The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advices for new composer/producer
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Advices for new composer/producer

Hi everyone,

my name is Ed, thanks in advance to those who will have few minutes to read my thread:

briefly, I am a professional musician (live performer, bass guitar/double bass main instruments, I play a bit of piano, guitar, drums too) living in London.

I have been studying by myself for several months a lot of useful material to become a producer/composer working for the 'music for picture' industry.

I have bought and read books like 'On the Track', 'Adler' orchestration, books and courses on mixing and mastering, watched thousands of videos on YT (Manchester Music, Daniel James, Christian Henson, etc.), I have got a really good knowledge of music (I read well and have always played and listened to anything) and Logic Pro X (it's the only DAW that I am currently using, I have got few libraries too) and of course I have a home studio.

My idea was to invest in some courses either by Berklee online or Thinkspace Education to fill my gaps and prepare myself to start working initially in the library music and music for advertisements world.

A producer friend of mine 2 months ago asked me to compose a 30sec Ad music for a contest and my 2 tracks were selected within the first 5 out of 68.

I noticed that with a goal and under pressure I was super productive and I started to put in practice everything I have learnt so far and, most importantly, I really enjoyed that, but now I don't have incentives and feel insicure on which next steps to take to enter this music production world.

I am carrying on the study of everything related to this world that I find online, for example I found this forum mentioned in the library music articles on Sound on Sound.

I am currently unemployed (given the fact that all the live gigs are cancelled) and would like to use this time to be productive as much as I can.

Which advices would you give me given my circumstances?

Many thanks in advance to everyone who will reply
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Which advice would you give me given my circumstances?
Hey Bass Cat

That's great how the contest stirred your creative and competitive juices and how that led to you creating something that landed in the top 5.

One thing you can do right now, while continuing your learning path, is to keep writing music. What worked for me when I transitioned from gigging/session playing to writing for music libraries, was to plot on a calendar a music production schedule for X number of weeks. So you would select genre(s) to write in and the number of cues for each genre. Then give yourself a deadline for the completion of each cue - whatever you think is realistic given what you currently know. But definitely give yourself a deadline - design your own contest.

By continually writing with deadlines, you'll be improving your writing chops and before you know it you'll have a stock pile music that you can then place and start making money with.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Cat View Post
A producer friend of mine 2 months ago asked me to compose a 30sec Ad music for a contest and my 2 tracks were selected within the first 5 out of 68.

Well that's a good start.

Put some tracks up and let's hear them. You can study and read all you like, but in the end the best way forward is to write some tracks in the style you're comfortable with and put them out there otherwise all you'll be doing is getting more advice that you can read about.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Welcome back. Hope you're feeling better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search