The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audiosparx
Old 21st May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Or do you want to SELL music?
Nooooooo..... just noticed this post...

Never, ever, ever "sell" your music. In the music industry you "LICENSE" your music. Now you can "sell" your publishing half to a company that is better at licensing music than you are. But never just flat out "sell" your music in its entirety. Always retain a share of the ownership as the composer. People don't actually realize that even when you buy an LP or CD in a store, or you download a song from iTunes... you are not actually "buying" that song. You are paying for a mechanical LICENSE for that song. You in no way own that song by purchasing it from iTunes or a store. That is an EXTREMELY important distinction that more music creators need to realize.

By the way... Gene Simmons absolutely SUCKS at licensing his own music, just FYI. That is why he sold his publishing to Universal Music Publishing a long time ago. Anytime you hear a KISS song in ANYTHING, from a Carl's Jr Ad, to a film.. to a TV Show, etc... know that it was from the hard work of people like Gary Miller and the staff at Universal Music Publishing and not Gene Simmons...

http://www.umusicpub.com/us/Artists/K/KISS.aspx

So as you say, take the "advice" of Gene Simmons... and sell the publishing of your music to people who know how to do it well, and then let them do it for you.
Old 21st May 2017
Here for the gear

Responding to soundD's note: "Do anybody, watch serious grows of earning from Radiosparx? In digits this something about 100$ per month, instead of 1-2$ as it was early."

Hi soundD, happy your earnings are up here at AudioSparx for your tracks playing on our in-house streaming music site, RadioSparx.com – you are probably creating music in our top, most-played stations: Dance Pop Vocals, Pop Vocals, Retail Cool Mix, International Jet Set, Chillout, and Fashion House.

RadioSparx is experiencing strong growth, now streaming in 70 countries. With several dozen reseller partners, good earnings are happening for our artists; the larger your catalog, of course, the better you will do. We hope you will bring us some hot new club bangers, both instrumental and vocal versions, high-quality music in many different genres, etc. We’re always creating fun new stations (our latest, a “Twin Peaks Tribute Station”) to get our artists' music out there. With almost 200 stations online now, we cover many genres and languages, too. Also, for our growing clientele in Asia, we’re in need of authentic high-quality vocal Asian music (Chinese, J-Pop, K-Pop, Thai, Malay, Singapore, Indonesian, and more). The future looks bright!

To further enhance your earnings at AudioSparx, be sure to opt in for the compilation albums and solo albums options (on your “Artist Properties” page), too, as our distributors are creating hot albums for over 300 download sites, including Spotify, iTunes, and others. If you have any questions, click CONTACT at AudioSparx and you’ll receive a prompt reply.

Cheers,
Barbie
Old 21st May 2017
Gear Guru

Or.....have your tracks compiled into compilation albums without your consent.
Old 22nd May 2017
Here for the gear

Quoting drBill: "Or.....have your tracks compiled into compilation albums without your consent"

Hi, drBill -- Vendors here at AudioSparx can opt-in or out of participation on compilations if so desired. Our reporting is automated and instantaneous; our artists can check which tracks have been distributed by logging into their account, go to MyAccount option at top-right of site, then to Reports tab, then run the “External Distribution Report” to review which tracks have been distributed.

The report provides the distributor’s name and labels where your music is playing. If you somehow discover your music is playing on sites or labels NOT LISTED on your External Distribution Report, this can be a red flag that such music may have been pirated externally from AudioSparx.

We’ll always respond quickly if you have any questions about distribution or other ideas for us if you click CONTACT at www.AudioSparx.com

Regards and hope everyone has a creative week…
Barbie
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSparx View Post
Responding to soundD's note: "Do anybody, watch serious grows of earning from Radiosparx? In digits this something about 100$ per month, instead of 1-2$ as it was early."

Hi soundD, happy your earnings are up here at AudioSparx for your tracks playing on our in-house streaming music site, RadioSparx.com – you are probably creating music in our top, most-played stations: Dance Pop Vocals, Pop Vocals, Retail Cool Mix, International Jet Set, Chillout, and Fashion House.

