The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Taxi.com...any success stories here
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Taxi.com...any success stories here

Been considering signing up to Taxi.com but have read so many mixed reviews...wondering if anybody here has had any success with them? Keen to hear your stories!
Old 1 week ago
How do you measure success?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
How do you measure success?
I think ROI is one valid way.

But I do know other people who are in it strictly for the feedback.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I think ROI is one valid way.

But I do know other people who are in it strictly for the feedback.
ROI? There isn’t a return on investment with most things in life.

From a strict financial standpoint, do not join. But if feedback, collaboration, information, and engagement are reasonable goals, then join. The best part of Taxi would be going to the annual Road Rally.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

There about the same 5 people who have great Taxi stories. I challenge you to search this forum and find more than 5 positive experiences.

There is no reason for Taxi to exist other than to make money from punters who think they are getting some magical key to the music biz.

It is BS.

IMO.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I’ve been a TAXI member since 2012, I think. I have found it to be easily worth the $200 a year (when you pay 2 years at a time). The annual convention alone is worth it to me, being able to meet collaborators, and library owners face-to-face. I don’t submit to listings super often these days, but at least half of the libraries I work with were through connections made via TAXI listings. I’ve gone from zero works and placements in 2012, to 833 works, and 434 placements as of early 2020. I had a slow, fractured start too. In the beginning, I wanted to be an artist, and a songwriter, and do production music. Spread too thin.

I have learned a lot about the music sync business, and creating production music. I’ve met a ton of awesome people directly through TAXI, including a half dozen or so collaborators.

I think TAXI is a really great way to learn a lot about this industry and make connections. It’s been working for me. I don’t think it’s the only way, or even necessarily the best way for everyone. Anyone, with enough time, patience, and effort can make connections with libraries, collaborators, and learn music production without TAXI. But for lots of people, TAXI is an easier, faster, more enjoyable way to do those things.

If you’re on the fence, I encourage you to browse through the TAXI message boards, and watch episodes of TAXI TV on YouTube. Both of those resources are free and have a ton of useful information, and a lot of really great people who are generous with their time, knowledge, and support. If you spend some time checking those out, I think you’ll come to your own conclusion whether TAXI is right for you or not.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMusic View Post
$200 a year
YIKES!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
YIKES!
If you were an acting or VO wannabe you'd easily be spending that per month on classes. Or even per week. And the main thing a lot of those folks get out of it is a bunch of people to go out and drink with after class.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
434 placements as of early 2020.
What does that mean exactly?

434 placements where? On TV? Films? Or does it mean 434 of your tracks were placed many times over?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
YIKES!
PMC $319 (member price)
ASCAP Experience $349
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you were an acting or VO wannabe you'd easily be spending that per month on classes. Or even per week.
Yeah, but I am not an acting or VO wannabe.

Besides, these people spend that money for life, or only for a time period?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
PMC $319 (member price)
And what does that get you?

Quote:
ASCAP Experience $349
I see where you are going there, but it's not the same.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Joined 2016-2018

Personally I found it helpful, it's definitely not a scam but at the same time I don't think it's for everyone.

I had no clue about music licensing in the beginning so it really helped me focus with the briefs and deadlines, kinda like training wheels as I think I would have been a bit lost /out of my depth initially even if a Library did want my music.

So I learned a lot in those first couple of years, eventually upped my writing and production enough to get some tracks signed into Libraries that I still supply music to now and have gotten me some placements.

I was never able to attend the Road Rally as it's too far and I couldn't justify the expensive trip to my wife but everyone raves about it who can go. It's not necessary though if you are in my situation.

So I feel it worked for me, I've earned back the 2yrs money spent although I haven't made that much it's been super cool to get some royalties and hear my stuff on TV, I'm not the greatest musician by any means but I stuck at it and got better and also made a couple of good friends from it who I work with now on collabs.

I've had 30 placements now, most of the TV ones have come from Taxi connected Libraries - They are here if you want to hear or see what shows they are: https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330...as-heard-on-tv

A reasonable passive income is still a long way off for me but I'm in it for the long haul. I can make a cue or two per week and prety much everything I make now ends up a Library but it's a numbers game and a slow one at that so I wouldn't go into it expecting a goldmine.

