The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audiosparx
Old 16th June 2016
Gear Maniac

I signed my deal with them when I was under 18. And when you're under 18 and sign a contract, technically it is not a legal document. I want to remove my stuff from their site. Is it possible to do that telling them I was under 18 when I signed the deal?
Old 16th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by livide View Post
I signed my deal with them when I was under 18. And when you're under 18 and sign a contract, technically it is not a legal document. I want to remove my stuff from their site. Is it possible to do that telling them I was under 18 when I signed the deal?
I think it's worth it to try; you have nothing to lose, esp. if you do not want to do business with them anymore.

Did you have a parent's or guardian's consent? If yes, then the contract is legally binding.

Did they know you were under 18, or did you sign the contract under false pretenses? That may be a problem for you. Or maybe not.

All that said, this is something that people who are not lawyers on an internet forum can not address directly. Find an attorney qualified to answer your Qs, and go from there.

Cheers.
Old 17th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
I think it's worth it to try; you have nothing to lose, esp. if you do not want to do business with them anymore.

Did you have a parent's or guardian's consent? If yes, then the contract is legally binding.

Did they know you were under 18, or did you sign the contract under false pretenses? That may be a problem for you. Or maybe not.

All that said, this is something that people who are not lawyers on an internet forum can not address directly. Find an attorney qualified to answer your Qs, and go from there.

Cheers.
Thinking I should just leave it. I would like my stuff removed, but it's not a big deal. 20 tracks I signed a few years ago that aren't good when compared to where I'm at now. I didn't have my parents sign, I signed it myself.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
20 tracks I signed a few years ago that aren't good when compared to where I'm at now.
so why do you want to remove them? we're all gonna start with **** tracks in comparison to what we can do years down the line but i dont see why you want to erase history, if anything its nice to see where you once were and were you are now.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc View Post
so why do you want to remove them? we're all gonna start with **** tracks in comparison to what we can do years down the line but i dont see why you want to erase history, if anything its nice to see where you once were and were you are now.
I can understand from a professional point of view. If clients google your name and see 10 year old tracks all over royalty free libraries, your stock could take a hit. I don't like the idea of my earliest attempts in this business being locked into these libraries for anyone to hear. My audiosparx music is littered through-out the web, especially as audiosparx make a lot of facebook and twitter posts with links to your tracks whenever they get a license. Just another thing to bear in mind when signing up with these type of libraries!

I'm not ashamed of them, I've just worked hard to get better at what I do and those tracks remain in the cloud. It's almost like having your school photos online.
Old 18th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 View Post
I can understand from a professional point of view. If clients google your name and see 10 year old tracks all over royalty free libraries, your stock could take a hit. I don't like the idea of my earliest attempts in this business being locked into these libraries for anyone to hear. My audiosparx music is littered through-out the web, especially as audiosparx make a lot of facebook and twitter posts with links to your tracks whenever they get a license. Just another thing to bear in mind when signing up with these type of libraries!

I'm not ashamed of them, I've just worked hard to get better at what I do and those tracks remain in the cloud. It's almost like having your school photos online.
Old 18th June 2016
Gear Maniac

fair enough. but i think you're only as good as your last track. if a client loves what you do now thats all that matters. the early Ed Sheeran stuff is all over the internet and its rubbish, do you think it affects his career? well actually i think these days he's more preoccupied avoiding copyright legal cases
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

This thread is fabulous.

I like audiosparx and think that it comes in for some unfair criticism. It's a tough business and difficult to find a business model that is sustainable. They've been at it for twenty years. Recently I read a list of 90 libraries that have gone under. I've only just started submitting and not sold a thing yet but have found them extremely helpful and competent. I would improve the tagging system if it were me but hey. I also share the worries expressed earlier about pay-per-click search promotions, but even this is arguable. It seem to me that only people with decent music will bother to waste money on PPC.

It's horses for courses as usual. Each library is different and the artist/composer has to decide what will best suit their music and their career. After a year of research I concluded that there is no way to choose between libraries without first-hand experience of their placement success rate, payment system, promotion system, client base, support system and a post-graduate degree in publishing law. That is, there's no way to decide without getting your hands dirty and taking some risks.

