The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Getting you music on TV/Film.
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Nut

Getting you music on TV/Film.

Let's say I have an opportunity to get my music in a commercial for television or in a trailer for a feature film, do I need to be part of SOCAN, ASCAP, BMI, etc. to make it happen?

How does this type of thing work? The producers need to know I am the true owner/creator of the work, so how can I reassure them? Also, when I want to register with SOCAN, I need to have had work already publicly performed on television, film, etc.

If anyone could help me understand this a bit better, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycarson View Post
Let's say I have an opportunity to get my music in a commercial for television or in a trailer for a feature film, do I need to be part of SOCAN, ASCAP, BMI, etc. to make it happen?

How does this type of thing work? The producers need to know I am the true owner/creator of the work, so how can I reassure them? Also, when I want to register with SOCAN, I need to have had work already publicly performed on television, film, etc.

If anyone could help me understand this a bit better, it would be greatly appreciated!
Your PRO - ASCAP, BMI, SOCAN, etc. will collect performance royalties for you. Without an association, you will get NO backend money. There's no reason NOT to join. The only question is WHICH one, and that's another topic altogether. Suffice it to say, you don't have to be a member to place your music, but you are insane not to be a member.

Don't know anything about registering with SOCAN. Maybe someone else can help with that subject.

Re: owner/creator : Any user of your music will want you to indemnify them. ie: protect them against any copyright infringement lawsuits. In your contract, you will state that you are the one and only creator of the work, or in the case of collaborations, that you are in charge of and entitled to do the deal, and that it is 100% original music and no one else has any legal rights to the song. (Better make sure ALL samples are clear for whatever type of placement you are doing,) Also that there are no other writers, publishers, or legal entities with any rights to said piece of music. (An old publisher, co-writer, work for hire corp., etc.) In your contract, you will promise to pay both YOUR and THEIR legal fees ( $$$$$$ X 2 ) if any copyright infringement issues occur anywhere down the line. Scary and expensive stuff. Makes me RUN from any thought of getting remotely close to anything I know is someone elses copyright.
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Your PRO - ASCAP, BMI, SOCAN, etc. will collect performance royalties for you. Without an association, you will get NO backend money. There's no reason NOT to join. The only question is WHICH one, and that's another topic altogether. Suffice it to say, you don't have to be a member to place your music, but you are insane not to be a member.

Don't know anything about registering with SOCAN. Maybe someone else can help with that subject.

Re: owner/creator : Any user of your music will want you to indemnify them. ie: protect them against any copyright infringement lawsuits. In your contract, you will state that you are the one and only creator of the work, or in the case of collaborations, that you are in charge of and entitled to do the deal, and that it is 100% original music and no one else has any legal rights to the song. (Better make sure ALL samples are clear for whatever type of placement you are doing,) Also that there are no other writers, publishers, or legal entities with any rights to said piece of music. (An old publisher, co-writer, work for hire corp., etc.) In your contract, you will promise to pay both YOUR and THEIR legal fees ( $$$$$$ X 2 ) if any copyright infringement issues occur anywhere down the line. Scary and expensive stuff. Makes me RUN from any thought of getting remotely close to anything I know is someone elses copyright.
Great help! Thanks Dr. Bill!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search