RadioSparx is experiencing strong growth, now streaming in 70 countries. With several dozen reseller partners, good earnings are happening for our artists; the larger your catalog, of course, the better you will do. We hope you will bring us some hot new club bangers, both instrumental and vocal versions, high-quality music in many different genres, etc. We’re always creating fun new stations (our latest, a “Twin Peaks Tribute Station”) to get our artists' music out there. With almost 200 stations online now, we cover many genres and languages, too. Also, for our growing clientele in Asia, we’re in need of authentic high-quality vocal Asian music (Chinese, J-Pop, K-Pop, Thai, Malay, Singapore, Indonesian, and more). The future looks bright!

To further enhance your earnings at AudioSparx, be sure to opt in for the compilation albums and solo albums options (on your “Artist Properties” page), too, as our distributors are creating hot albums for over 300 download sites, including Spotify, iTunes, and others. If you have any questions, click CONTACT at AudioSparx and you’ll receive a prompt reply.

Cheers,
Barbie
Is $100 a month serious money and strong growth? That wouldn't even cover my Rockstar and amphetamine consumption!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
I'm looking to get into some music libraries and I got accepted into Audiosparx recently.

Anyone have experience with them? They don't allow you to be part of some other libraries that they say undercut them.

What sort of music do you find gets used the most?

Now that you have dealt with AudioSparx for a while, are you happy with them?

thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerone View Post
Now that you have dealt with AudioSparx for a while, are you happy with them?

thanks.
I was mostly happy at the time. My music wasn't good enough to be in better libraries so I made do with them. I had a few placements from tracks I had already been commissioned to do by clients.

I wouldn't bother with them again and haven't done for a long time now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I was mostly happy at the time. My music wasn't good enough to be in better libraries so I made do with them. I had a few placements from tracks I had already been commissioned to do by clients.

I wouldn't bother with them again and haven't done for a long time now.
Ok, cool. perhaps where I am right now, just starting out, it will work for me. I'll keep you posted.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok, cool. perhaps where I am right now, just starting out, it will work for me. I'll keep you posted.
yes they are definitely a good place to start. and all the metadata they force you to do on every track came in real handy down the road
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Much better place to start than Audio Jungle etc. The licenses I did have worth okay-ish payments.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Much better place to start than Audio Jungle etc. The licenses I did have worth okay-ish payments.
very cool. okay-ish payments is much better than no-payments..

the short term goal is to at least wave a check (whatever amount) under my wife's nose so she will chase me back into the studio rather than trying to pull me out of it for "honey-dos"..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc View Post
yes they are definitely a good place to start. and all the metadata they force you to do on every track came in real handy down the road
cool. I'm a big believer in metadata. probably makes half the difference in someone doing searches and hitting what they want versus just hitting crap.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'd LOVE to see someone try to murder my dog in the back yard..... heh heh I have the ambulance on speed dial.

I think they made a movie about that w Keanu... TWO actually
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i skimmed through a few pages and i guess this is another aggregator library with no real placements or sales team to get placements ?
so its pretty much like loading my music in soundcloud and seeing if anyone will license it.
I dont understand why these companies business model ever succeds. i guess some amateur filmmakers might find something but ive tried several similar libraries and without an on goin show or connection to music supervisors that need specific type of music i think its just much better to go down to 7-11 and play the lottery with the money i sell from all my gear.

For this style of business i can see corporate type track music or very background style being more succesful but for tv shows or commercials etc i dont think even if hans zimmer and john williams placed music there they would get placements. its just such a crap shoot. sure there might be great track but finding the right track for the length style, hits etc i dont know. even in library music, each tv show wants a more specific style so they dont sound like other shows.

and whats even worst that the companies dont pay upfront and want exclusivity!? if im sure a track will have placement, sure.. but just giving it away and thinking "hey its a top performer" its just nonsense
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, it won't work for you.

Your musical output is being abused by thieves,

Everyone should be aware that Audiosparx has "Astroturfed" gearslutz, for an explanation of that term check this out:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-astroturfing
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGJ View Post
This thread is fabulous.

