Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   New mobile responsive web design for Gearslutz.com (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-mobile-responsive-web-design-for-gearslutz-com-/)
-   -   Bug reports (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-mobile-responsive-web-design-for-gearslutz-com-/883424-bug-reports.html)

nucelar 29th November 2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOLF424 (Post 9615764)
Windows phone 7.8 (lumia 710) the site wont go to mobile mode at all the style chooser reverts to vintage VCA no matter what you choose. Tried with 3 browsers (UC, Google and IE)

Hi,
I confirm on windows phone 8 (lumia 925) exactly the same happens

dirtbird 29th November 2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for bearing with us.
Thanks!

W7
Chrome - Version 31.0.1650.57 m

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26654830/GS.png

2 computers in use here....GS loads on the troubled computer using IE just fine. Its an I7 quadcore -64bit OS bla, bla, bla

GS loads normally on the second computer using Chrome Windows 7 and the exact same browser version. This is a core 2 duo E 4600 @ 2.40 Gh 64 bit OS

Jules 29th November 2013 09:29 PM

Wow that's some big ass screen!

Will investigate.

waveform:blue 2nd December 2013 01:45 AM

You sorta' fixed thumbs up/down, but not quite...

Thumbs-up is visible and works.

Thumbs-down is not visible.

iPhone 5s using desktop view.

dirtbird 2nd December 2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 9634316)
Wow that's some big ass screen!

Will investigate.

Thanks. No change here just in case you might be wondering. IE still doing the job fine.....but who likes IE anymore:lol: yuck!

Jules 2nd December 2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waveform:blue (Post 9639751)
You sorta' fixed thumbs up/down, but not quite...

Thumbs-up is visible and works.

Thumbs-down is not visible.

iPhone 5s using desktop view.

Thumbs down has been RETIRED!

Too much angst - :cop: it sent some people into an alligator death roll that someone could disagree anonyomously - and it was an outlet for long running feuds / bitchfests..

Its thumbs up all the way from here on... kfhkh

dwpthe3rd 3rd December 2013 06:11 AM

Ads imposed over photos

Win XP, SP3, Firefox. Ads partially block photos embedded in threads in an annoying way. boing

dirtbird 4th December 2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 9640637)
Thumbs down has been RETIRED!

Too much angst - :cop: it sent some people into an alligator death roll that someone could disagree anonyomously - and it was an outlet for long running feuds / bitchfests..

Its thumbs up all the way from here on... kfhkh

Dont love it, but who am i? That means i could diss a guy and the haters could pile on and thumb my post up to drive it in a little harder, and deeper. Its about the same thing really. Could still make a guy feel like $H!T. Just one mans thoughts...a little thicker skin couldnt hurt either.

Get rid if the anonymity if at all possible. Or show thumbs given - up and down -under username at all times.

Hjelmevold 6th December 2013 06:00 PM

These JavaScript errors began surfacing a couple of days ago, and some of them seem at least indirectly related to the libraries used for the responsive design:

Uncaught ReferenceError: YAHOO is not defined ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/yui/2.7.0/build/connection/connection-min.js?v=385:7
Uncaught ReferenceError: YAHOO is not defined vbulletin_global.js?v=385:11
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'add_event' of undefined vbulletin_menu.js?v=385:11
Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined static.gearslutz.com/board/js/jquery.sidr.min.js:4
Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined static.gearslutz.com/board/js/jquery/touchwipe.js:87
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'events' of undefined vbulletin_lightbox.js?v=385_1:11
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'register_control' of undefined 851143-high-end-nearfield-test-44.html:828
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'in_array' of undefined vbulletin_multi_quote.js?v=385:11
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'trim' of undefined vbulletin_textedit.js?v=385:11
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'write_editor_contents' of undefined vbulletin_quick_reply.js?v=20131205:11
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'init' of undefined vbulletin_global.js?v=385:11
Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method 'sidr'

