The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice For a Returning Producer/Composer
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Advice For a Returning Producer/Composer

Hello all,

Thanks for running this forum, I've browsed and found it very informative.

About 12 years ago, I spent a year making music for libraries. I placed my music in about a dozen libraries, including PremiumBeat, BMI, Asche and Spencer, and others. For about 5-6 years I was making some good money in royalties and my share of the license sales, but due to life circumstances, I wasn't able to continue doing that work full-time.

Having been laid off due to Covid (I was working at a gym for years now), I decided to get back into the game. I made about 15 new tracks (various styles of hip-hop) during the first few months of the lockdown and pitched them to some pay upfront libraries (probably 6-7 in total), along with PremiumBeat, who made me the most money out of the libraries I worked with. Unfortunately, no one bit - my asking price was 5000$ for exclusive rights to the set. I realize that this might seem like a lot, but I figured with my catalog and previous experience, there was no point underselling.

So now Im sitting on 15 tracks of what I think is pretty quality stuff. I guess my general question is: what route would you take in my circumstance?
Would you try to contact Supervisors directly? Would you try to spread out the tracks in non-exclusives? Would you target specific exclusives? Any help would be appreciated, as I feel like the industry changed quite a bit in the last 10 years and I'm definitely way behind the times.

For what its worth, I haven't stopped making music, and had success just doing it for my own pleasure (got a few record deals with a couple of bands etc), so I feel like the quality of my work is higher than before. That's why I don't think it's a waste of time to try to do another go around.

Here are some instrumentals that are included in the set. They're watermarked mp3's, so take the sound fidelity with a grain of salt.

https://soundcloud.com/user-19989446.../s-ooUXzUADntp

Thanks in advance!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I think it's great that you've shown some of your tracks. Wish you the very best of luck with them.

If they were mine, I would probably try and place them with RF libraries and stay well clear of Exclusive libraries. Why? Listening through your tracks, the market is pretty much awash with this kind of material. The actual sound quality issue doesn't bother me at all because it can be improved, but the actual tunes/songs/instrumentals (whatever you want to call it); exclusive libraries probably wouldn't touch it. RF libraries as I understand it, have more of an issue with sound quality rather than the track itself, although there must be a cutoff point on that too.
Also, getting 5000$ for this collection could happen, but I very much doubt it in this day and age.

Hope it works out.
Old 2 weeks ago
You will need to find another day job to support you.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Cook View Post
I think it's great that you've shown some of your tracks. Wish you the very best of luck with them.

If they were mine, I would probably try and place them with RF libraries and stay well clear of Exclusive libraries. Why? Listening through your tracks, the market is pretty much awash with this kind of material. The actual sound quality issue doesn't bother me at all because it can be improved, but the actual tunes/songs/instrumentals (whatever you want to call it); exclusive libraries probably wouldn't touch it. RF libraries as I understand it, have more of an issue with sound quality rather than the track itself, although there must be a cutoff point on that too.
Also, getting 5000$ for this collection could happen, but I very much doubt it in this day and age.

Hope it works out.
^ Agreed.

The stuff you have sounds good, and is good, but there is nothing unique, and nothing that grabs you and makes you say, "wow - gotta have this!"

Are the cues marketable and useable? Absolutely. But as AC says, the lib field is inundated with these types of cues. making your path to victory clouded and difficult.

Completely agree here. 12 yrs ago, you might do better that 5k for the set. Nowadays, there is a slim to none chance of getting any upfront money.

Good luck!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess that is another issue/blind spot I now have - when I was submitting stuff back then, most exclusives wanted hip-hop. Maybe it was because the genre was on the come-up, so to speak. I wouldn't even say that it was my area of expertise or interest, but I figured it'd be the best bet for selling stuff. For certain libraries like Asche & Spencer, for example, I submitted mostly ambient or guitar-driven stuff.. What genre or style would you say to focus on these days if I was to submit to exclusives.

