The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
orchestral libraries with portamento (speed adjustable)
Old 28th February 2020
Gear Addict

orchestral libraries with portamento (speed adjustable)

Hi all.

I make music for commercials and tv and am constantly needing to be able to glide between notes using portamento.

Although some libraries I have do have portamento patches only one allows you to change the speed.
The ember tone blakus violin cello have a speed control which actually works.
Spitfire also have a portamento speed control but you cannot hear any difference.
Im talking about a real noticeable slow glide from one note to another.

But im looking for a virtual library that does this with an entire orchestra of strings/brass/woods, rather than just a solo violin or cello.
Does anyone know of one?

Ive attached an audio example and screenshot of the patch I used to create the sound so you can hear what I'm after.

If anyone has some ideas it would be great to share.
Attached Thumbnails
orchestral libraries with portamento (speed adjustable)-blakus-portamento-speed.jpg   orchestral libraries with portamento (speed adjustable)-blakus-main.jpg  
Attached Files

strings glide.wav (3.47 MB, 467 views)

Old 4th March 2020
Here for the gear

Samplemodeling Strings can do that. There's a dedicated controller for portamento time.

https://samplemodeling.com/en/products_strings.php

LASS has two portamento speeds.
Old 5th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxer View Post
Samplemodeling Strings can do that. There's a dedicated controller for portamento time.

https://samplemodeling.com/en/products_strings.php

LASS has two portamento speeds.
Since you had the answer here, could I ask, do you know which/any libraries that are best for portamentos/bends, period? I don't need adjustable speed, but I'd love some good exaggerated/emphasized bends, either with full orch or a string section. With specific intervals from note to note -- for instance, from an Eb down to a C -- where I'd have control over the starting note and end note.

Thanks
Old 5th March 2020
Here for the gear

A lot of string libraries have an option for fixed length portamento. I don't think I know all of them. But I know it from Spitfire Chamber Strings, Spitfire Symphonic Strings, Spitfire BBC Orchestra, Berlin Strings, VSL Orchestral Strings, VSL Dimension Strings, LA Scoring Strings. They all work well. Using portamentos too often (more than once or twice in a song) sounds mostly embarrassing. I always have to think about cats meowing.

String Libraries without portamento: Cinematic Strings2, Cinematic Studio Strings, Afflatus Strings, Light & Sound Chamber Strings, Musicalsampling, Performance Samples.

But there are many more...
Old 5th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxer View Post
A lot of string libraries have an option for fixed length portamento. I don't think I know all of them. But I know it from Spitfire Chamber Strings, Spitfire Symphonic Strings, Spitfire BBC Orchestra, Berlin Strings, VSL Orchestral Strings, VSL Dimension Strings, LA Scoring Strings. They all work well. Using portamentos too often (more than once or twice in a song) sounds mostly embarrassing. I always have to think about cats meowing.

String Libraries without portamento: Cinematic Strings2, Cinematic Studio Strings, Afflatus Strings, Light & Sound Chamber Strings, Musicalsampling, Performance Samples.

But there are many more...
When I said exaggerated bends, I actually didn't mean portamento within the context of a legato phrase. In that context I agree, too often and it sounds, maybe, annoying?

What I meant was more in line with effects. The effect of a string section slowly bending down from one note to another. Not like 5-10 seconds slow, but a couple seconds. Know of anything? I have several of the spitfire libraries you mentioned, as well as berlin strings, and I haven't found a *controllable* effect like that in the sense that you can chose the start and end note.
Old 5th March 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
What I meant was more in line with effects. The effect of a string section slowly bending down from one note to another.
Oh, I see. I don't know a library that has those effects as playable patches. There are some glissandi sampled as FX in Spitfire libraries but that's more atonal.
I made some of those bending effects for a movie using pitch bend. Sounds cheap whith a single string sample but stacked with three to five string libraries it worked out rather good. It's important that the stacks have different speeds so there happens a different detuning for all layers.
LASS has aleatoric patches which are made the same way: three layers detuned independently.
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Head

my late thoughts and cents to this topic:

- when browsing through your libraries ... you should def be looking for controlable glissando samples. Even 1s is pretty long in music and I wouldn‘t call this portamento playing.

- if there aren‘t any (with the amount of control you‘re looking for) I‘d rather work with vari audio in the daw (vari speed in this case) instead of using several layers of pitch bends.
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear

Lass strings... For me they still have the most natural portamento... Not sure the portamento time can be modified but I have never found myself wanting to do that.
I love using it to get that "Indian orchestra" thing going on sometimes...
Other great sounding, super natural portamento, happen in the excellent Tina Guo Cello and Embertone Bell violin.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

We need this badly

Glad to find this topic, although I wish there was a better solution out there. It's so strange that such a large part of string arrangement is just totally omitted from people writing/demoing using samples.

It's obviously extremely challenging and there's a reason it hasn't existed, but for me, it's the obvious "next step" for developers.
📝 Reply