...or on other pages:
Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined private.php?do=newpm&u=1:79
Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined jquery.sidr.min.js:4
Uncaught ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined touchwipe.js:87
Uncaught ReferenceError: $ is not defined

(these are console messages from the Inspector in Chrome 32, MacOS X 10.6.8)

The errors are only present on some pages (such as High End, but not So Much Gear), and they remind me very much of the kinds of errors that occur when you have two conflicting JavaScript libraries that both use the '$' symbol as their default identifier. In this case, that's very likely to be jQuery and YUI. One very tedious solution is to make sure jQuery does not assign itself to the '$' symbol, by doing:

jQuery.noConflict();
(jQuery.noConflict() | jQuery API Documentation)

...but then you'll have to reassign every single jQuery code reference from '$' to 'jQuery'. I doubt any sane web developer would want to do that. So the simplest solution is to avoid combining jQuery and YUI (or Prototype or MooTools or similar), and just stick to using one of them.

I'm not 100% sure that the errors are due to conflicting libraries, but it matches the symptoms that I've seen on other sites that I've worked on.

As a web developer myself, I don't envy the poor soul who has to fix these kinds of errors in a live production environment :(

The first step I would do when debugging this, is to load different subforum pages with the Inspector Console window already open, and see where the errors do and do not occur, and find the difference in what scripts that are running on that page. After running the diff, isolate the conflicting scripts and start debugging.

When these errors are present, hardly any of the existing JavaScript-dependent board functionality works, as all running JavaScript code is halted as soon as the error is encountered. So this is a serious conflict that needs to be resolved. I wish you good luck, and I hope that my info was able to give you a flying start!

Jules 6th December 2013 08:07 PM

Thanks for the detailed report and advice. We will look at it for sure.

What sort of page behaviour errors are these conflicts causing?

What does a civilian visitor not peeking at the code experience negatively?

Thanks

Hjelmevold 6th December 2013 08:52 PM

Well, once you have a JavaScript error, all scripts stop at that point. Especially Internet Explorer has a tendency to halt completely. For instance, interactive drop-down menus won't open, so functions such as Forum Tools are unavailable. And when I write forum posts, the vBulletin_editor does not show the popup to embed links/images, etc. so I have to hardcode using square brackets notation.

This is weird - It seems that the type of Console error messages are not page-dependent after all, but reload-dependent. Maybe 25% of the time, I get no errors at all. Other times, I seem to get a cycle of different errors.

I've tested natively in Chrome 32, Firefox 25.0.1, Safari 5.1.10, Opera 12.16
Since my last post, I've also done some quick testing at browserstack.com: I've tested WinXP+IE7, WinXP+IE8, Win7+IE9, Win8+IE10Desktop.
The browserstack environments are supposed to be completely clean, but the errors are still there about 75% of the page reloads.

In Internet Explorer, the most common first error after page loads seems to be:
vBulletin_menu.js?v=385, line 11 character 1384: Unable to set the value of property 'state': object is null or undefined
Oddly enough, on Internet Explorer it seems pretty much like the console error is the same every single time, not a rotation of errors like on the other browsers I've tested with.
(EDIT: I think this is because the site is forcing IE8-10 to run in IE7 mode with <content="IE=edge,chrome=1" /> in the <head>, so I've really only been testing IE7 in the browserstack.com cases)

This smells like a script vs. library incompatability - I see enough of these kind of errors in my daytime job - please make them stop!

I've tried a browser with an Ad Blocker extension installed as well - as "random reload JavaScript errors" could be linked to an Advertisement bundled with some nasty <script> tag. But the errors still appear regularly.

EDIT 2: For now, re-loading the page while checking the console window open, until I get a page load with no errors, gives me full forum functionality while that page is open. So I can survive a couple of days more before I lose my sanity. ;)

NathanEldred 7th December 2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtbird (Post 9646146)
Get rid if the anonymity if at all possible.