I also discovered that crap music is big business. I was dismissive at first, all the bedroom music with little musical competence, but what works for sync is not what works for the concert hall or pub gig. A naff guitar riff with some uninspired harmonies might be exactly what is required.

The perpetuity clause is understandable, and unless the music is exclusive I can't see that it's a big deal.

Thanks to Barbie and Lee for commenting, and more power to your elbow as they say around here. The only real problem for composers is other composers.
Old 22nd November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGJ View Post
This thread is fabulous.

I like audiosparx .

've o not sold a thing yet .

Professionally speaking: Stop waiting your time "liking" audio sparks

So they are willing to shoot the breeze as they not place your stuff?

Great you've made new friends

But you still have to work so....

Listen, one thing I've learned about this business is that if talk is not quickly followed up by a check, then it's BS

When I get into "Money" slots there is no waiting around, no BS promises, I am paid upfront and backend

THOSE are the people you need to be talking to, not people who want to play "Music biz"

I write for some legit production houses, we get the cue order, and a deadline and an upfront check, the last thing they want to do is TALK to us

I remember after wasting several hours uploading my orphan cues to audio-sparks, I got an email from them to the effect of "Hey could you re-post this on face book, is good to get people recognizing you" That was when I knew I had wasted my time, nobody who pays me gives a rats ass about getting to know me, they want the job done, and they sure as hell didn't find me on facebook either,

Go find someone who is making the money you want to make and do whatever it takes to get them to lift the velvet rope, the audiosparks of the world will only delay your success.
Lives for gear

I stand by what I said. If you're working with production houses and receiving upfront checks that's great. But not being able to win Wimbledon doesn't mean not joining the local tennis club for a knockabout. Compare like for like and AS is fine.

The amount of placements a person receives is a poor indicator of anything unless one knows what the music is like. Sure, AS is not upmarket, but neither is my music yet, and for me it's little fun hobby not my living.

I made no mention of whether AS is good at placing the music. I was countering some criticism that seemed a little unfair.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz View Post
I get playlisted all the time but 0 placements

One thing I do get is a statement once every so often for $0.0000

I wish you all the luck with them but for me at least (I have music used with many major tv stations etc) they have been a complete waste of time.

This is all any new composers need to know

You need to spend time finding places you will make money, vampire companies like this will eat up your time and talent and give you a pitance in return

You have to tell the world you are worth more than that or you never will be

So young guys, NO this isn't a good place to start, it/s a good place to waste you time
Lives for gear
Quote:
I stand by what I said. If you're working with production houses and receiving upfront checks that's great. But not being able to win Wimbledon doesn't mean not joining the local tennis club for a knockabout. Compare like for like and AS is fine.

The amount of placements a person receives is a poor indicator of anything unless one knows what the music is like. Sure, AS is not upmarket, but neither is my music yet, and for me it's little fun hobby not my living.

I made no mention of whether AS is good at placing the music. I was countering some criticism that seemed a little unfair.
Do what you will,

As for your Wimbeldon analogy

I love hockey, I play rec league, I will never make the NHL

But I sill keep my head up, look around before going into the corners with speed, and resist the urge to "submarine" anyone if I throw a check.

This is because no matter what level you are at there are certain things in hockey that keep you and your opponents safe, healthy and able to play
another day,

Work against those principals and everyone suffers

and if I did I would also get my ass kicked
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear
Time has passed and I would just like to remind everyone that audiosparks is a predatory organization looking to take advantage of you

there is nothing of value they can do for your career, you will not be paid anything that isn't an insult

take a stand against these vampires and tell the music business you are worth something, do not do business with thieves
Old 13th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by livide View Post
Thinking I should just leave it. I would like my stuff removed, but it's not a big deal. 20 tracks I signed a few years ago that aren't good when compared to where I'm at now. I didn't have my parents sign, I signed it myself.
Don't! call them and DEMAND they remove them unless they want to be known for conning minors
Old 13th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Time has passed and I would just like to remind everyone that audiosparks is a predatory organization looking to take advantage of you

there is nothing of value they can do for your career, you will not be paid anything that isn't an insult

take a stand against these vampires and tell the music business you are worth something, do not do business with thieves
Any evidence you'd like to share?
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Addict

Hey guys I read this whole thread and see a lot of negative stuff here. I was excepted and I am in a few other libraries non exclusively and I am trying to get all my non exclusive stuff in as many libraries as possible. I am a new composer and have a few placements but I am trying to get more stuff out there and get a lot more placements under my belt for my resumes and royalties sake. Should I really be worried about my stuff never being taken down if I would like to continue to see royalties from it for however long some one wants to buy it? I WILL NOT go exclusive but is there any reason not to have my non exclusive stuff on as many sites as possible? Will other libraries really turn me down just for being in Audiosparx?
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Addict

So is it safe to submit or not? I just got accepted. Looking for some advice here...
Old 3rd May 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingForRoots View Post
So is it safe to submit or not? I just got accepted. Looking for some advice here...
Do you think it is safe? It is something you have to decide for yourself based on the evidence you see.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Do you think it is safe? It is something you have to decide for yourself based on the evidence you see.
Isnt the idea to get your music in as many non exclusive libraries as possible? The only downside I see being suggested is that you cannot get you music removed. Why would you want your music removed? Don't you want as many tracks as possible out there and making you money? Can you help me understand?
Quote:
Isnt the idea to get your music in as many non exclusive libraries as possible? The only downside I see being suggested is that you cannot get you music removed. Why would you want your music removed? Don't you want as many tracks as possible out there and making you money? Can you help me understand?
I think you already have the answer you want. Start submitting your music!
Gear Head

You have to either listen to people with experience or learn from your own mistakes.

You make the choice, hey people vote for tax avoiding billionaires.

Quote:
Gear Guru

Quote:
Isnt the idea to get your music in as many non exclusive libraries as possible?

No, that's not the idea. At least not IMO. Overexposure, and undercutting yourself is not a good plan. IMO.
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Addict

Can someone explain to me why its bad for them to sell my music forever? I'm not being a smart ass.... I really want to understand this better?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Can someone explain to me why its bad for them to sell my music forever? I'm not being a smart ass.... I really want to understand this better?
Control - you loose it.

What if you developed a relationship with a real library and they wanted your music exclusively? You're screwed. What if you find that Audiosparx is selling your music for 1/2 what another library is and all your clients are now heading to Audiosparx to buy your music. You just lost half your income. What if you just feel over-exposed and want to thin down a library that's not working for you and that's Audiosparx? Can't do it. What if a library you want to work with will not allow your music to be placed in another library they don't like.....say...Audiosparx. Now you can't take advantage of a potentially profitable library. What if Audiosparx sells the library and you don't like the new management. Sorry pal - you're outta luck. There's dozens of reasons you might feel like not participating sometime in the future. Can you envision all of them today?

There is no REASON for Audiosparx to hold your music in perpetuity like a traditional library - they did not buy your master rights and publishing - they just "allow" you to participate. They are just a generalized dumping ground for music. They would not have to remove a CD or CD's or redo artwork or pull back hard drives as Extreme or Killer or Megatrax would. There is no reason for it other than to strip the control out of your hands.

Bottom line - either you control your music and destiny or someone else does. If someone else does, do you think they have YOUR best interest at heart or their own? Now, all that said, if you're KILLING IT with Audiosparx, then of course there's no reason to remove your music. But all libraries are not good fits for all styles of music. Just because you're "accepted" does not make it a good reason to join. You should be vetting libraries HARDER than they are vetting you.

IMO, there is only one reason for a non-exclusive library to demand rights in perpetuity - and that's that they fear you will end up not happy with them and want to pull your music out. That's not the kind of company I want to team up with.
Old 4th May 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
The downside is if your music is in with 8 different libraries... the standard $1000 license gets chiseled down to $50, and so instead of making $500 you make $25.

