The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Asked to provide music, but have no library. Should I?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Asked to provide music, but have no library. Should I?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should take on a particular aspect of a case I'm working on.

I'm recording the voice over for a customer and he's asked if I can also provide the background music for each track. In total, I'll need about 80 songs. Each track ranges from 5 min ~ 9 min, so I'll need to also spend time getting the lengths right.

He needs a very specific feeling (lounge-ish/yoga-ish).

Now the problem is, I don't normally provide music of this amount. Usually a customer needs a track or two at most; which I'm happy to purchase individually and work into the price. But with this many, I'd never make his budget using this way. (budget isn't defined yet. but I tend to get cheap-asses because we mainly provide Chinese voice over...and since "made in China" = CHEAP in many cases, I guess customers assume that also goes for voice over work. ugh! )

Are there any options out there for someone like me in this situation? Or is this just beyond my scope and I should have him look elsewhere? (I can do the work, just need the music)

By options I mean, some sort of buyout that has enough tracks [and in that genre no less] that he would likely approve. I'd consider paying more than I'd make for the case and chalk it up as an investment for the future, but again, I don't have many cases that need it.

I've always been curious about those sites with huge libraries that you need to sign up for....but somehow I get the feeling that I'll be spending thousands up front. (extremetracks, 5alarm music, killertracks, etc)

Thanks for any and all advice. Please feel free to smack me one if my post is similar to hundreds of others.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

You can always call one of those music licensing companies and see if you can negotiate. It will likely cost a LOT of money depending on usage.

The biggest problem is that you will probably have a hard time finding 80 tracks that sound good and similar enough to be used for the same project.

If I were you, I would look into hiring a composer who can write 80 similar sounding tracks for a set price. Or maybe just 20 tracks and reuse them?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Damn that's a good idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that option. Will still cost a pretty penny. But music's content is pretty basic, so yeah, could have a set amount of songs and then have those remixed into several more. That might actually make the cost manageable.

Thanks!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I worked on several lowbudg TV series that had music mostly by Pump Audio. A deal was made (incl. the network and the distro people) and we were sent several drives with a large music library selected for us on it. This worked out very well--there was good usable music in many genres, the licensing was quite simple, and the editors had run of the whole collection w/o having to ask for permission for each track.

phil p
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

We actually offer all 9,400 music tracks in our library (over 100 volumes) for $1,499 ... but you can get a 25% discount on this for first time purchase so it would come to a little over $1000, plus you'd have music for all future projects ....

Twisted|Collection | Royalty Free Music Volume

you can search all the genres at

http://www.sfxsource.com/royalty-free-music.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search