The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Client requesting price quote for commercial use of one of my tracks
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Client requesting price quote for commercial use of one of my tracks

Sorry for the long post..I received this e-mail and i would like to ask for some help about how we deal with this?

Greetings!
I’m an indie game developer and am in the process of creating my first game. I’m very far into the project and am in need of a song to use for my game’s menu screen.
I was on P5 and found this particular song that you had created:
“LINK”
It’s a beautiful song. Very nice work.
I’m not an attorney, so I’m having a hard time understanding Pong5’s commercial policy. Since you’re the owner of this song, what would you charge to give me rights to use this song in a game that I’m making? When this game is completed, I will be selling the game via digital download at Steam.com. Your song would be the game’s menu theme.
Thank you! I’m really looking forward to your response!

Some information that might help:
1. This is a well produced world/ethnic track produced in a top notch studio. (only real instruments)
2. The price in P5 is 69$ and sells relatively well
3. Googling client’s name found only 284 results

I have received similar email again, so I always wondered: Provided we agree on the price what should i send to client, certifying that he legally purchased the track from me? Are there any templates of something like “Proof of Purchase”?

Thank you for your time!
Old 2 weeks ago

Re-title the track for their project. Tell them its a one time license for X years (or lifetime whichever).

There is no PRO in games. Negotiate fee. Big game (AAA) will pay anything for £2500 to £20k for a license..... very occasionally more for something special... but I've licensed out major catalogue for £1500 for one well known game.

An indie game with your music - well the fee is some combo of what they can afford and what you fell you're worth. I've always felt its hard to justify anything below £500 but there are plenty that don't have that.

If they don't have proper budget to pay you then think about a % of revenue (NOT profit - never do anything for profit)
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you narcoman for the informative answer!
I'm a newbie so very likely my question is naive. Wouldn't be enough the Standard License of P5 for this usage? Why should the client have to pay much more money when he could pay 69$ which is my price for the Standard License in P5?

I thought that these 3-4digit money you mentioned, apply when you compose new music for a specific video game, but when a developer use an existing track from a library the money are 2-digit and sometimes even the Standard License is enough. I'm a little bit confused
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtuser View Post
Wouldn't be enough the Standard License of P5 for this usage? Why should the client have to pay much more money when he could pay 69$ which is my price for the Standard License in P5?
Yes, charge $69 for perpetual use of the track. You do not want to make life more difficult for the client!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Yes, charge $69 for perpetual use of the track. You do not want to make life more difficult for the client!
I didn't say "i want" him to pay only 69$ neither that i prefer him to pay me less.
I just don't know why he can't use the Standard License. I have read the P5's License agreement and i can't understand what prevent him from using just the Standard License.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I didn't say "i want" him to pay only 69$ neither that i prefer him to pay me less.
I just don't know why he can't use the Standard License. I have read the P5's License agreement and i can't understand what prevent him from using just the Standard License.
Did you contact Pond5 and ask them what to do?

If the song is on Pond5, they should set the terms for the sale of the song. Remember, you get 35% of the $69. So once the guy buys the song, you get $24.15. Good job!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Did you contact Pond5 and ask them what to do?
Thanx for your answer..
I didn't contact yet. Before I do that, I thought to have a first view of some more experienced composers than me.
Old 2 weeks ago

Quote:
Thank you narcoman for the informative answer!
I'm a newbie so very likely my question is naive. Wouldn't be enough the Standard License of P5 for this usage? Why should the client have to pay much more money when he could pay 69$ which is my price for the Standard License in P5?

I thought that these 3-4digit money you mentioned, apply when you compose new music for a specific video game, but when a developer use an existing track from a library the money are 2-digit and sometimes even the Standard License is enough. I'm a little bit confused
Goodness no. Its Pond5 and the other bulk licensing options that are different to the "industry". Libraries license music to games under the MCPS cards - and that's at the £700 per minute rate. Now you can make your own decision on what you consider fair, but I wouldn't hold up Pond5 as an example of how everyone else works.

Offer him a license exclusive, take it down form Pond5 and you'll be in much better shape.

Is this game maker a hobbyist? on his/her own?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Offer him a license exclusive, take it down form Pond5 and you'll be in much better shape.
Can you do that if it's already been available on Pond5? Especially if he's already sold a license? I guess you could do a conditional exclusive license disclosing that information.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMusic View Post
Can you do that if it's already been available on Pond5? Especially if he's already sold a license? I guess you could do a conditional exclusive license disclosing that information.
I wouldn’t risk it. I say keep the track on Pond5 and let the client license it from them. The OP can still make money from the track. Everybody wins in that situation.

Do not make any hasty changes. People have a tendency to panic about these things and dream up a million different scenarios that never play out. The track is already on Pond5 waiting to be licensed. Let it sell and sell and sell and sell.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Let it sell and sell and sell and sell.
yeah!!! if it sells that much, you might even be able to go out to dinner!!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
yeah!!! if it sells that much, you might even be able to go out to dinner!!!!
Yes. Some tracks take off and have a life of their own. Never underestimate a good song.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post

Is this game maker a hobbyist? on his/her own?
He is on his own...not hobbyist but it seems to me relatively new at business.

Thanx all of you guys.
You gave me very useful information, valuable to me, to begin searching and learning. I have a lot of work ahead of me

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search