The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Human whistling sound - How to create. Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Human whistling sound - How to create.

Has anyone ever successfully synthesised a human whistle sound ??

Tools at my disposal:

Yamaha CS6R
JV 1080
Emu Audity
Korg X3R
Korg DW8000

Out of these I find the Audity the easiest to program and the 1080 the most difficult.

It’s for a minor part (not minor key!!!) in a ‘basic scratch/sketch’ recording .. so don’t want to spend money for any VST’s which may be out there... but would like it to sound fairly convincing nevertheless.

Initially I would think some type of sine wave with a touch of white noise would be a place to start … but I’m not the greatest sound designer in the world.. so seeking opinions from people with greater sound design skills before I attempt it … and potentially waste time using the wrong method.

Many thanks.

PS. I also have two hardware samplers but cannot whistle with any degree of consistency in tone or pitch :¬) ... I envisage creating multisamples from my mic'd up attempts wouldn’t be that great.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

I would go the sampling way, I've done it very effectively several times. Whistle the different pitches whilst using as a reference a flute or recorder sample playing the same notes in your headphone mix. And practice your whistling beforehand along a few scales played by the same reference instrument. Like with anything else in the studio it takes some work to get the best results!
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
I would go the sampling way, I've done it very effectively several times. Whistle the different pitches whilst using as a reference a flute or recorder sample playing the same notes in your headphone mix. And practice your whistling beforehand along a few scales played by the same reference instrument. Like with anything else in the studio it takes some work to get the best results!
Great thanks! .... I'm going to be brave and give it a try :¬) ...

I have an EMUE6400 and Yammy A3000 ... the Emu is the most simple to use of every 'synthesis' method I have. ... I've actually just managed to hold a fairly even mid 'C' note .. lol ... but my voice is a bit like Barry White and so I’m struggling to go any higher ... .... I’ll see how far I can stretch the note before it become obvious.

reassuring that you've actually done it, though !!

Peace.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlia View Post
Great thanks! .... I'm going to be brave and give it a try :¬) ...

I have an EMUE6400 and Yammy A3000 ... the Emu is the most simple to use of every 'synthesis' method I have. ... I've actually just managed to hold a fairly even mid 'C' note .. lol ... but my voice is a bit like Barry White and so I’m struggling to go any higher ... .... I’ll see how far I can stretch the note before it become obvious.

reassuring that you've actually done it, though !!

Peace.
Ha! I had to do this a year ago for a project I was working on, it was a pita at first, then I listened to Games without Frontiers by Peter Gabriel…..

Basically I multi sampled myself (probably using a touch of melodyne for pitch), and LAYERED LAYERED LAYERED with different pannings etc… worked pretty well… at first I was trying to whistle all the parts, but once I dropped it in the sampler it became a hell of a lot easier…. touch of algorithmic verb for density (not long tails for my purposes), thickening the sound and anemic sound of my own less then "professional" whistling (), but I would recommend just sampling a few notes, applying some fx, and you will be surprised how with just the modest tools in any daw will make it work… (and hpf the stuff!)
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

You could waste hours and hours trying to come up with something, or just go get RealiWhistle for $29. Chances are you'll use it again sometime.

RealiWhistle Realitone
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
Ha! I had to do this a year ago for a project I was working on, it was a pita at first, then I listened to Games without Frontiers by Peter Gabriel…..
arhh yes... I just listened GWF !!

[QUOTE]you will be surprised how with just the modest tools in any daw will make it work… (and hpf the stuff!)[/QUOTE

Yes indeed I was surprised at the ease with which some type of result could be achieved … but I was more surprised at the low cost of Realwhistle as recommended by VitaEtMusica .... Although i appreciate that it may be much more rewarding to create your own:¬)
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
You could waste hours and hours trying to come up with something, or just go get RealiWhistle for $29. Chances are you'll use it again sometime.

RealiWhistle Realitone
and avoid real work?! , just checked that out, would have been handy….
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlia View Post
arhh yes... I just listened GWF !!)
at first i thought you were calling Peter Gabriel a (G)ay (W)hite (F)emale, i am behind on my internet slang….. ….. Hope you got what you needed!
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Improvising some whistled melodies right now. This thread kind of encouraged me to dig out a musical instrument most folks used to use quite frequently in the past, mostly during childhood. It's gorgeous in it's bare form.

There are of course these notorious whistlers who always try to underpin every situation in life with a non-adequate whistling sound. But that's not musical that's social. Let's overlook them for now.

Come on, let's practice our whistling skills. Shall we?

BTW: did you know that there are actual Word Whisteling Championships out there?

Back to the shed and dig out the mic.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Lol .... I should have typed his name in full and not be so lazy !
Regarding the whistling -- I’ve had the fun of experimenting with my old sampler and high-passing the life out of my deep whistling tone... and have been rewarded by the results ..... but my attempts fell somewhat short of what I heard on the RealiWhistle Realitone demo ... so I’ll be snatching that sometime soon I think !! - thanks to all for your help :¬)
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

RealiWhistle Realitone

Handy for commercial and video work as well. Thanks for the link.
Old 14th August 2014
Old 17th August 2014
Quote:

RealiWhistle Realitone
Gadzooks! I've finally been hit bit the sample library scourge! Whistling was my best instrument!

Curses.....
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspaas View Post
Gadzooks! I've finally been hit bit the sample library scourge! Whistling was my best instrument!

Curses.....
I actually do feel bad about that. (Even though I think you're kidding.) Sampling is a fun business (RealiWhistle is my instrument), but I do feel myself avoiding the topic of "Hey Mike! What have you been up to lately?" when I'm talking with my musician friends.
Old 27th August 2014
Lol. Actually I was only half kidding. (Whilstling is my best instrument - though I don't get much call).

Don't feel bad mate, I'm a heavy library user.
Old 27th August 2014
Any libraries out there for the human bottom whistling sound? I'm a bit stuck in that department lately.
Old 9th September 2014
Lives for gear

cheapest way is... to learn how to whistle!
Old 9th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Oh man. That sample library would have saved me hours of auto-tuning from this last Indie library CD I finished. But now I know about it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search