The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My first orchestral composition, advice needed
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Head

My first orchestral composition, advice needed

Hi,

I completed this a while ago, it was my first try at orchestral composition so I am interested to find out peoples thoughts and opinions. I enjoyed the process and would love to explore this style in the future.

Please bear in mind that I am very much an amateur with no training and had only been teaching myself music from scratch for a short time.

Any opinions, critiques, and suggestions for improvement would be welcome. Cheers.

Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

This is quite impressive considering you have taught yourself!!
I like the dark feel to it, especially those strings :-)
I felt it needed some rhythm, maybe some percussion, just to add some more interest.

What software do you use?

You're on the right track, maybe do some sort of course in Music Tech so you can learn about production amongst other things?
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Head

Thanks Amy,

I appreciate the comment and i totally agree. Rhythm is something that is lacking in most of my tracks, since I started out producing ambient tracks which are deliberately void of rhythm I think perhaps this carried over here. If I tackle another orchestral piece I will definitely try and add more percussive elements and some rhythm!!

The hardest thing I have come across so far is clarity, I had a listen to some of your stuff and I really like how clear all the elements were. Any advice on that front?

In terms of software I use Reaper alongside reason, a bunch of VST's and Refills for strings and synth.

Also in terms of a course in music tech, I dont think that will be on the cards any time soon since I have just started a masters course in cognitive neuroscience haha (in fact i should probably be studying right now!!).
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

I would say that the clarity probably comes down to EQ and balance/panning.
I didn't do anything to the instruments in mine, but I do make sure I can hear everything and don't let them get drowned out.

I've never heard of reaper. I use Logic Pro at college, as that's the only time I get to make stuff!!

Also about the rhythm. It doesn't have to be percussion, it could even be a brass or string instrument playing in the background subtly or loudly :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search