By the way, my earlier comment about sound quality was about the fact that I put lo-fi mp3 versions on Soundcloud by the way, not that its an issue in terms of submissions.

Desire Inspires - what was the point of that reply? Just to **** on a stranger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambonyboy View Post
Of course not.

If you need money to pay your bills, you need a regular source of income. Many people work other jobs in addition to creating music for music libraries. There is no shame in having a day job.

Library income is speculative and uncertain. The money flows in every few months while bills come every month. Please, get a regular job unless someone is financing your everyday expenses.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Oh, I misunderstood - I thought you're just rephrasing "Dont quit your day job, buddy" type of deal..

Yeah totally.
Im just looking for another stream of income - Im under no illusions here, this is strictly a plan for extra income down the line.

Thanks
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

What genre or style would you say to focus on these days if I was to submit to exclusives.

With exclusive libraries these days (sort of), there is more of a tendency of giving briefs. On top of that, they more and more want stems for every track. When you're like me that basically does this for fun, that can be a pain.

Jeff nailed it and that's exactly what many publishers will say.

The stuff you have sounds good, and is good, but there is nothing unique, and nothing that grabs you and makes you say, "wow - gotta have this!"

It's a bit like buying a stock. Why am I buying this stock? Done all the research but it's still not screaming BUY ME!

There's so much of the same out there that it's difficult to understand why so many sub publishers/distributors keep taking it. Just a few days ago, I listened to an album that was really imo, a direct rip of another album (that I didn't do btw) and you start to wonder why people would do that.

On the other hand, having been out of the game for a while, you would probably want to listen to a lot of library albums in different genres and then get comfortable with one or two to start from. Take it steady and it can be quite relaxing. It's a bit like doing Yoga. I find.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Desire likes to drop his "bitter old man wisdom one liners" around here, except it usually just has more bitter and less old wisdom than needed to make them of any use :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
Desire likes to drop his "bitter old man wisdom one liners" around here, except it usually just has more bitter and less old wisdom than needed to make them of any use :P
You are totally incorrect. There is only bitterness and no wisdom in my posts. Now go make some drone cues!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW; Before retiring from the ad and production business, I spent decades using library music for advertising production, as well as commissioning custom music from various producers from LA to Dallas for both original productions and licensed reproductions of iconic songs. 25 years ago, after using just about every library out there, many of which I've long forgotten about, I began using First Com Music and ever since I've not found a competitor that offers enough variance from what they offer to even think of making a change. And, in the past 15 years, First Com has bought up so many of the other libraries out there they now own just about everything that used to be an alternate option. And their libraries cover it all.

So, with that said, I've always found that any library, no matter which, generally has about 10-15% of it's overall offerings that applies to the advertising that I produced with 15% being a stand out library. And the rest of it is unusable for my needs. And this ratio applied to every library I subscribed to. I've never needed music from foreign countries or specialized, niche cuts. When it comes to ad production, it's going to be pretty straight forward music that either pushes the energy or lays it back, depending on the product and copy, with an occasional quirky track. So I've always cherry picked my libraries to insure as much of my purchase is actually usable.

My only advice would be that If you really want to compete in the industry I'd suggest you visit the First Com site and browse through the enormous offerings they have to get an idea of what's out there in 2020, how it's being produced, mixed, stemmed, etc., and get a deep knowledge of the competition so you'll have a better idea of how to get doors to open for you. You'll hear all the production styles and creativity of the current and deep rooted writers and producers and have a better understanding of how you might fill the void, if you can find one to fill.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck with it.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
You are totally incorrect. There is only bitterness and no wisdom in my posts. Now go make some drone cues!
it's only 100% generic "elevator rawk" over here... pfffft "drone cues"

Sorry Zambonyboy... my advice would be you'd probably have better luck finding a job driving an actual zamboni than making a ton of cash in this business these days, but i'm also not very good so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks a bunch for the informative reply - will check it out! Cheers
๐Ÿ“ Reply