Having said all that I do feel Taxi is not a good fit for some people. I hear a lot of music ( mostly via the forums ) that is poor to godawful. Some of these people have been paying members for years and years , I'm not sure how they will ever get any any of their music licensed or what their goals are.

I'm guessing there is a large chunk of membership that are like this if the forums are anything to go by and Taxi wouldn't be as succesful without them, the model demands that hordes of no hopers trying their luck as ML sells the dream of quitting the day job. Some folks just can't hear it ( i.e. what it takes to make a licensable track ) or if they can hear it they lack the skills to replicate it. I kinda feel sorry for folks like that but the only barrier to entry is the membership fee and the $5 submission cost.

What Taxi don't really do is teach you how to get better. Sure they will give a bit of feedback but some people really need to go to music school and realise it's not 1989 anymore.

In summary then, it can be good...if you are a good fit...also it can be a complete waste of money if you are terrible and can't improve. Like all things you get out what you put in , there's no magic key.

With hindsight you could just learn everything you need to know to make production music from Youtube or places like Gearslutz , apply to Libraries yourself and get music signed/placed if it's good enough.

But I think it's the briefs and deadlines that help the most , and knowing when your track is over the bar or not can be a big help rather than throwing random tracks out to Libraries yourself. Personally I think going through that learning curve helped me as there were too many unknown unknowns when I got started.

Hope that helps somewhat
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
... these people spend that money for life, or only for a time period?
Well... it certainly seems to be habit-forming for some people. As do open mics and songwriters' workshops.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Cook View Post
What does that mean exactly?

434 placements where? On TV? Films? Or does it mean 434 of your tracks were placed many times over?
It means 434 TV show episodes have my tracks used. Some of those shows use more than one cue. Capturing that data is more cumbersome, so I stick with Episodes according to ASCAP.

I don't know the specific number of my works that have been used vs not used.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
And what does that get you?

I see where you are going there, but it's not the same.

Cheers.
I've not been to the PMC or the ASCAP Expo/Experience, but from what I've seen anecdotally online, they seem to be comparable conferences to TAXI's. I posted pricing as a comparison. I'm not saying any conference is necessary. My experience is that TAXI's has been very valuable to me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicdolphin View Post
Joined 2016-2018
What Taxi don't really do is teach you how to get better. Sure they will give a bit of feedback but some people really need to go to music school and realise it's not 1989 anymore.

With hindsight you could just learn everything you need to know to make production music from Youtube or places like Gearslutz , apply to Libraries yourself and get music signed/placed if it's good enough.
You can't teach people that don't want to learn. TAXI offers music business and music production education through their YouTube channel and the conference. Lots of people don't want that. Or they don't want to do the work. I don't know. Anyway, their YouTube channel is free and I've definitely gained a better understanding of the business, and music production from watching. I have also learned from other YouTube channels, books, magazines, by working with others, and listening to what music libraries say and ask for.

I agree with your second point above. You absolutely can do those things without TAXI. In my experience, I believe I learned more faster, and connected with like-minded people by being a member. For me, that is more than worth the cost.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've not been to the PMC or the ASCAP Expo/Experience, but from what I've seen anecdotally online, they seem to be comparable conferences to TAXI's. I posted pricing as a comparison.
Wait - are we comparing the PMC or ASCAP conference to the TAXI conference? O the PMC or ASCAP conference to the TAXI yearly fee for being a member and submitting music?

B/c my 'yikes' was to the yearly fee - then the PMC and ASCAP conferences were introduced.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wait - are we comparing the PMC or ASCAP conference to the TAXI conference? O the PMC or ASCAP conference to the TAXI yearly fee for being a member and submitting music?

B/c my 'yikes' was to the yearly fee - then the PMC and ASCAP conferences were introduced.
My apologies... I can see how my answer confused matters. TAXI's business model is pay an annual membership fee for the opportunity to pitch listings at $5 each. The listing is typically from a library looking for something specific. You submit, usually get brief feedback, and your track is either forwarded, or rejected. A forward is no guarantee that you'll hear back, or get the track signed. Also included with your membership is you and a guest attending their annual conference at no additional fee. My first few years, I focused on pitching opportunities. Then a few years in, I decided to attend a conference, where I learned a lot, and connected with some awesome people.

