a gearslutz problem, but an Apple one: no proportional scroll. only thumb thumb thumb thumb.

overall i like it nice job!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Works good on my windows phone but I feel the topics description is taking up too much screen real estate. Just need the header names like the web app so I can see more topics without scrolling. Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Explorer continues to be our developers most hated browser.
I'm a developer and you'll get no argument from me on that statement!!!
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Works good on my windows phone but I feel the topics description is taking up too much screen real estate. Just need the header names like the web app so I can see more topics without scrolling. Thanks.
Thanks. We will take this into consideration
Old 14th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Tried it, was the first thing I did, it's the same. Lemme try the Original VCA now...

EDIT: Phew, back to normal! Well, the sidebar still doesn't want to cooperate. Here's what happens: I click on Sidebar button, and it shows, but the forum width doesn't readjust for the sidebar to fit. So I get horizontal scrollbar and can only see 10% of the sidebar, I have to scroll horizontally to use it. Now if I press the Sidebar button to close it, it closes for a second, but then it shows up again, when it shouldn't. Why is that?
Quoting myself again because it got buried.
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear