The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Timing yourself
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Timing yourself

To keep it short - I'm working to make my songwriting process more efficient, from top to bottom. Cut out the downtime, get more focus.

One of the things I'm working to figure out is how long exactly I spend on songs/genres/orchestration levels, from start to finished product. (For both efficiency and giving myself a better idea of what to charge for custom work).

Wondering if anyone here has any products/apps they use that help them track total amount of time they spend on songs - something like a stopwatch maybe, but something that won't clear the time if it's shut off - maybe something I could "punch in" with when I sit down at my desk, and "punch out" when I get up to do something else, and stores the cumulative time I have spent on a task.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I don't have an answer to your specific question although you might find what you are looking for by searching for "time management apps / programmes"

My experience re this sort of thing in the corporate world is that I needed the downtime to get anything done - it was actually part of the process because during "downtime" my mind was working in a different way but still on the problem. If I cut out the downtime I worked longer but actually lress got done. It's a bit like our need for sleep.
Old 1 week ago
I tried a lot of web apps for this sort of thing, and finally I just started logging my time in a spreadsheet. It requires some diligence, but not much more than remembering to go to an app and punch in/out. One app that MAY work for you would be RescueTime. Its main idea is that it'll block distracting websites if you spend too much time looking at them, but the app also tracks what software you're using, and often even what document in each piece of software you're using. Of course, it also tracks websites you go to. And then it graphs it out based on your categorization, i.e., using Pro Tools and surfing Gearslutz count as work.

In practice I found it was hit or miss on what app I was using--although it's consistent on tracking websites. So, I'd be working on a track for 9 hours in a day and it'd show less than an hour. Things like that.

My spreadsheet allows me to break things up not only by project, but also by, for instance, length of the cue, type of project, client, etc. A project isn't just writing music--it's also meetings with the client, and it's sometimes a trip to the guitar shop when something breaks, or a computer crashing, or when I had to fly 24 hours to Singapore, and 24 hours back. Figuring my time like this, it takes me around 5 hours per minute of music/sound. But as I'm looking at my numbers, here's a track that took 30 hours per minute--because it probably got rejected a few times, or maybe it was just something I couldn't figure out how to finish, and then here's another one that took 3 hours/minute--because it was four minutes of stuff that wrote itself. Using these numbers, it's fairly easy to begin charting out how longer projects tend to have smaller averages than shorter projects, which means I should charge accordingly. It also makes it quick to check on comparable projects I need to offer quotes on. In short, if you build it yourself, you can begin with just keeping track of the numbers, and as you develop questions, you can use those numbers to begin building on features to find the answers.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Try these guys:

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/

They have a free timer plugin that sits on your master buss and will countdown the hours you spend on each open project.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougstronach View Post
that thingy is excellent, thank you for suggesting it
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougstronach View Post
Try these guys:

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/

They have a free timer plugin that sits on your master buss and will countdown the hours you spend on each open project.
Hi I noticed your Canadian as am I and had to ask you something totally off topic. I checked out your website and you have music in libraries in the US and UK. Do you get royalties from SOCAN for those libraries or do you have to register with a foreign PRO (ASCAP, BMI, PRS)?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter123 View Post
Hi I noticed your Canadian as am I and had to ask you something totally off topic. I checked out your website and you have music in libraries in the US and UK. Do you get royalties from SOCAN for those libraries or do you have to register with a foreign PRO (ASCAP, BMI, PRS)?
SOCAN does most of it for you but with the US I had to choose a PRO to represent me and then tell SOCAN about it when I register works with them......most other countries as far as I know only have one PRO...call SOCAN for more info..they're usually pretty helpful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search