The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lessons from a robbery
Old 31st January 2018
Gear Guru

Awesome Sam!!!

Glad the guy who bought them didn't get hit too hard ($500). I'd say he got his money's worth over the last 3 years. Hope they catch speedy or whatever his name is....
Old 31st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Awesome Sam!!!

Glad the guy who bought them didn't get hit too hard ($500).
All in all, a good news story. Very good when it occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Hope they catch speedy or whatever his name is....
I hear he's a bad hombre, and a fast one at that.

Old 1st February 2018
Gear Head
hahaha--okay, it was Deerfield we drove through. I didn't see the new part of this thread.
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear

Very glad to hear this, Sam.

Guitars are like friends, like little puppies. We have to take care of them.

You got some of your gear back and the police is - hopefully - going to catch the thieves. It wouldn't surprise me if the guys who stole your guitars also robbed the other things you are missing and left at least some clues.

But most importantly: This incident caused you move to a secure and peaceful neighborhood. What a great decision.

Peace of mind is the most important thing anyone can concieve.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

BOOM! Guitars returned!
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

-Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Lessons from a robbery-4474.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

WOW

That's unbelievable. Congrats!

What happens now with insurance? Do you have to return the money?

Also, anyone headed for the hoosegow?
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Watson View Post
To clarify: The theft happened 3 years ago in Jackson, Mississippi. It was the final straw that made us move. We now live in lovely ultra-low-crime Deerfield, Massachusetts.

The police contacted the guitarist's agent and who put them in contact with the guitarist. He confirmed he has the guitars. Said he bought them from a guitarist nicknamed Speedy at after a show at Club Ebony up in the MS Delta (very famous blues club). Paid $500. (For $4k in guitars!) His drummer bought some drum gear out of the same trailer. Sketch. Anyway - he is returning the guitars. The police made no mention of charges or further investigation. I live on the other end of the country now so Dad is going to pick them up tomorrow. I need to talk to my insurance company too since I received claim money after the theft.

I am happy to have them headed back my way! There was also a strange relief to learn they were being used for actual music daily instead of just sitting in some kid's closet. This was an amazing out of the blue thing. But it sucked up way too many mental CPU cycles and time this week. Must get back to working and get material out the door!

Cheers!!
Sam
I'm sure that Deerfiled is much more expensive to live at than Jackson was, but peace of mind is priceless. My brothers like to make fun that I live in an area that is much more expensive than where they live, but there is virtually no crime in or near my neighborhood. In their neighborhood they don't even like to leave their vehicles in the driveway due to fear of theft, vandalism, etc. Congratulations on your move to a better environment.
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
To clarify: The theft happened 3 years ago in Jackson, Mississippi. It was the final straw that made us move. We now live in lovely ultra-low-crime Deerfield, Massachusetts.

The police contacted the guitarist's agent and who put them in contact with the guitarist. He confirmed he has the guitars. Said he bought them from a guitarist nicknamed Speedy at after a show at Club Ebony up in the MS Delta (very famous blues club). Paid $500. (For $4k in guitars!) His drummer bought some drum gear out of the same trailer. Sketch. Anyway - he is returning the guitars. The police made no mention of charges or further investigation. I live on the other end of the country now so Dad is going to pick them up tomorrow. I need to talk to my insurance company too since I received claim money after the theft.

I am happy to have them headed back my way! There was also a strange relief to learn they were being used for actual music daily instead of just sitting in some kid's closet. This was an amazing out of the blue thing. But it sucked up way too many mental CPU cycles and time this week. Must get back to working and get material out the door!

Cheers!!
Sam

Wow - what a story. Glad you got your babies back.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear
Triple redundancy. I have all my computer files backed up on 2 drives, one I keep hidden. I can replace a synth. I can't replace 25 years of collected sounds, pictures and personal files.
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hello there talented colleagues,

The holidays were lovely for us over here save for one small detail: Our house was robbed seven days before Christmas. Ironically, we were in a different state where we are considering moving for better schools and... less crime.

They kicked in the door (deadbolt and all) and were back out in a matter of moments with over $10k of stuff. Neighbor kid managed a vague id of a car. Both work laptops, all the guitars on the stands in my home studio, my wife's entire jewelry box, iPod dock, Wi, and all the presents there were under the tree at that point. Classy.

It is just stuff and can by and large be replaced but here are some valuable lessons for the rest of you from the event. It could have been worse, except that we were already prepared because we had been robbed three years prior. (Did I mention we were already considering moving because of crime?)

Your insurance is going to want a lot of proof that you did indeed own the items and they will want to see valuations. Luckily, I had photos of every guitar that was stolen (front, back, serial number) and all that data for the laptops too. While the IRS only requires you to keep receipts for 7 years, I'm telling you to keep them forever for every major purchased item. TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR STUFF THIS WEEK.

You know where you should keep these photos? Not just on your computer! Luckily, I had them copied to several places. One place I keep these photos and a list of serial numbers is in a hidden directory of my website. That way... if someone steals my computer I can still access this info from any other computer!

Data redundancy: This is a hard one. I was SUPER lucky that they didn't notice or care enough to steal all the external drives plugged into the hub. While I am good about backing up projects, this has reminded me of the importance of off site backup! If you have an active ongoing project you should seriously consider something like dropbox. If they had taken the drives I would have been out hundred of hours of work in an on-going job.

USB dongles: Don't plug them straight into your computer. Put them on the USB hub and hide that hub back behind some other gear. I was fortunate that my iLok and Vienna keys are still in my possession. Thus, once I get a new machine & spend a few hours re-installing I will be able to boot right up into my projects and keep working.

Insurance: DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY have it. It has saved us financial maiming several times. If Nationwide wants to put me in a commercial I would gladly do it. If you have certain large items make sure you get a rider and list them. You can get renters insurance for cheap. You can put some gear on your home policy. Although if you are too big you are going to need a business policy or some additional rider.

Consider an alarm: They are aren't going to stop a break in. They are still going to to get stuff. But it decreases the time they will be there and that is critical. Ours was FAST but it was still $10k. We have heard of people that had ROOMFULS walk out the door in a moving truck!!

Everything that is important is safe and sound. And it was actually a lovely Christmas because some many people were unexpectedly kind and generous to us. It shows you that most people are in fact decent and wonderful despite a few bad apples.

Be safe and be prepared. Happy holidays to all!
-Sam
I once had a piece of gear stolen that I bought at sam ash. When I busted out the receipt that I had smartly saved, it was BLANK!! So were a ton of other receipts that I had saved.

Don't save your receipts. Scan or take photos of them, or you are guaranteed to lose them.

Best part is sam ash doesn't even keep records...
Old 22nd February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill___Bro View Post
I once had a piece of gear stolen that I bought at sam ash. When I busted out the receipt that I had smartly saved, it was BLANK!! So were a ton of other receipts that I had saved.

Don't save your receipts. Scan or take photos of them, or you are guaranteed to lose them.

Best part is sam ash doesn't even keep records...
Ah, gotta love the cheap printer ink.
Old 22nd February 2018
m03
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Triple redundancy. I have all my computer files backed up on 2 drives, one I keep hidden. I can replace a synth. I can't replace 25 years of collected sounds, pictures and personal files.
Hopefully they're stored in separate locations too, otherwise if they are in the same place and there is a fire, flood, etc, everything would still be lost.
Old 25th February 2018
Lives for gear

Awesome to hear! This made my day. Thanks for sharing

I remember an Eric Johnson interview where he talks about a strat that was stolen from him in the mid 80's. He found it in a pawn shop in 2005. Still had the serial number. Really crazy how things work out. Again so glad you got your guitars back.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search