The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMS Neve Launches A New Hardware Version of The Iconic RMX16
Old 5 days ago
News Desk Editor

AMS Neve Launches A New Hardware Version of The Iconic RMX16-unnamed-44-.jpg

The legendary sound of the AMS RMX16 Digital Reverb is back as part of the company’s popular 500 Series of rack mounted modules.

Burnley, UK. January 13th 2020: Nearly 40 years since making its debut on the professional recording scene, the iconic AMS RMX16 Digital Reverberation System is being relaunched in hardware format as part of AMS Neve’s popular rack mounted 500 Series.

On show for the first time at NAMM 2020 (Booth 14008), the RMX16 500 Digital Reverb Module delivers all the musicality of its famous predecessor, but at a fraction of the price. Furthermore, this new unit incorporates the nine programmes that came as standard with the original AMS RMX16, PLUS the nine rare aftermarket programs that were only available to users via a remote control with bar code reader input.

“We are very excited to be bringing back the much loved and instantly recognizable sound that made the original AMS RMX16 everyone’s favourite ‘go to’ reverb,” says AMS Neve’s Distribution Manager David Walton. “Its unique sound has characterized an enormous number of seminal recordings from the 1980s onwards. Indeed, the AMS RMX16 has remained such an essential piece of kit for any self-respecting world-class studio that vintage units still sell for a substantial proportion of their original cost.”

The new RMX16 500 comes in a 3-slot wide format and retails at USD1,295/GBP995 making it a much more affordable proposition for a far wider user base. It is simple to operate with 18 factory programs including the unmistakeable Ambience, Nonlin and Reverse, simulating different reverberant environments, with the ability to control all parameters.

In keeping with its predecessor, which was the world’s first microprocessor-controlled, full-bandwidth digital reverberator, the new RMX16 500 Digital Reverb Module is designed to be musical rather than simply implementing mathematical algorithms. Great care has also been taken to replicate the complex sonic characteristics of the original unit’s analogue and converter circuitry, which played a big part in the overall sound.

When it was launched in 1982, the AMS RMX16 was a perfect example of the era’s exciting and cutting-edge digital audio processing. Invented by former aerospace engineer Mark Crabtree (who founded AMS in 1976), the RMX16 fused his passion for audio and extensive expertise in digital electronics into a ground-breaking unit that was way ahead of its time.

From the outset the AMS RMX16 was designed by ear, with each program tuned and re-tuned to provide as wide a “sweet-spot” of settings as possible by means of “carpet graph” parameter tables, interactively linked control by control. These design principles are key to its longevity and have been carried forward to the new RMX16 500 to ensure that it replicates the original’s outstanding performance.

The RMX16 500 Digital Reverb Module employs sophisticated micro-programmed parallel processing of 16 bit data. Its key features include:

• An 18kHz bandwidth, allowing it to also be used as a high quality digital delay line.
• 90dB dynamic range and 0.03% distortion in delay mode.
• Adjustable input and output levels for optimum signal to noise performance.
• Low power consumption (and therefore cool running).
• Independent control of each program’s fundamental reverberant parameters.
• 'Nudge Buttons' to increment or decrement data for all selectable reverberation functions.
• Alphanumeric program descriptions for ease of use when storing or recalling information for the unit’s memory.
• New rotary push encoder enabling all parameters and settings to be adjusted by ear.
• New wet/dry mix blend function.
• New save/recall feature with 100 user-defined memory slots.

The RMX16 500’s new OLED display also continuously displays all data, including variables (pre-delay, decay time, high-frequency decay profile and low-frequency decay profile) on the reverb front panel so that users can see ‘at a glance’ how the unit is currently programmed.

Visitors to NAMM 2020 can see this exciting new digital reverb module on booth 14008 in Hall ACC, North Level 1. For more information please visit www.ams-neve.com
Attached Thumbnails
AMS Neve Launches A New Hardware Version of The Iconic RMX16-unnamed-44-.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

new Neve AMS RMX 16

https://www.ams-neve.com/ams-rmx16-110-p.asp
Old 5 days ago
Engagement Manager

Sounds absolutely amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
AMS Neve Launches A New Hardware Version of The Iconic RMX16-c0be9316-dcda-4051-b16a-0d38dc3c663f.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

New Ams?

New Ams. Hope this is hardware? Any link or info yet?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

It seems the unit is base on modern DSP processing.

"The RMX16 500 series uses premium quality, high-performance 32-bit DSP processing and 24-bit, 48KHz sampling with premium A/D and D/A converters that achieve over 100dB dynamic range with +22dBu of headroom. These high-performance specifications make the RMX16 500 series the best platform possible to perfectly recreate the iconic sound of the original unit using the very same algorithms."

It might be the equivalent of the UAD2 plugin in a box.
If they nailed the ADC/DAC correctly that might be very good. The fact that the original unit had lower quality ADC/DAC then today's standards might be a big part of the sound.
Curious to listen to that new version.
Old 5 days ago
Lud
Gear Addict

Yes :
Attached Thumbnails
AMS Neve Launches A New Hardware Version of The Iconic RMX16-ams-rmx-16_3-ekm-1200x782-ekm-.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikorola View Post
It seems the unit is base on modern DSP processing.

