The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need 30 Sec Music Libraries
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Head

Cool Need 30 Sec Music Libraries

Whazzup Everyone,
I have about 60 tracks composed for 30 sec spots. I am looking for some production music libraries where I can license my music to. I don't care if they can provide some up front money or not. I just need to have my music used in radio and TV commercials as much as possible. I would prefer libraries that do no-exclusive contracts since I'm not asking for any front-end. Hopefully with the number of tracks that I have created, I could create a stream of income through royalty money instead of having my music sit indly on my hard drive.
Thanks

-David G
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

I think you'd be better off contacting music and audio houses directly. While I'm sure it's been done before, I can't say that I have ever worked on a spot where they used commercially available production music libraries. Most bits are composed specifically for the spot and a few have been pulled from the music house's collection of original music. If your stuff is good and they're interested, I can tell you now they they'd be looking for 10,15,20,30 and 60 sec cuts of your stuff ( some want 45 too). Many of them are non exclusive pay for play type deals. If you approached them and said you had 60 bits all with cut downs, I'm sure you'd at least get a call back.
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG79 View Post
Whazzup Everyone,
I have about 60 tracks composed for 30 sec spots. I am looking for some production music libraries where I can license my music to. I don't care if they can provide some up front money or not. I just need to have my music used in radio and TV commercials as much as possible. I would prefer libraries that do no-exclusive contracts since I'm not asking for any front-end. Hopefully with the number of tracks that I have created, I could create a stream of income through royalty money instead of having my music sit indly on my hard drive.
Thanks

-David G
Let me google that for you
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Head

I appreciate the feed, but I don't think you understand what I'm asking about. I'm not looking to used these tracks for custom projects. The tracks are pre-made. I hear tons of pre-made tracks playing on radio and TV commercials. Where do the producers license these tracks, and how can I get my music into these libraries? I would appreciate any info on this.
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Peterson View Post
I think you'd be better off contacting music and audio houses directly. While I'm sure it's been done before, I can't say that I have ever worked on a spot where they used commercially available production music libraries. Most bits are composed specifically for the spot and a few have been pulled from the music house's collection of original music. If your stuff is good and they're interested, I can tell you now they they'd be looking for 10,15,20,30 and 60 sec cuts of your stuff ( some want 45 too). Many of them are non exclusive pay for play type deals. If you approached them and said you had 60 bits all with cut downs, I'm sure you'd at least get a call back.
I would say the majority of ads on TV use library music. Think how many local and regional spots get produced every year. I even hear plenty of national ads for large companies use library tracks. Those types of ads can't afford custom music, or don't require it, so they turn to libraries. Also, I wouldn't contact a audio house directly, I get e-mails from time to time, and I usually just delete them. With companies like APM that offer hundreds of thousands of tracks, and great customer service, I wouldn't waste my time with someone that only has 60 and isn't as familiar with how to license them properly. I would contact one those larger companies and see if they were interested in buying them.
Old 29th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguydave View Post
I would say the majority of ads on TV use library music. Think how many local and regional spots get produced every year. I even hear plenty of national ads for large companies use library tracks. Those types of ads can't afford custom music, or don't require it, so they turn to libraries. Also, I wouldn't contact a audio house directly, I get e-mails from time to time, and I usually just delete them. With companies like APM that offer hundreds of thousands of tracks, and great customer service, I wouldn't waste my time with someone that only has 60 and isn't as familiar with how to license them properly. I would contact one those larger companies and see if they were interested in buying them.
Yup exactly!!! I know I hear our music on TV at least once every hour, usually at least once every commercial break.

To the original poster, a good starting place for you would be

Production Music Association

They have lists of different libraries, they offer seminars and "meet and greet" functions for composers, etc.

Also check out

The Society of Composers & Lyricists -

The tough thing is, with only 60 songs it is going to be a hard sell to place all of them with a company. 60 songs basically breaks down into 3 CDs worth of music. If stylistically the 60 songs can't be organized into 3 full CDs of music, then it will be very tough to get a library to pick ALL of them up. You might start getting "well I could use these 3 songs for a CD we are about to do"... and so on.

Plus, every library is different. A 30 second cue for Video Helper is DRASTICALLY different than a 30 second cue for Killer Tracks. So to blindly blast every company with your music isn't going to be very fruitful since most companies have certain "formats" and criteria the music has to adhere to based on their customers' needs.

What you'll probably start to find is, the 60 cues you have make a good foundation, but you'll have to add to, re-write and/or edit them based on the company you are trying to submit to. Very rarely does something specifically written to a commercal spot work as a library track in and of itself. I know that sounds weird because a lot of the library music is used in commercials, but as you start to look at different libraries you'll see what I mean.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Ive got 4 cds,working on a 5th cd,and i have deals for all the cds.
If i was you i would turn those 60 cuts into 2 to 3 minute pieces and let the companies cut your tracks up.Thats 6 cds of material,if its on the level you will find someone to work a deal!

Dan P

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search