The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warning for hitlicense.com
Old 26th August 2014
Here for the gear

Warning for hitlicense.com

Hitlicense is not trustable when it comes to their opportunities.

They have opportunities that often has a big pay out(2000-12000$). And after being a member for almost 2 years I started to notice that their´s something wrong about this site.

the "big payout opportunities" ALWAYS selected hit license artists to CONSIDERATION, but it often stops there.
Now , thats a good but ugly trick used by hit license, because when artists get selected for consideration, it makes the artists think that they will get thier song placed but it won't get placed due to their ugly but very smart tricks.
And that makes the artist to keep submitting songs and keeps on paying 5$ per submitted song.

So this is my warning to you guys out there that uses Hitlicense.

There is other, more trustable, music opportunity-sites out there that is much better.

Peace!
Old 26th August 2014
It's not a trick, it's their business model!! LOL

While deceptive, it's how most of these types of libraries stay in business. Let me ask you this, what guarantee do you have that the licensing opportunity you are paying money to submit for is even real?

What if someone at their office reads variety and the hollywood report and looks to see what is currently in production, then they create fake opportunities based on what shows are currently in production?

So you are submitting and paying to submit to leads that aren't even real. And then they have you resubmit and repay over and over and over in hopes of landing this fictitious opportunity. And my favorite is they tell you that your cue is almost there and to change these few little things and resubmit (pay more money)... then after you do that, they ask for more changes and for you to resubmit, and so on... they can pretty much scam a composer into resubmitting the same piece of music 4 or 5 times for a single licensing opportunity when they have no intention of ever picking your track since most of the time the licensing opportunity is fake anyway.

There are a lot of scams now in the music "library" world. Anytime you have to pay (annual fee, or a one-time fee per cue, or a submission fee per submission to a lead, or another scam is that you have to pay for the mastering in order to be added to the library) to be a part of a library, chances are you are never going to get a license. If the library were getting a lot of licenses then it wouldn't need to charge you for submissions, now would they?

I know of one library who does the mastering scam. And what's worse they use a "pay per submission" service to get all their music! So not only do you have to pay to submit over and over for the "opportunity" to be forwarded over to the library... when your music if finally sent to this "library", they take everything and anything that is sent to them, but tell the composers that their tracks don't sound good enough and that the composers have to pay the library to get the tracks professionally mastered!!! The owner of the library takes the money, runs the tracks through Ozone, T-Racks and an L3, and then puts them in the library, no professional "mastering" is ever done! The library makes almost no money from licensing, all of it's income is from charging it's composers for mastering!

Music supervisors know which libraries do these kind of scams (pay to submit, etc) and steer clear of them since it is such an unethical practice. Granted I'm sure there are some shady music supervisors out there that still use them because they don't care, but pretty much every music supervisor I've talked to or heard speak at a panel says the same thing... they stay away from these pay to submit services.
Old 26th August 2014
Lives for gear

I've never seen a licensing site with the payout broadcasted for the world to see!
But free membership and $5.00 subs should of got your spidey senses tingling to the fact that they don't care for experience of the craft, just pay every time!
Old 27th August 2014
Yup it's pretty simple: If you have to pay, don't play.
Old 18th June 2015
Here for the gear

after submitting about 100$ worth of submissions in the past month or 2. i've had 2 songs "shortlisted" and one selected. Im waiting on the next step now i guess. i will Keep you guys posted!
Old 18th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceunO View Post
after submitting about 100$ worth of submissions in the past month or 2. i've had 2 songs "shortlisted" and one selected. Im waiting on the next step now i guess. i will Keep you guys posted!
I'd be very careful of this. Don't spend anymore than you already have.
Old 19th June 2015
Lives for gear

Wouldn't such libraries have a website/showreel to display some of the music they have placed?
Not saying they couldn't scam that aspect as well, who knows, but my first instinct would be to go and see what they've done in the past.

Just before hitting the submit button with the 2 lines above, I thought I'd go check out their website.
Sure, there's a "recently licensed music' section at the bottom, once there I see no mention of brands or anything.
Only a handful of tracks that were 'selected' for; a car commercial, for a popular hair-care brand, a fitness spot, etc, in audio format only.