"The RMX16 500 series uses premium quality, high-performance 32-bit DSP processing and 24-bit, 48KHz sampling with premium A/D and D/A converters that achieve over 100dB dynamic range with +22dBu of headroom. These high-performance specifications make the RMX16 500 series the best platform possible to perfectly recreate the iconic sound of the original unit using the very same algorithms."

It might be the equivalent of the UAD2 plugin in a box.
If they nailed the ADC/DAC correctly that might be very good. The fact that the original unit had lower quality ADC/DAC then today's standards might be a big part of the sound.
Curious to listen to that new version.
Agreed.

I don't see a big need for this unless someone just really loves the RMX16 but at the same time DOES NOT have access to UAD.

I used to have two of the rack AMS RMX16s, and the UAD plugin with expanded algorithms spurred me to sell both. They are exactly the same algos.

The original units and the UAD are "16 bit data offering an 18kHz bandwidth; 90dB dynamic range".

With this new unit being high-def, they probably should have just given it a new name because it's definitely going to sound different.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Wonderful time to be alive...

...unless you're a wallet.

Such a cool looking logo... and unit all over.
Old 5 days ago
I wasn’t expecting that. Cool!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Holy ****!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

used prices/maintenance of old units was getting a bit silly, so its great that this option is available. what's also great is having it available for UAD.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

that came kind of unexpected, didn't it?
really dig the idea but sacraficing three slots,... hm.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperschool View Post
Fcuking wow! I'll take your word for it! How would you describe the difference to an old one?
Old 5 days ago
Old 5 days ago
Around £1K...there's another thread somewhere...Sniperschool has one.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I hope this is more than a plug in on a chip though. The UAD sounds good but they didn't nail it 100%. They got close though but when you hear a real RMX16 next to UAD, it's obvious. I've heard both in the same room together and you can hear it - The UAD sounds cleaner, somewhat thinner for lack of a better word. It's missing the girth and the grunt that the hardware has. It's not a huge difference, but it was enough for me to pass on UAD.

The thing is, this unit almost looks like it's just a controller for a plug in. Like they just dumped the algorithms on a DSP chip and this unit's acting like the controller for it. If that's the case, then it might sound more like the UAD plug and less like the actual hardware, which in that case I'm not as interested. I'm really hoping this unit nailed the sound of the hardware stage of the rack unit.

Kinda how like when eventide reissued the hardware 2016, Tony Agnello said that the plug doesn't match the original like the hardware reissue does and it comes down to the hardware running at a non-standard sample rate (40khz) which is something that a plug can't do - you can't get a plug to run at a different sample rate than your project. The algorithms running at 40khz is a big part of the sound.

So in that respect, I'm hoping this unit tries to emulate what made the hardware special and isn't just a controller for an RMX Plug in on a DSP chip.

I remain optimistic though.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I hope this is more than a plug in on a chip though. The UAD sounds good but they didn't nail it 100%. They got close though but when you hear a real RMX16 next to UAD, it's obvious. I've heard both in the same room together and you can hear it - The UAD sounds cleaner, somewhat thinner for lack of a better word. It's missing the girth and the grunt that the hardware has. It's not a huge difference, but it was enough for me to pass on UAD.

The thing is, this unit almost looks like it's just a controller for a plug in. Like they just dumped the algorithms on a DSP chip and this unit's acting like the controller for it. If that's the case, then it might sound more like the UAD plug and less like the actual hardware, which in that case I'm not as interested. I'm really hoping this unit nailed the sound of the hardware stage of the rack unit.

Kinda how like when eventide reissued the hardware 2016, Tony Agnello said that the plug doesn't match the original like the hardware reissue does and it comes down to the hardware running at a non-standard sample rate (40khz) which is something that a plug can't do - you can't get a plug to run at a different sample rate than your project. The algorithms running at 40khz is a big part of the sound.

So in that respect, I'm hoping this unit tries to emulate what made the hardware special and isn't just a controller for an RMX Plug in on a DSP chip.

I remain optimistic though.
From reading the specs it is a plugin on a DSP chip, but does that really matter?
Did you do blind test on this? because I have compared the plugin from UAD with the real deal, and to be honest I could not tell who was who doing a blind test. Did the exact same settings and all, using the nonlin1 on an 808, The UAD plugin was a bit brighter but nothing that could't be fixed, I didn't think it sounded thinner though.
I once A/B my Culture Vulture with upgraded Mastering grade tubes with the plugin... and I sold my culture vulture after that test.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

If this doesnt even have the same type converters as the original i dont see the point. I will admit its very sexy looking. Top marks for cosmetics.
Old 5 days ago
Engagement Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Fcuking wow! I'll take your word for it! How would you describe the difference to an old one?
I have an original and sonically this stands up really well

It does feel a little cleaner sounding but then it’s brand new and my RMX like 35 years old

I liked the clarity of it but you can make it sound really close by changing the Hi/Lo settings

I never had access to the extra set of programs this one ships with so that was very cool

It’s just so much ‘fun’ to use and I usually hate the word fun when describing pro audio gear
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
How it sounds is all that matters.

