The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What should a composer have to handle working with video in Pro Tools?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

What should a composer have to handle working with video in Pro Tools?

I'm a relatively new composer and most of the work I have done so far has been lower end stuff like indie films and internet commercials. I always have the client provide me with a .MOV of the video so that I can work with it in Pro Tools and so far there has been no issues with this.

I'm just curious if there is something else I should look into, so that down the line I don't get stuck in a situation where I'm provided with the video in a different format and can't import it into PT to work with. What do all of you composers out there using PT have to work with video?

I should mention that I'm on PT LE8. I'm thinking about updating to PT11 soon as I believe there were some additional video features included? I'm also aware there is the DV toolkit package but I believe that cost something like 2-3k so I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to spend on that or not? Also, I'm only looking for advice regarding PT, I'm not interested in other DAWs.

Thanks!
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Nut

No one? Should I take that to mean that .MOV is the standard and I should be ok with just that?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru

I posted to your thread earlier, but I don't know what happened to it....

Anyway, there are more than one type of .mov, so I'd suggest getting quicktime pro from apple. It will let you re-save movies in various formats. It's cheap and easy to use.

If you want to output your movie on a different screen, there are firewire solutions for that but again, you have to have the .mov in the correct format.

If you want to host your video on a seperate computer, and have PT output TC to the second computer, sometimes that's the best solution of all of them. You never have to worry about the movie slowing down your work computer.

I posted more before, but that's the gist of it.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

yeah, this site was acting weird yesterday..
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'd suggest getting quicktime pro from apple. It will let you re-save movies in various formats. It's cheap and easy to use.
+1000 -- One of the most powerful underrated pieces of software I've ever come across!
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks guys! I'll definitely check out Quicktime Pro.
Old 22nd October 2013
Also, when working with ProTools use a codec like DVStream, DNxHD or PhotoJPEG, so The CPU doesn't fry trying to decode it!
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeyh View Post
Also, when working with ProTools use a codec like DVStream, DNxHD or PhotoJPEG, so The CPU doesn't fry trying to decode it!
noted, thanks Willeyh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search