The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Good cheap all rounder mic?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Good cheap all rounder mic?

This is mostly for recording random score type things. Objects around the house, acoustic guitar, bowed metal, maybe some voice over.

Want something I can get in the UK easy. I've heard good things about the Apex mics (Think they're marketed at T Bone or something here in the UK). Cheaper the better.

I was tempted to get one of those hand held Zoom things, but maybe the quality of the mic is quite low and maybe I'd be better off with a nice Ribbon mic.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

..... definitely wrong sub-forum.

That said.... Neumann KM184.
Cheaper is never better. Do it right or don't bother.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Oktava MK-012
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
..... definitely wrong sub-forum.

That said.... Neumann KM184.
Cheaper is never better. Do it right or don't bother.
I understand cheaper is (usually at least) never better. But to say do it right and buy a $1,000 mic or don't bother seems a bit extreme.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

.... an under $1000 mic... actually $700 if you buy used. Good cheap all rounder mic?Neumann KM 184 4006087085233 | eBay

PLUS.... $500-$1000 for a good mic isn't very extreme.... this is Gearslutz, after all.
It's bottom of the "professional" threshold. It is an asset that will have resale value and is a proven mic of choice.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi,

For general purpose, around the house, outdoors, and even in the studio, I use a Zoom H4n digital recorder, with a stereo condenser mic connected to the Zoom, Rode NT4. Instead of the built-in mics.

This combo sounds great to me.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
.... an under $1000 mic... actually $700 if you buy used. Good cheap all rounder mic?Neumann KM 184 4006087085233 | eBay

PLUS.... $500-$1000 for a good mic isn't very extreme.... this is Gearslutz, after all.
It's bottom of the "professional" threshold. It is an asset that will have resale value and is a proven mic of choice.
Not saying the price is extreme, but to say don't bother is extreme.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

I think an LDC would be your best bet as an all-rounder for acoustic sources + vocals. You can get good ones for not too much -- AKG 414 (used), Shure KSM32/27, Audio Technica 3035/4040 (super cheap and perfectly useable), etc...

A ribbon would impart its own character on everything (unless you want that), and an SDC would probably be unsuitable for most voiceover applications. My .02
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm no authority on the subject, but generally as far as I know,

1. Modern Neumanns don't live up to their cost, it's not the same company anymore, they're expensive because of the name, all the original engineers that built the name have left

2. There's no point in getting expensive mics if you don't have the nice recording environment/rest of the gear etc

I'm going to +1 the Zoom+condenser suggestion
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a couple of Kel mics I really like. The aforementioned Shure and AT mics are generally well-regarded and versatile. The SM7 is one you would find in most gazillion dollar studios.

That being said, if I were shopping for a single utility mic I'd look at multi-pattern mics with a pad and low cut.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Plus one for the KEL's. I've got several. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I'd prefer them over an AT4033 or the like. They have more character, in great ways. I've used the HM2-D on everything, and it sounds great! They've been heard on a bunch of TV show cues!
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

Neumann TLM-102. On the cheaper side, I'd check AKG C214 and cheaper Audio-Technica mics. I'm working with them every day, they are little bright but decent for the money.
Old 28th October 2013
Condenser: cad m179

Terrific mic!
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

The two words "cheap" and "utilitarian" would send me running straight for a CAD m179. Very solid, and extremely versatile, LDC that is ridiculously cheap. I've got a pair and if I didn't have a pair of 414b-ULS I'd be using them all over the place.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search