I like audiosparx and think that it comes in for some unfair criticism. It's a tough business and difficult to find a business model that is sustainable. They've been at it for twenty years. Recently I read a list of 90 libraries that have gone under. I've only just started submitting and not sold a thing yet but have found them extremely helpful and competent. I would improve the tagging system if it were me but hey. I also share the worries expressed earlier about pay-per-click search promotions, but even this is arguable. It seem to me that only people with decent music will bother to waste money on PPC.

It's horses for courses as usual. Each library is different and the artist/composer has to decide what will best suit their music and their career. After a year of research I concluded that there is no way to choose between libraries without first-hand experience of their placement success rate, payment system, promotion system, client base, support system and a post-graduate degree in publishing law. That is, there's no way to decide without getting your hands dirty and taking some risks.

I also discovered that crap music is big business. I was dismissive at first, all the bedroom music with little musical competence, but what works for sync is not what works for the concert hall or pub gig. A naff guitar riff with some uninspired harmonies might be exactly what is required.

The perpetuity clause is understandable, and unless the music is exclusive I can't see that it's a big deal.

Thanks to Barbie and Lee for commenting, and more power to your elbow as they say around here. The only real problem for composers is other composers.
This is an example of Audiosparx "Astroturfing"

This post is crooked as a $3 bill, just like the company who sponsored it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
I have sent Audiosparx music and have had the most success with music under a minute. One piece is only 15 seconds and has been purchased over and over again for commercials in Ireland. I had no obvious use for these short pieces because I had used them in cable shows and retained the composer rights to them. I don't think I will send them anything else quality wise and just sit on what I've given them.
More propaganda brought to you by the people at audiosparx,

This is Astroturfing, they are trying to manipulate and take advantage of you, do not deal with thieves

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

When I was with Audiosparx, my placements weren't THAT bad. They weren't all crude corporate films. I landed a few TV/web ads and a TV promo for a Dreamworks film. I remember a few of my pieces were licensed for this beautiful animated film that plays in the Metro stations in Italy. Another piece was licensed for a really famous arcade game. Then there was a bunch of uninteresting stuff. Was I making a living? No, but I can't say the licenses weren't extremely diverse, particularly for a "new" composer. My portfolio wasn't bad after a year. Bear in mind, this may not be the same for everyone. I was on their "A-list" and they featured my music on the homepage a lot. After I stopped being featured, my licenses dropped.

I ended up not liking their model, their clauses changed and I couldn't keep up with their demand for metadata. I out-grew them and moved onto bigger and better things. Audiosparx is fine if they just recognise what they are. The problem is, they simply don't hold a candle to high end libraries but they don't differentiate themselves either. They put up huge client names and talk about how much money can be made, but the bottom line is, you probably aren't going to make a living, and composers are led to believe they can.

If you see any music opportunity as simply an oppprtunity to learn, then do it. Listen to advice, READ THE AGREEMENT and make the call. Calling them outright scam artists muddys the water because it forces them to come on the forum and swing it way too far in the other direction. They're a RF library with a crappy deal - that's basically it.

People need to be aware of the deal and go in with reasonable expectations. If you think you'll get to keep more than 40% of the sync fee, you won't. If you think you'll land a track in a superbowl commercial, you probably won't. If you think you'll keep ownership of your music, you won't. If you think you'll become rich by joining audiosparx, you won't. It's a RF library, not Extreme Music.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
People need to be aware of the deal and go in with reasonable expectations. If you think you'll get to keep more than 40% of the sync fee, you won't. If you think you'll land a track in a superbowl commercial, you probably won't. If you think you'll keep ownership of your music, you won't. If you think you'll become rich by joining audiosparx, you won't. It's a RF library, not Extreme Music.
i'd rank them a little higher than your typical RF site thou. mainly for 2 reasons. 1. the prices they charge are higher and 2. they are more artist focused and allow you to promote yourself more like an artist rather than just being a WAV file on a page amongst 1000's of other tracks. but your earnings will be pennies imo unless you are one of the few that have 5,000 tracks in every genre.

but i"ll still always appreciate them as being the first library to take me in when i was a beginner so they worked well for giving me the confidence to keep aiming for bigger and better libraries.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc View Post
i'd rank them a little higher than your typical RF site thou. mainly for 2 reasons. 1. the prices they charge are higher and 2. they are more artist focused and allow you to promote yourself more like an artist rather than just being a WAV file on a page amongst 1000's of other tracks.
Yes, I agree with you. They're the only RF library I worked with so I was surprised to see the likes of audiojungle giving music away for a few dollars. They deserve credit where credit is due.