+1

metrix 7th December 2013 01:48 AM

Hmm, I see some posts that are down voted, but I only see selectable thumb-up icons on posts.

Whitecat 7th December 2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metrix (Post 9655191)
Hmm, I see some posts that are down voted, but I only see selectable thumb-up icons on posts.

Existing down votes will be cleared at a later date.

Jules 7th December 2013 05:53 AM

Sooner rather than later..!

Gearbot 7th December 2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hjelmevold (Post 9654006)
<snip>

Thanks - I think the errors were caused by trying to load jQuery and YUI asynchronously. We will attempt to dump YUI eventually. Can you confirm it's fixed your end please?

edwinhurwitz 8th December 2013 05:36 AM

Weird behavior when opening a link in a new tab

The original page also goes to the link destination. Prior to this update and on every other website I've encountered, when I hold down the command key and click on a link in Safari or Firefox (and pretty much every other browser), it opens the link in a new tab, I read the new tab and close it when I'm done leaving me back at the original page. However, in the new version of GS, from the main page and each forum, when I select a link to a particular forum or discussion, the page also opens on the original tab.

I am on Mt. Lion using Firefox and Safari, latest versions.

I hope my explanation is clear.

Hjelmevold 8th December 2013 10:28 AM

Yes, the bug appears to be fixed now. Nice work, guys. :)

Jules 8th December 2013 02:24 PM

Thanks everyone!

dirtbird 8th December 2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 9658724)
Thanks everyone!

Sure. Same deal here for me though. I just get on using IE now. That's all. Like I said (I think) I used Chrome on this computer for about 4 months and everything was 100% normal. This just happened *all of the sudden* (about 2days befor that screenshot) and has been this way ever since.

Karloff70 8th December 2013 09:36 PM

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but since quite a while the site asks me to sign in again when going to private messages, although already signed in. Gets pretty tedious after a while, signing in multiple times all the time.......is that something that can disappear? Would be amazing. freshflowe

Jules 8th December 2013 10:57 PM

I get that sometimes too! We will look into it. Thanks.

twentyhertz 9th December 2013 06:28 PM

Not sure if this is the spot for it but the mobile app started crashing on my iPhone 5 this morning. The app is updated. It shows the "meter" splash screen and then immediately closes the app.

Whitecat 9th December 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twentyhertz (Post 9661958)
Not sure if this is the spot for it but the mobile app started crashing on my iPhone 5 this morning. The app is updated. It shows the "meter" splash screen and then immediately closes the app.

The iOS/Android apps have been officially retired today - they will no longer work at all, sorry!

Point/bookmark your web browser of choice at gearslutz.com and get the mobile responsive version instead! kfhkh

mdme_sadie 9th December 2013 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The floating side advert on threads obscures most threads content, especially if the thread is wide due to someone posting an image.

e.g. see this thread and attached image : https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-ma...ml#post9662739

The side advert floating area should never be on top of the posts.

This happens with the Original VCA using Firefox 26.

mdme_sadie 9th December 2013 10:53 PM

It's even happening in this thread.

Jules 9th December 2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdme_sadie (Post 9662752)
It's even happening in this thread.

OK thanks we will get on that tomorrow. In the meantime please try an alternate browser and see if that helps.

Beatworld 9th December 2013 11:31 PM

Every time I click on the link for the latest post in a thread I go to the second last page of the thread, not the latest post.
Then I have to go to the last page.

It is really annoying.

This is on an iPhone with iOS 7.04

Jules 10th December 2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatworld (Post 9662880)
Every time I click on the link for the latest post in a thread I go to the second last page of the thread, not the latest post.
Then I have to go to the last page.

It is really annoying.

This is on an iPhone with iOS 7.04

I think this just broke today...

will have fixed by tomorrow... Apologies

Beatworld 10th December 2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 9663012)
I think this just broke today...

will have fixed by tomorrow... Apologies

GREAT, thanks.