The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
80s horror synths
Old 24th October 2010
Here for the gear

Seriously check out Wusikstation. It's a rather cheap rompler workstation with lots of sampled synth sounds and much more. They are having a group buy these days where you can get 15 gb worth of sounds for 59 bucks.I just purchased this the other day and I'm really happy I did so. Lots and lots of vintage sounding patches. Especially love the Fairlight sounds!! heh
Old 24th October 2010
g22
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
The Escape From New York soundtrack is always in my playlist as is The Thing. I love those soundtracks. Also, maybe not horror per-se but definitely disturbing is the Clockwork Orange with undoubtedly one of the absolute best synth soundtracks ever created.
Clockwork Orange is one of my fav movies. It was really creepy the first time I saw it but I just watched it again a few months ago, and wasn't as disturbing as I remembered it, but the score was pretty cool.

"It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van." - Alex

lol
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

wendy (née walter) carlos is dope indeed.
Old 26th October 2010
Here for the gear

HI folks !

to my ears, this band have a taste for vampires, those F*CKing bass is
almost gore in this track :

YouTube - CRAVE FOR LOVE

And they just look nasty like them :
YouTube - The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Promo-Cosmic Love

FFFFFFFFLASH
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTelecine-Lex View Post
The other dominant synth was the Yamaha CS80, which comprised the bulk of the PHANTASM score. Best Regards, -Lex
There's no CS-80 on that score. The only synths used were an ARP Odyssey and a Minimoog. Also featured on Phantasm are a mellotron, Yamaha YC-30 & YC-45D combo organs, Hohner clavinet, Fender Rhodes and piano.

Btw, shouldn't this thread go in the Electronic music instruments forum?
Old 13th November 2010
Lives for gear

80s horror synths

Yes, you are correct with regard to the CS-80 not being used on the soundtrack to PHANTASM. I was listening to a playlist named PHANTASM and misinterpreted CS-80's that was used on a squeal not the original

My Apologies for such a dreadful mistake, as the soundtrack to the original is far above to its successors IMO - Most people in the world tend to agree

Thank you for the correction; my apologies for the late acknowledgement.

Best,
Lex

Last edited by aTelecine-Lex; 16th November 2010 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: I should not use iPhone APP while walking in the AIRPORT
Old 14th November 2010
Gear Nut

This is an awesome thread. I am making my first movie soundtrack (or trying to) and it is an homage to 80s horror, so I've had fun trying to capture that dated 80s sound. Strategically adding noise, wow and flutter, cutting the high end... it is really fun to succeed and make stuff that sounds 30 years old. Thanks for the awesome information. I would argue that there are a LOT of people who have a fetish for the dated 80s music aesthetic, especially the Italo sound which is really hard to get in-the-box. I am totally listening to every 80s movie I can, from The Monster Squad to The Heavenly Kid to The Garbage Pail kids. The more wretched sounding, the better. I just really need an 80s rock singer that has a studio and can sing a song.
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Regarding Italian Horror Film Soundtracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnemo View Post
This is an awesome thread. I am making my first movie soundtrack (or trying to) and it is an homage to 80s horror, so I've had fun trying to capture that dated 80s sound. Strategically adding noise, wow and flutter, cutting the high end... it is really fun to succeed and make stuff that sounds 30 years old. Thanks for the awesome information. I would argue that there are a LOT of people who have a fetish for the dated 80s music aesthetic, especially the Italo sound which is really hard to get in-the-box. I am totally listening to every 80s movie I can, from The Monster Squad to The Heavenly Kid to The Garbage Pail kids. The more wretched sounding, the better. I just really need an 80s rock singer that has a studio and can sing a song.
Should you be so inclined, I would highly recommend looking into the work of Italian composer Riz Ortolani. His work is wonderful, in my view, often beautiful.

Regarding horror films specifically he was the composer of Gualtiero Jacopetti's Mondo Cane (1962) and Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust (1980) The latter being one of my favourite soundtracks ever released.

The Ortolani instrumental "Ti guarderò nel cuore" was reworked (and re-titled to "More") and included in the film Mondo Cane. "More" was subsequently nominated for an Oscar for best song.

By the appearance of what you described of interest in your post you will probably be fond of the latter, Cannibal Holocaust's soundtrack. It contains both the beautiful, the title sequence (possibly my most beloved piece of music) to full "Italo" horror soundtrack (with some funk twist?)

To be sure, as is most often the case with music - It's better heard the described; perhaps particularly so in this case. In any event, it is worthy of listening to for both it's beauty and it's innovation in the realm of horror soundtracks-and beyond.

I believe while the original soundtrack was limited to 1000 records (which I am a proud owner of an unopened copy It was re-released recently on Coffin Records (I believe I do not have my copy at hand) So it should be fairly easy to find currently.

(Please advise if you have any issue finding a copy or if I am incorrect about the label and I will happily help you)

I hope you have occasion to hear some of the aforementioned work and I would love to hear your thoughts should you care to share.

Happy Listening

Best Regards,
-Lex
Old 17th November 2010
Lives for gear

I've been going through a Cronenberg phase lately.. i'm sort of curious what howard shore was using circa Scanners, Videodrome, etc. anyone have a clue?
Old 6th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
I've been going through a Cronenberg phase lately.. i'm sort of curious what howard shore was using circa Scanners, Videodrome, etc. anyone have a clue?
Howard Shore was using a synclavier at the time.
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
wendy (née walter) carlos is dope indeed.
Switched On Bach stays on rotation.
Old 9th February 2011
Gear Head

I know this! I'm the biggest nerd ever about this stuff. Carpenter and John Harrison ( Day of the Dead, Creepshow) primarily used a Prophet 5 rev.2. I have spent hours upon hours recreating exact patches and playing along with the soundtracks. Claudio Simonetti from Goblin played a Rhodes MK2, a Minimoog, and a Roland Jupiter 8. Fabio Frizzi played a mellotron and a Minimoog. I honestly think the Prophet 5 and Korg Polysix are both very very capable of capturing this mood perfectly. Check out Manuel De Sica too. And the band Zombi uses a Polysix, Prophet 600, and Pro One to nail the sound effortlessly
Old 29th September 2015
Gear Addict

Does anyone have a clue when it comes to composing 80's synth horror? Chords, keys and so on?
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Laborant View Post
Does anyone have a clue when it comes to composing 80's synth horror? Chords, keys and so on?
Dissonance is the key, don't be afraid to experiment. 1-2-4-5-6 chords, etc.

