The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Very strange requirements. I need your opinion guys.
Old 4 weeks ago
Very strange requirements. I need your opinion guys.

Hi everybody,

I need your opinion 'cause the situation seems very strange to me.
One production music library (I don't wanna name it) wants my album (12 tracks) on an exclusive basis and they gave me some instructions.

1. They want me to change my name, the artist's name, because I'm selling through other websites, so I could not appear in client's searches, even if we run exclusive with these 12 tracks. They say that's because some other websites lowers the prices, so they need it for keeping their prices as high as possible. But I still do NOT understand, 'cause they want all tracks exclusively.

2. I'm a BMI USA member and I register every single track. This library wants me to revoke the registration 'cause (as they explain) their clients want songs which are free of PROs.

Well, I don't know what to think.
Maybe it's a common practice nowadays?
I need your advice guys, please.

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
I would avoid any deal where someone is trying to have you remove song registration as this sounds like they will register and you have no control over it and will be taking their word for sales/use. Also, changing the artists name? Sounds like they want to remove any link to you from the project for some reason. Play hardball and say no to all of those demands. If the music is good enough for someone to ask that of you then it will do well elsewhere without you being ripped off.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantastic View Post
I would avoid any deal where someone is trying to have you remove song registration as this sounds like they will register and you have no control over it and will be taking their word for sales/use. Also, changing the artists name? Sounds like they want to remove any link to you from the project for some reason. Play hardball and say no to all of those demands. If the music is good enough for someone to ask that of you then it will do well elsewhere without you being ripped off.
If it walks like a Duck......Well.
You ever hear the song "Achy Breaky Heart" The Cat's that wrote,recorded it, hermetically sealed, post dated and sent it back to them selves, never opened it...., they were screwing around with B,R,C one night and just played it live at their home....., and you can probably guess the rest. I believe billy changed one word and got away with it. It went to court and the Dudes got F-ed over. I still remember the interview on TV with these guys and they were legit. Billy must of had some connections in congress.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

#1 sounds weird, but that alone shouldn't be cause for alarm.

HOWEVER, when coupled with #2 , this raises a huge red flag for me. I would ask them this:

If your clients want songs which are free of PROs, then how do I get paid?

I am curious as to how they answer.

Cheers.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
It went to court and the Dudes got F-ed over

Billy must of had some connections in congress.

You are talking about two separate branches of govt. Connections in govt have nothing to do with outcomes in courts.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
It went to court and the Dudes got F-ed over. I still remember the interview on TV with these guys and they were legit. Billy must of had some connections in congress.
Copyright infringement is very hard to prove...fairly low bar is set for "originality"...you can find pieces of Bach in Beatles songs and Beatles tunes in modern church hymnals...hell the Wesley brothers literally ripped off bar tunes for most of their hymns..."Hark the herald Angels sing" was probably originally about some bar maid or a jilted lover...my point being that originality is almost always borrowed from somewhere else and copyright laws are well aware of this...of course changing one word in a song and going to court is a dick move but we kinda expect that from Mileys dad now don't we?
Old 4 weeks ago
Thank you guys for your inputs. Really appreciate!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear