The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Additional usage rights - advice
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Additional usage rights - advice

Hi everyone!

I have recently written music for a TV commercial, and I just got contacted by the ad agency that their client asked about the rights for potential usage of the same music in other future projects.
How would you go about this? Would you charge extra per new project? Would you charge a one off sum for them to get usage rights for all future projects? Would you give them the rights without charge?
Or is a deal like: Full rights for internal usage, but a fee for future commercial projects good? What is reasonable?

I am not sure what is common practice here since I am quite new to this.

Thank you very much for your help!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Are the future projects different commercials and/or different territories?

I had something similar where I scored a cinema ad that was then shown abroad but I stipulated in the contract that they would have to “re-license” it from me in those instances.

I’m not 100% sure if there’s a common practice but I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a flat fee if they’re going to use it over and over again for varying projects of size/territory.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4 View Post

I had something similar where I scored a cinema ad that was then shown abroad but I stipulated in the contract that they would have to “re-license” it from me in those instances.

I’m not 100% sure if there’s a common practice but I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a flat fee if they’re going to use it over and over again for varying projects of size/territory.
Thank you! They haven't specified anything, just shown interest. But I am guessing reusing the music for social media related stuff, maybe another TV ad later on.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would ask the same.

Quote:
...I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a flat fee if they’re going to use it over and over again for varying projects of size/territory.
I agree. There should be a per project fee.

their client asked about the rights for potential usage of the same music in other future projects.

New/diff project = another sync fee. If the media, territory and duration are the same as the initial project, the sync fee should be the same. If they ask for a break, consider giving it to them, as long as a) it's no too much, and b) they know you are giving them a break b/c you have done business together before. This is key; it makes no sense to give someone a lower rate, if they can't appreciate why the rate is lower. Oh, and don't offer a break; let them ask for one.

If the media, territory and duration are not the same as the initial project, then work your way down from there - but def command a per project fee.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
I would ask the same.

I agree. There should be a per project fee.

their client asked about the rights for potential usage of the same music in other future projects.

New/diff project = another sync fee. If the media, territory and duration are the same as the initial project, the sync fee should be the same. If they ask for a break, consider giving it to them, as long as a) it's no too much, and b) they know you are giving them a break b/c you have done business together before. This is key; it makes no sense to give someone a lower rate, if they can't appreciate why the rate is lower. Oh, and don't offer a break; let them ask for one.

If the media, territory and duration are not the same as the initial project, then work your way down from there - but def command a per project fee.

Cheers.
Thank you Jeff! That sounds great! Now I can get back to them with some confidence

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search