The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any Thoughts on Score-A-Score
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

Any Thoughts on Score-A-Score

Hi,

for those that have composed music for TV, trailers, short films, movies, etc. have any of you used Score A Score (www.scoreascore.com)? Any Music Sups utilizing this site and finding quality work?

I was accepted by the site, but found the pricing to be low i.e. composers undercutting the competition. Of course, you don't know this until you're actually accepted.

Just curious to see what other opinions are of this site.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I took a listen to a few of the tracks. Pretty amateur stuff. I think the music is priced extremely high for what they are offering. The stuff I heard sounds a lot like some of my college students (when I used to teach) who were just getting their feet wet with composing and production.

There's an opinion in there somewhere.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

First track I hear is a bite from zimmer's man of steel.

ScoreAScore

First song - theodore K

real quality website..
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

Quite literally, I've heard better right here on Gearslutz. When I first heard of them, they were touting having "Grammy winners" using their service (no names mentioned, of course).

Hmmmmm.
Old 21st October 2013

what **** arced piece of amateur ****e is that website? Fu.ck man - the world is becoming over run with wannabe entrepreneurs.... we thought we had it bad in music !!! Just terrible....
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru

How do you REALLY feel about it Narco???
Old 22nd October 2013

raaarrrgggggggghhhhh
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

It's unfortunate to see people speak badly about this website, because I work for it, and I am very proud of what we do here at sAs.

We're not trying to screw anyone over, we're really trying to help musicians.

We are giving musicians a chance, and presenting them with opportunities to have their work heard and get paid for it. That's why we're here, and we are truly dedicated to this.

I listen to every musician that registers for our site, and if there's anyone that sees this and can tell me that they've never heard from us after registering, then they should let me know directly.

Leading off of that, if you have any questions, complaints, suggestions, fanmail, hatemail, anything really, please do send to [email protected]. I will get back to you right away.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

People who own/work for these companies must hate forums. They're always making accounts to defend their business.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
what **** arced piece of amateur ****e is that website? Fu.ck man - the world is becoming over run with wannabe entrepreneurs.... we thought we had it bad in music !!! Just terrible....
Get off the fence Narco, please stop equivocating! ; )

Yeah it's just depressing. I could go on - but then this post would turn into a lengthy rant... And end up in the Groan Zone.
Old 9th November 2013
Stuff isn't great, but for the price it is good. I wish this site much success for the future.
Old 14th November 2013
Look out bottom, here we come!
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Why are some tracks on that site cheaper to clear for All Media than Web only?
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Why are some tracks on that site cheaper to clear for All Media than Web only?
Yeah, I was trying to figure that one out too. Made no sense to me.
Old 10th June 2014
Here for the gear

Experience at ScoreAScore

I composed for ScoreAScore for a few years, part time. I was lucky enough to be one of the first professional-level composers on the site and for a couple of years I made a bit of my rent money from the company while making my way as a composer. While I am happy for the money I made, I don't feel the least bit indebted, as I composed some good music for clients and ScoreAScore's 40% percent is eight times what a normal agent or lawyer would charge. There were numerous times when I was jolted out of bed to spend an all-nighter composing for prospective clients, only to find out that they didn't buy in the long run. I know that is part of the business, though. As soon as I got my own cable TV show and had the assurance from my representation that ScoreAScore had a bad reputation amongst reputable composers and industry professionals, I resigned. The couple of grand from a good commercial wasn't worth the stress and overwhelming feeling of being taken advantage of. The true problem is that my fellow composers and I were clients of ScoreAScore, but Jordan Passman, son of music industry legend Don Passman, saw us as his product. As soon as I had a viable out, not from a full-time job, but from that feeling that this entitled boy felt entitled to me as an artist. The fact is, he will never be a composer and he will never be his father and no self-sufficient artist has a need to add to his power. And because of that, ScoreAScore is a stepping stool for young artists who will outgrow it.
Old 10th June 2014
Here for the gear

ScoreAScore "the internets leading sound marketplace" (beta) :p with a wordpress website to boot...............must really be the internets best
Old 7th July 2015
Here for the gear

I submitted some material for SaS a few months back and within 6 weeks or so they sent me a contract. As of June 2015, the contract states that after you are paid $500, SaS will own 100% of the submitted song and split revenue 50%. In my opinion, this is robbery. The contract itself is very aggressive and favors "the house", as the case usual is. My advice, stay away, you'll be exploited.
Old 26th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthe5th View Post
I submitted some material for SaS a few months back and within 6 weeks or so they sent me a contract. As of June 2015, the contract states that after you are paid $500, SaS will own 100% of the submitted song and split revenue 50%. In my opinion, this is robbery. The contract itself is very aggressive and favors "the house", as the case usual is. My advice, stay away, you'll be exploited.
Thanks for explaining the reality of the deal...
will keep that in mind
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Kind of funny that parts of his dad's book would tell you to negotiate and avoid contracts like that.
Old 26th July 2015
Gear Maniac

I'd be happy for the beats I have on SaS to make $500, and they'll own 50%. I'd be happy if most of my stuff does that, honestly.
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by livide View Post
I'd be happy for the beats I have on SaS to make $500, and they'll own 50%. I'd be happy if most of my stuff does that, honestly.
You've commented elsewhere that you have career aspirations in this field. You may want to take another look at the negative long term effects of entering into agreements with predatory companies. I've seen their deal. It's not a good one.
Old 26th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrenebbage View Post
You've commented elsewhere that you have career aspirations in this field. You may want to take another look at the negative long term effects of entering into agreements with predatory companies. I've seen their deal. It's not a good one.
I signed 5 or so tracks with them when I first started licensing out last year. No placements or anything. I don't think I'll be signing more in any case. I'd rather sign somewhere else... I don't think my stuff is a good fit for their library anyways.
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

I don't think SaS really place much. Most of their briefs need custom music. Saying that I've submitted a few tracks that took an couple of hours to make that I had in my own library and they got picked. Very good money for the time invested, couldn't care less if they owned this stuff as I could do 10 a day and a exclusive library wouldn't take it.

The briefs on there now mostly ask for way too much for the money. And if the gig is a big job, I've worked on something to submit, only for it to be taken off half way through working on it because SaS told me the client found someone outside of SaS.
Old 26th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
I don't think SaS really place much. Most of their briefs need custom music. Saying that I've submitted a few tracks that took an couple of hours to make that I had in my own library and they got picked. Very good money for the time invested, couldn't care less if they owned this stuff as I could do 10 a day and a exclusive library wouldn't take it.

The briefs on there now mostly ask for way too much for the money. And if the gig is a big job, I've worked on something to submit, only for it to be taken off half way through working on it because SaS told me the client found someone outside of SaS.
Are you getting the "insider" briefs for them? I just get the ones for $50
Old 26th July 2015
Lives for gear

No, I gets emails, but I log in and see various jobs. Whether or not that is tailored to me I don't know. I've seen jobs from $50 (or free!!!) to $2,000 (but we're talking 90 min long film here needing a lot of work).
Old 25th April 2016
I just got a check for 6k from some reuse rebook spot I did 2 years ago from Score a score. I got paid twice on that commercial and thats what those contracts do for you. The contract just gives them the right to exploit the music which is the point of working with them in the first place. My experience with those guys has been nothing but stellar. IMO if you want to be successful winning gigs from these online music maketplace's you have to create the relationship. I don't know how SAS does their filtering but after reading your posts it sounds like they don't post every job "$$$". I just kept submitting and thats how I landed the NOAH trailer...serious pay out.
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchmusic View Post
I just got a check for 6k from some reuse rebook spot I did 2 years ago from Score a score. I got paid twice on that commercial and thats what those contracts do for you. The contract just gives them the right to exploit the music which is the point of working with them in the first place. My experience with those guys has been nothing but stellar. IMO if you want to be successful winning gigs from these online music maketplace's you have to create the relationship. I don't know how SAS does their filtering but after reading your posts it sounds like they don't post every job "$$$". I just kept submitting and thats how I landed the NOAH trailer...serious pay out.
Could you post a link to the NOAH trailer you did?
Old 25th April 2016
Lives for gear

Congrats on that placement.

The last bit at the end, the guitar, is that your track? The reason I ask is because it sounds just like a guitar stem from a trailer cue I have with a library.
Old 25th April 2016
Oh nice but that part isn't mine. I am pretty sure there's like 3 or 4 different cues in that Trailer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search