The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Film Production wants Rights to Score??? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritace View Post
If the composer was right moving forward..it would have been fine to keep him.
Clint Mansel has done every Aronofski film...from Pi to Noah.

Find a team and stick with them as long as it makes sense..
Very true... but Clint Mansell falls into a slightly different catagory, one similar to Hans Zimmer, Mark Mothersbaugh, and Danny Elfman in that both come from well-known rock bands. Clint was in "Pop Will Eat Itself", a band signed to RCA with several billboard top 40 hits.

So while clint started with Aronofski, he also very quickly started working with other directors which, again like I said, gave him the "lateral" moves to progress his own career parallel to Aronofski's.

While Aronofski was still trying to make a name for himself, Mansell was scoring Abandon, Murder by Numbers, Sahara, Doom, Smokin' Aces, and Definitely, Maybe.

In a lot of ways, Mansell became a bigger name quicker than Aronosfski did. Which is probably why Aronofski continues to use him. It seems like Mansell had an agent from his band days pushing him to directors/producers (including Aronofski?) and getting him gigs.
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict

While I do agree, he came to score from a slightly different route...I personally think writing Lux Aeterna on his 2nd film made his mark and got him on a lot more film radars than PWEI. It took 2 films with Aronofski to get other other Directors interested. Mansel has a style and his sound suits the way Aronofski makes films..If those films ever change, and lets see how Noah does first, then Im sure someone more suited will get the call.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Abandon and Murder by Numbers were pretty good scores, the later a good film as well.

I can't even begin to understand how Clint got Definitely Maybe. I love the guy's music but what an odd match.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Is there only cheap labor or expensive labor in the music industry? Are there any middle class earners out there?

Anyone steadily earning $40K to $80k a year for music? That is what most college graduates earn.

All I ever hear are people working for free or earning seven figure incomes. If that is the reality, why so?
When I filed my taxes this past year I was right in this range at 75k. I have a home studio where I write scores for slot machines, commercials and make tracks for professional singers. Mostly people who do cruise ship shows and need supplemental tracks. I also arrange and transcribe music as well as gigging with a band and working for a church. This is how I make a full-time living in music. I have done a few indie films but have honestly given up any aspiration of writing for film as anything more than a hobby. I have done commercial work for large companies like: Home depot, Intel, The Venetain, Caesar's Entertainment and MGM Resorts international. I have made the best of the contacts that I have made and that is what has gotten me to this point.

My hat is off to anyone who can make money doing creative dare I even say, artistic, film work. The market just seems impenetrable to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search