Needing 5,000 tracks in every genre to be making more than pennies is pretty hyperbolic though.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Responding to several of terrible.dee’s comments here: First, it’s true, that on several occasions artists have uploaded music or SFX to AudioSparx that they ripped off of others; and upon learning about it, we have deleted the tracks or removed the artist. And we’re not engaged in “astroturfing” as there is no reason to be unethical, as that just drives everyone away. We’ve been in biz 20 years, and believe 99.9% of our artists are honest when they warrant in their Artist Agreement that they own the copyright to their catalogs. If we discover tracks that are infringing, we delete them immediately and advise the artist.

AudioSparx is definitely on the front lines of seeking and discovering new talent! Genres are changing all the time, so we keep an eye out for what’s new in music. Often, our clients love these new artists and they wind up on our “Hollywood A-List” or create amazing music videos which we feature under our “Videos” link at AudioSparx -- and yes, we also feature them on both Facebook and Twitter, which occasionally leads to licenses for our composers.

And yes, AudioSparx is a big library, privately-held and profitable. Our long-term plans are to continue growing that site as well as RadioSparx.com (now in 71 countries), to take advantage of the phenomenal growth of streaming music (i.e., retail chain stores, restaurants, hotels, spas, gyms, clubs, etc.). For artists who create radio-friendly Pop, Rock, EDM, Chillout, Easy Listening, etc., their residual income will grow. And we cross-promote each site, sometimes leading to a commercial license on AudioSparx from the streaming site. If your tracks have been featured on AudioSparx Playlists, they will automatically be featured on RadioSparx stations.

Metadata is here to stay, it allows our artists to have control of their catalogs to enhance descriptions and keywords, helping our clients quickly search and find tracks like yours in our large database. We DO REQUIRE a “Perpetual” length contract to assure a stable shopping experience for our clients who often hot list a series of tracks for films or ad campaigns but don’t license them for some months down the road; but we DO NOT REQUIRE “Exclusivity,” which allows our artists to upload their music to competing libraries. And yes, we have a 60/40 commission split, which allows us to advertise and staff up with music curators to review and feature YOUR BEST MUSIC both commercially and on RadioSparx.

We’ve observed from the Music Library Report RIP list almost 100 music sites that have gone out of business. At AudioSparx, our management remains steady, and we’re not exiting markets and closing up facilities or seeking to sell ourselves to the highest bidder (e.g. Pandora and SoundCloud), or declaring bankruptcy or going out of business (i.e., Mood Media, Music Dealers, Revostock). We try to be innovative and proactive for our artists, and believe a steady and persistent approach is the best strategy and, while it may not offer the fireworks that some other companies can display, the good news is that we're not going to burn your house down either.

Enjoy the day and if you have any questions or ideas for us, please click CONTACT at www.audiosparx.com

Cheers,
Barbie
Creative Director
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSparx View Post
First, it’s true, that on several occasions artists have uploaded music or SFX to AudioSparx that they ripped off of others; and upon learning about it, we have deleted the tracks or removed the artist. And we’re not engaged in “astroturfing” as there is no reason to be unethical, as that just drives everyone away...

Metadata is here to stay...And yes, we have a 60/40 commission split.

While it may not offer the fireworks that some other companies can display, the good news is that we're not going to burn your house down either.

Cheers,
Barbie
Creative Director
I removed the fluffy corporate speak so other composers can take in the salient points.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
This is an example of Audiosparx "Astroturfing"

This post is crooked as a $3 bill, just like the company who sponsored it
It's a dangerous phenomenon, but my post was not an example.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search