The format: irrelevant
The features: irrelevant

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister m View Post
Price?
read the first post?
Old 5 days ago
Rea
Lives for gear

Would love to compare to the UAD version. Since they are both DSP, no big selling point on the HW vs. SW thing, unless AMS never released the REAL Algo to UA....
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikorola View Post
Did you do blind test on this? because I have compared the plugin from UAD with the real deal, and to be honest I could not tell who was who doing a blind test. Did the exact same settings and all, using the nonlin1 on an 808, The UAD plugin was a bit brighter but nothing that could't be fixed, I didn't think it sounded thinner though.
I once A/B my Culture Vulture with upgraded Mastering grade tubes with the plugin... and I sold my culture vulture after that test.
Yeah, it was blind and there definitely was a difference. But everyone hears everything differently and what sounds thinner to me could be brighter to you, who knows. Also who knows how much the hardware was contributing - I know that unit to unit could sound different. My friend's unit has a nice character to it that I wasn't getting off the plug which is what kept swaying me to the hardware.

I was super excited at first for this, but more and more this is looking like it's just one step removed from what TC electronic did with their combo plug in / hardware controller - dongle thing. I wish they would have went for a real hardware recreation so as to capture the full sound of the digital and analog stages.

I guess it's not bad having a plugin in hardware form if you need to run the plugin in the analog domain away from the computer, but over here I have a Bricasti, a 2016, two Lexicon 300 units, and two Lexicon PCM81 units, so I'm kinda set for actual hardware reverbs. $1300 for a plug in on a DSP chip using a "premium" (as they put it) A/D D/A converter is less compelling in light of my other choices in my rack. At that point I might as well use the plug in - or Inhalt sells a really good RMX 16 impulse library for $30 sampled from Townhouse Studios so you get the sound of the one used on Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel's records.

Fun fact: If you're only interested in the Non-linear reverb and you own a Bricasti, Casey confirmed that the nonlin bank in the Bricast IS the actual non-linear algorithm from the RMX16. He said that Mark Crabtree (inventor of the RMX16) gave him the algorithm and he put it in the Bricasti. He said any difference in tone comes down to the actual hardware as the Bricasti is clean and high end. He said that the hardware input and output stages as well as the converter of the RMX16 is responsible for a lot of the sound of the RMX16. Nevertheless it is the identical algorithm and will react the same, if somewhat cleaner sounding.

It is a nice looking unit, though...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was super excited at first for this, but more and more this is looking like it's just one step removed from what TC electronic did with their combo plug in / hardware controller - dongle thing.
Exactly what I just thought.

If its a "plugin," not sure I would want to surrender three slots. Definitely curbed my GAS.
Quote:
Is it ever! So nice, that if they did the TC Electronic dongle approach, I fear I wouldn't have it in me to say no.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, it was blind and there definitely was a difference. But everyone hears everything differently and what sounds thinner to me could be brighter to you, who knows. Also who knows how much the hardware was contributing - I know that unit to unit could sound different. My friend's unit has a nice character to it that I wasn't getting off the plug which is what kept swaying me to the hardware.

I was super excited at first for this, but more and more this is looking like it's just one step removed from what TC electronic did with their combo plug in / hardware controller - dongle thing. I wish they would have went for a real hardware recreation so as to capture the full sound of the digital and analog stages.

I guess it's not bad having a plugin in hardware form if you need to run the plugin in the analog domain away from the computer, but over here I have a Bricasti, a 2016, two Lexicon 300 units, and two Lexicon PCM81 units, so I'm kinda set for actual hardware reverbs. $1300 for a plug in on a DSP chip using a "premium" (as they put it) A/D D/A converter is less compelling in light of my other choices in my rack. At that point I might as well use the plug in - or Inhalt sells a really good RMX 16 impulse library for $30 sampled from Townhouse Studios so you get the sound of the one used on Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel's records.

Fun fact: If you're only interested in the Non-linear reverb and you own a Bricasti, Casey confirmed that the nonlin bank in the Bricast IS the actual non-linear algorithm from the RMX16. He said that Mark Crabtree (inventor of the RMX16) gave him the algorithm and he put it in the...
Yes to that. Bricasti is still a winner any way you look at it! Especially with the plugin control. But I must admit to this touching a spot inside of me...
Old 4 days ago
vcm
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperschool View Post
Could not find any word mentioning if it is even a stereo ? ) I hope so but it was dubious seeing two units side by side in the official Neve clip..
Old 4 days ago
Engagement Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcm View Post
Could not find any word mentioning if it is even a stereo ? ) I hope so but it was dubious seeing two units side by side in the official Neve clip..
Mono in and stereo out
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I hope the DMX-16 is next...or that UA finally emulates it at least.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search