The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VSL Synchron Strings I Announcement
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

VSL Synchron Strings I Announcement

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for this - How do you find VSL's stuff overall, Jeff? I've never personally tried it. Are there sections of the orchestra they do better than others?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The only thing I have from VSL is their Epic Horns from like, well, many years ago, and VEPro. So I am not really up on how their libs are.

Cheers.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 View Post
Thanks for this - How do you find VSL's stuff overall, Jeff? I've never personally tried it. Are there sections of the orchestra they do better than others?
The woodwinds are definitely a strong point. For 70€ or so you can get their Special Edition Woodwinds. That's incredible value for the price. Add SE+ (additional articulations) and you have gorgeous woodwinds that will be up for all standard orchestral tasks.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
The woodwinds are definitely a strong point. For 70€ or so you can get their Special Edition Woodwinds. That's incredible value for the price. Add SE+ (additional articulations) and you have gorgeous woodwinds that will be up for all standard orchestral tasks.
Yeah - people have been raving about their woodwinds since day 1, and still do.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

VSL is consistent. And they do excellent work capturing multiple articulations. I only have the mid-tier complete Special Edition. Synchron is interesting because it has some of the room sound baked in. I have been looking at Spitfire lately because I want to counterbalance my VSL sound. VSL's SE is very pristine and somewhat "hi-fi" and up front. Not unnatural mind you. Just a little more forward than a real orchestra recording (everyone in the room). It takes more work to get that sound and push it "back". And sometimes I want stronger vibrato / smudge factor. VSL can be too reserved at times. It is SUPER clean though. You can stack notes and never hear the build up of roomtone.

Also a credit to Vienna: Rock solid software. Mine still works in Logic 9, X, and Pro Tools. No hiccups. And not resource hungry.

And they have a lot of offerings from basic, to Appasionata (huge player count), Special Edition (smattering of everything. Fully capable), Dimension (individual player control) and now Synchron (8 velocity levels x 10 round robins!? Although I would love even more velocity levels because... realism.) They are completely capable, serious professional tool.

Winds are indeed very strong (clarinets! and flutes / piccolo. Two favorites). Nice sax line for classical work (or like Nightmare Before Christmas) scoring. The legato patches are winners - very natural melodic playing with them. I love the portamento Violins that slide up to an octave - just keyswitch between normal transitions & portamento and instantly expressive. Love the legato horns & trumpets w/ multiple players. If you are interested in a particular instrument I might have a track laying around that makes good use of it.

Best,
Sam
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Hi,

I went ahead and purchased VSL Synchron Strings (Full version). Really looking forward to its release in November, until then, I'm anxious to hear more demos, videos, and see the GUI, and features of the new VSL Synchron Player.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search