Don't for a second kid yourself into thinking clients that license music don't notice the same exact tracks with different titles. none of the even moderately sized clients that license music do so in a bubble.

they all have an internal search engine that they use... ALL catalogs get loaded into the one search system. So all 8 or 12 or 15 instances of your same track in different catalogs gets loaded into the same search system... and since it's the exact same track it's going to have the same tempo, BPM, mood, style, feel, instrumentation, etc... all the metadata that a client uses to search for a track is going to be exactly the same across all instances, the only difference is going to be the song title and publisher/library name. But usually your tracks will actually show up one right after the other in the search system so when moving down the results page and playing the first 4 or 5 seconds of each track it is instantly noticeable when you come across the same track with a different title.

If your track is good for the spot... then the bidding war begins as the music supervisor calls the first library that has your track, then the second, then the third and so on... Most music supervisors that use non-exclusive catalogs do so because of this very fact!!! They can take a $500 or $1000 license and chew it down through negotiations and pitting libraries against each other until the price bottoms out. The library itself doesn't really care how cheap it gets licensed for, they just want the license, the credit and the "market share" that getting the license provides. They didn't pay to make it, they don't pay very much at all to distribute it... so long as they make a couple bucks and can advertise they got the placement that is all they care about because that will attract even more people to give to the catalog... and ultimately that is the goal of pretty much all of these non-exclusive catalogs. They are trying to accumulate as much music as possible in the shortest amount of time as possible so they can turn around and sell the company for as much money as possible (and the composers don't make a dime). Premium Beat, Pump Audio, etc have all sold for $30 to $40 MILLION!!! The owners didn't pay a dime for the music they now own. Nor do they even really pay that much in overhead to distribute it... and so they can basically take all the composers hard work and turn it into millions of dollars for themselves.

Anyway... if you are going the non-exclusive route... I would still suggest you only put each track with one catalog. having it in multiple catalogs doesn't do anything but devalue your tracks and you are never even notified of it. When you see your statements and payments... they don't show you what the license was supposed to be or should have been. They just show you how much it licensed for. Some have set fees for online licensing... but with a bigger client that does a lot of licenses they will negotiate lower fees if asked. And those licenses are usually the bigger ones that get negotiated down.
Old 6th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Any evidence you'd like to share?
You want evidence?

Go back a few posts to the guy who gets playlisted all the time (That means his music is being played at malls, water parks, elevators etc.) and who's statements say "$0.0000"

His music is being used

He is not being paid

The fact that you have taken the time to defend this should be "evidence" enough to anyone here that you are not to be trusted.

Think twice the next time you try and defend that which is undefendable or even better stop doing or supporting things in this life that do not pass the "Golden Rule" test
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think you already have the answer you want. Start submitting your music!
Before you take the preceding advice ask yourself this: Do you want to "submit" music? (I.E Surrender, give up, relinquish)

Or do you want to SELL music?

If you want to do the latter avoid Audiosparks and all other libraries like them, you need to meet some people who are getting cue orders and being paid for them, they need extra hands to handle the workload, you will get front and backend, those are the ONLY types or situations that are worth your time, everyone else is trying to get something for nothing and to be avoided.

Let me quote Gene Simmons of KISS here, who knows a thing or two about business, he said this during a conversation with Henry Rollins from Black Flag while the two were discussing the music business:

"You don't get the respect you want or deserve, you get the respect you DEMAND, if you act as though what you do has no value then don't be surprised when the pot of gold keeps getting moved to the end of the OTHER rainbow, they will keep you running between rainbows and not paying you a dime for as long as you let them. If what you do has value, DEMAND to be paid for it, if it doesn't have value then either get better or go do something else, people will take advantage of you for as long as you LET THEM."

Now, all of you who have made more money in the music business than Gene Simmons go ahead and explain why new composers should take your advice over his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Now, all of you who have made more money in the music business than Gene Simmons go ahead and explain why new composers should take your advice over his.
I will not take Gene Simmons advice.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will not take Gene Simmons advice.
And I'm sure Audiosparks are thrilled to hear it!
Old 20th May 2017
Here for the gear

Do anybody, watch serious grows of earning from radiosparx. ? In digits this something about 100$ per month, instead of 1-2$ as it was early.
📝 Reply