However, I'd be interesting in how to get this awesome, vintage sound. Not sound design - Diva alone can get very close, but that muffled, retro sound.

This is a brilliant example (insane movie as well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qyX...Ny3ZXj&index=3
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Addict

Thanks
I remember doing such things, like pressing randomly 6 keys once at a time but seems like I forgot

Now for the muffled thing I guess it's the record tape and reverbs of that time

As you already mentioned Diva you should get some good reverbs with ValhallaVintageVerb
Old 2nd October 2015
Lives for gear

An FM synth and a simple sequencer (or real-time recording) can do wonders. I've done a few songs and they sound great (or horrific).

Note: I'm using all hardware.
Old 8th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
Alan Howarth who did a lot of the music for Carpenter used a Prophet, and Arp synths as well as Oberheim stuff- he later got into the Synclavier- all of that was pretty much what the music guys were using, so it really isnt so much about the synth but the sorts of sounds and actual score that was written.

Alan Howarth - Producer, Composer, Sound Designer

Carpenter used a Prophet VS..! Great synth for that kind of work.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi View Post
Hi, Just wondering if anybody could recommend any synths that are geared towards 80s horror soundtracks. I'm looking for something with good presets as i'm not much of a tweaker so just wondering if there's a dedicated synth out there that people are using for this sound.
I'm currently using Analog Factory, FM8, NI Massive, Mo8 and trying out the minimonsta demo.

Cheers.
"horror synths" lol

TH
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Guru

You can't go wrong with a Prophet 5 for this kind of work.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Head

+1 the thing... dat bass heartbeat is yummy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGz4P5rGPo
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Piggybacking on this, does anyone have any recommendations for truly good preset banks for softsynths like Omnisphere (2), Bazille, Serum, Synthmaster etc that are designed for film, trailer etc scores? Of course there is always "genre overlap", and sounds can be used in many ways (and of course tweaked to your liking), but oftentimes when looking for a sound to start from, you have to wade through lots of patches clearly aimed at the "EDM" crowd, with hoovers and such. As I'm not really a synth wizard myself (though of course playing arond sometimes yields nice results), using/tweaking presets are such a huge help and time-saver if they're the right kind.

For reference, the kind of sounds that I'm looking for could be found in 80's horror/sci-fi films (dark basses, cool pluck and key type sounds) and more modern counterparts, such as the music in Mass Effect, also some 80'/90's industrial style stuff. I'm both interested in the vintage style sounds and more sleek modern sounds that still draw from the vintage style ones.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5000 View Post
Piggybacking on this, does anyone have any recommendations for truly good preset banks for softsynths like Omnisphere (2), Bazille, Serum, Synthmaster etc that are designed for film, trailer etc scores? Of course there is always "genre overlap", and sounds can be used in many ways (and of course tweaked to your liking), but oftentimes when looking for a sound to start from, you have to wade through lots of patches clearly aimed at the "EDM" crowd, with hoovers and such. As I'm not really a synth wizard myself (though of course playing arond sometimes yields nice results), using/tweaking presets are such a huge help and time-saver if they're the right kind.

For reference, the kind of sounds that I'm looking for could be found in 80's horror/sci-fi films (dark basses, cool pluck and key type sounds) and more modern counterparts, such as the music in Mass Effect, also some 80'/90's industrial style stuff. I'm both interested in the vintage style sounds and more sleek modern sounds that still draw from the vintage style ones.
The Unfinished | Bespoke & commercial synth sounds & sample libraries
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

A treasure trove, thanks!
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Addict

Did anyone watch 'It Follows'? That was pretty good in an 80s Horror synth kind of a way. Lots of arps..
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

here's what he's doing now (ish) the lost themes album was released earlier this year...
John Carpenter: Lost Themes | Album Reviews | Pitchfork
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

I demoed some Carpenter style tracks for a film a while ago and had a lot of luck with Logic's Tape Delay plugin. No delay, but using the distortion slider.

Most scores back then sounded a bit 'dusty'. Almost like they've been run through a cheap multi FX unit. Maybe even adding in some floor noise could help and then blend to taste.

I put this together in 20 mins experimenting with different layers.

Escape From Antonio Bay.mp3
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Probably it depends not on the synths at all, but in the faith you put in them... the wide panel of synths used shows you can write horror scores with any synth at hand and make it sound awesome. The most difficult part are not the patches, but that the music be fitting the images...
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Nut

Talking of 80's horror synths... I used to have a Gem SX1000.. now that was a horrible synth
Mine had a built in drum machine.. it wasn't advertised that way. It used to do an after click.. each time you let go of a key you got a kick drum sound.
Old 20th February 2018
I would highly recommend any Prophet 5 or if you can afford it or get your hands on a Prophet 6. You can't really go wrong with that in any incarnation.
Old 2nd March 2018
Here for the gear

I would second aTelecine-Lex. Lots of good info there and I remember using the Arturia stuff a few years ago and all their presets out of the box were pretty perfect for the stuff I believe you're talking about.

I did a couple 80's synth horror comps using that stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search