The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"entrance of gladiators" circus theme song in public domain? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

"entrance of gladiators" circus theme song in public domain?

hi guys,

i did a search on the internet but i haven't managed to find a definitive answer... would anyone here know by any chance if the famous circus theme song "entrance of gladiators" (aka "thunder and blazes" i think) is in public domain and therefore royalty-free?

for example, if i play it by myself on a piano, could i safely include it in say radio or tv commercial?

thanks, mark
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Entrance of the Gladiators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's composed in 1897 by the Czech composer Julius Fučík, so it may belong to royalty free category - i believe there's some law about anything older then 50 years goes to public domain - see if you can find out anything about that - i'm really not sure about it
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Did you check with our friend Harry Fox?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm sorry... who is Harry Fox?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark007 View Post
I'm sorry... who is Harry Fox?
HFA Online

From their site:

HFA is the foremost mechanical licensing, collection, and distribution agency for music publishers in the U.S. Our processes, culture, and technology are client-driven and results-oriented. We continually strive to add value and strength to the music rights industry.

There is also a PD (public domain) site that can be looked at for known PD music. I do not recall that URL.
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

If you are in the US -

from http://www,pdinfo.com :

Works created after 1/1/1978 - life of the longest surviving author plus 70 years - earliest possible PD date is 1/1/2048
Works registered before 1/1/1978 - 95 years from the date copyright was secured.
Works registered before 1/1/1923 - Copyright protection for 75 years has expired and these works are in the public domain.

The Good News - works published in the United States in 1922 or earlier are in the public domain even if they are not yet 95 years old.
The Bad News - no new works will enter the public domain until January 1, 2019.

If you are somewhere else than the US, I am unfamiliar with the laws.

They list "Gladiator's Entry March" which I suppose is the piece you are wondering about. We do have "Entry of the Gladiator's" in our music library - so you should be safe to record it yourself.

Last edited by Stizz; 18th September 2007 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: add US reference
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search