No, no and no. Where are the actual ads.
If you, the library, have licensed a track for McDonalds, then show me the spot for McDonalds on your site.
Don't give me an audio track merely saying 'selected' for a major fast-food chain.

I work with one, just one library/licensing company and their site displays every single spot they have been involved in.
You can even go to YouTube and see the same spot there, as in, it's real, it happened, music by so and so, and it actually aired.

Hitlicense....even with a name like that I wouldn't want to partake, ha!
Old 14th September 2015
Here for the gear

I know personally of many people who have gotten licenses from HitLicense and other trust worthy places like this. One of them has a yearly membership that gets you into a free conference where i met many industry people and from that (and 5$ submissions that got screened, approved and sent to the publisher,) I have made several relationships that now get me many Film & TV placements. There are scams no doubt, but you have to make sure you have the right material for the opportunity, that you are selective, ask around in the right forums, and groups who is legit and who is not, and that you build relationships.
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by billburt View Post
I know personally of many people who have gotten licenses from HitLicense and other trust worthy places like this. One of them has a yearly membership that gets you into a free conference where i met many industry people and from that (and 5$ submissions that got screened, approved and sent to the publisher,) I have made several relationships that now get me many Film & TV placements. There are scams no doubt, but you have to make sure you have the right material for the opportunity, that you are selective, ask around in the right forums, and groups who is legit and who is not, and that you build relationships.
Cool. What exactly is your position at HitLicense? Are you the owner or an employee?
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Great 1st post!
Old 14th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsass View Post
Quote:
Cool. What exactly is your position at HitLicense? Are you the owner or an employee?
I don't work for HL or any other similar company. As of today, I've landed 4 license deals on HL and have been paid for each one for a total in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000.

It gets tiresome reading that just because people submit and don't get placements, it's obviously a scam. Yes, the higher payout licenses (over $1500) are much harder to come by but that's the way our industry works. The higher the license fee, the more competitive. And remember, you are not competing with just HL members, you are competing with submissions from all the other sources that listing party works with.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Musico View Post
I don't work for HL or any other similar company. As of today, I've landed 4 license deals on HL and have been paid for each one for a total in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000.

It gets tiresome reading that just because people submit and don't get placements, it's obviously a scam. Yes, the higher payout licenses (over $1500) are much harder to come by but that's the way our industry works. The higher the license fee, the more competitive. And remember, you are not competing with just HL members, you are competing with submissions from all the other sources that listing party works with.

If you ever needed proof that HitLicense should be avoided.... WTF. A "Google search" pulls up a thread from last year and two new accounts start posting about how great HL is.

Last edited by spiderman; 15th September 2015 at 02:13 PM..
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Nut

This thread is quite telling.

Initial post: August 2014
Thread dies - August 2014

Thread resurrected almost 1 year later (June 2015) in defense of HitLicense by a new user with 1 post.

Thread dies - June 2015

Thread resurrected today (Sept. 2015) in defense of HitLicense by a new user with 1 post.

Followed by yet another post in defense of HitLicense by a new user with 1 post

Old 14th September 2015
Here for the gear

Wow... Try to give honest feedback from my own experience as a fellow musician and songwriter... Oh well, not worth it. As far as my only one post: A friend told me about the thread today so I joined and popped in to say what I've experienced. If you'd rather believe that I am an HL employee or HL plant, then whatever...
Old 14th September 2015
Here for the gear

I just got five new placements while you were making that meme...
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd love to hear those tracks.... you must be writing some magic.
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I just got 15 new trailer placements with HitLicense!
Old 14th September 2015
Here for the gear

I can't give away my secret identity by revealing my tracks... oh, look , another placement... anyway, have fun conspiracy theorizing, and complaining..

Direct connections to the music supervisors is always the best of course, and you do that by networking... have fun- peace out...
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Maniac

this thread is funny,lol
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Maniac

I tend to avoid these threads because of the level of acrimony they invoke against the "For" argument, but in this case I'm going to unequivocally state that you are all wrong about billburt. I know this person, they are very talented and successful, they do NOT work for HL. You guys are simply wrong in your assertions about them.

Same goes for El Musico - I know personally, they have gotten licenses via HL and they are also not connected to that company.

So people, sometimes your calls of conspiracy and "owner account!" might be right but in this case, no, you are all barking up the wrong tree.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Rob - I don't doubt that you know them, BUT

When you see someone type:

- and it's their second post, AND then you see them not one hour later come back with:

oh, look , another placement

- you tend to cry bull****. And for good reason; honest people who really do get placements typically don't do stuff like that.

Cheers.
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Jeff, I agree. New posts in support of a service often look bad.

But in this case, I can say they are legit and nothing to do with HL.

I'd also add that this person is IME, totally honest and straightforward. I haven't confirmed it but I suspect what they are talking about there are placements showing up on tunesat, said placements originally being sourced from a service like HL, dare I say it, Taxi. billburt can confirm or reject my guess about that, if they want to.

Last edited by Cruciform; 15th September 2015 at 12:37 AM..
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

It's sad when the way to make money is to make money from musicians' dreams.
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruciform View Post
I tend to avoid these threads because of the level of acrimony they invoke against the "For" argument, but in this case I'm going to unequivocally state that you are all wrong about billburt. I know this person, they are very talented and successful, they do NOT work for HL. You guys are simply wrong in your assertions about them.

Same goes for El Musico - I know personally, they have gotten licenses via HL and they are also not connected to that company.

So people, sometimes your calls of conspiracy and "owner account!" might be right but in this case, no, you are all barking up the wrong tree.
In light of this startling development, I'd like to offer my most sincere apologies to both billburt and El Musico. May mega-placements continue to be bestowed upon both of you!

It certainly appeared to be an open-and-shut case. Thanks for clearing the air, Cruciform.
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
It's sad when the way to make money is to make money from musicians' dreams.
That I agree with...

and yes I was a bit curt, I apologize, I just hear so much bashing, and yeah there are a lot of scams, and some that are not, in the end, you don't want to be paying submissions but if you can make good connections and then go to those connections directly, bypassing the submissions, then it was all worth it. But you do have to target the listings correctly and many people do not do that, they submit almost any song they have and then get pissed when it doesn't get sent on or picked, or licensed. Then the bashing begins.. finding out who is legit and who is not takes real research, and then the real work begins, crafting songs that target what libraries and music supervisors need. It is definitely hard water to navigate at first but if it were not for those places, I would not be where I am today with my placements, my connections and opportunities. I have weeded out the scams and go with what is working. Thanx Cruciform for vouching for me.. cranky as I was...
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Apology accepted Cat... I also know billburt well and can vouch for this very talented and successful musician. And I know no one here knows me from Adam but I was totally truthful with my post regarding my placements via HL. In fact another friend of mine just got a license today.

As with any paid placement service, YMMV. What works for some may not work for others. It's easy to get our scamdar detector beeping whenever there is money involved. Peace...
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

In honor of the 3rd party testimony that these are real people... the meme has been removed.
(I still think it was funny though...)
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
In honor of the 3rd party testimony that these are real people... the meme has been removed.
(I still think it was funny though...)
Uncle Ben would be proud of you!! And Mary Jane has a special upside down kiss for you!!!
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Never pay to submit for anything. HitLicense is still BS, I don't care if there's 3rd party testimony or not. You can do better work than HitLicense yourself without paying a dime.
Old 15th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by livide View Post
Never pay to submit for anything. HitLicense is still BS, I don't care if there's 3rd party testimony or not. You can do better work than HitLicense yourself without paying a dime.
I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into this thread too much because I know how these things go on and on and get sometimes get nasty.

Just to be clear. If you are successful pitching directly to libraries and sups on your own, you do not HAVE to use services such as HL or T (No one is twisting your arm AFAIK)... It's a personal choice. That's a separate issue from whether or not a service is truly a SCAM, meaning they don't do what they say they'll do for the money spent. My experience has been that HL is a totally legit company, not a scam. That's all I came here to say. I would never encourage anyone to use a paid service if they feel strongly it's the wrong thing to do.

Best
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search