After attending several conferences, my perspective shifted toward the conference being more valuable than pitching opportunities. That's how I have approached the last few years, so in my mind making a comparison between the conferences and their pricing made sense.

I don't submit to listings very much these days, but a recent one lead to a track getting signed to a library, and getting placed on So You Think You Can Dance.
Most of my forwards didn't result in a track getting signed, but most of my successful tracks are with libraries I connected with directly from a TAXI forward.

So, is TAXI worth it just to submit to listings and disregard the conference? I can't say for sure. If TAXI said they were canceling the conference and only doing listings for the same price, I can't say I'd continue. Especially with what I've learned over the years, and where I'm at now. If they said they were eliminating listings, and concentrating on only doing the conference, I'd almost certainly be in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
TAXI's business model is pay an annual membership fee for the opportunity to pitch listings at $5 each.
Well, double yikes!

Basic pay to play is bad enough; now you have to pay for the right to pay again? What is this world coming to that people fall for this crap...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah, but I am not an acting or VO wannabe.
Sure, but all of these things are a Drug of Choice for certain people. Either the doing of the thing itself, or being told you're getting better at it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, double yikes!

Basic pay to play is bad enough; now you have to pay for the right to pay again? What is this world coming to that people fall for this crap...
I'm glad I could clarify. Despite being gullible enough to fall for this crap.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, but all of these things are a Drug of Choice for certain people. Either the doing of the thing itself, or being told you're getting better at it.
I guess it's a confidence thing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm glad I could clarify. Despite being gullible enough to fall for this crap.
So, I guess I kinda-sorta hurled an insult at you, for which I apologize. That was not really my intention, and don't take it personally. Furthermore, I could have worded that better; it was really frustration talking.

I just find hard to believe that with all of the opportunities out there, that people want to pay to have the "right" to pay to have someone listen to their music, with the hopes that it will get licensed.

And the frustration stems from the fact that there are some people who take advantage of the reality that there will always be others who just don't see that you can "make it" without having to pay someone.

I dunno.... I am a be kind to your fellow human being type of human being, and it pains me to see some of the BS that goes on in this world - all to make a buck.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I guess it's a confidence thing.
Right. But to make a business out of it, you have to prolong the process. The first thing every psychotherapist learns is to never cure anyone.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So, I guess I kinda-sorta hurled an insult at you, for which I apologize. That was not really my intention, and don't take it personally. Furthermore, I could have worded that better; it was really frustration talking.

I just find hard to believe that with all of the opportunities out there, that people want to pay to have the "right" to pay to have someone listen to their music, with the hopes that it will get licensed.

And the frustration stems from the fact that there are some people who take advantage of the reality that there will always be others who just don't see that you can "make it" without having to pay someone.

I dunno.... I am a be kind to your fellow human being type of human being, and it pains me to see some of the BS that goes on in this world - all to make a buck.

Cheers.
Apology accepted, and appreciated, Jeff.

I think it's good to also consider when TAXI started a few decades ago, listings were more about connecting artists with A&R, and songwriters with artists and producers. Which at the time, it was very difficult for an independent artist or songwriter to connect with a publisher or label. Especially if you didn't live in LA, Nashville, or NYC. I think TAXI gradually changed, especially the last decade, to cater to sync, and production music.

I think I understand your frustration. I've seen plenty of sketchy companies with similar business models, and to be honest, I didn't join TAXI for a long time because I was skeptical. Thankfully, my experience has been valuable.

I also admit I've seen a good percentage of members who are so far off the mark I truly believe they are wasting their time. They want the world to fit into what they do, or they lack self awareness of their abilities. I can see how it would appear a company is taking advantage of those people. No one is holding a gun to their head though. And honestly, some of those people may eventually change their approach, so if they want to participate, that's their choice.

Again, I absolutely believe people don't have to pay TAXI or anyone else to learn how to be successful in this business. For me, I have found TAXI to be a valuable resource, especially the conference, that makes it well worth paying the price of admission. I'm not advocating the OP or anyone join. I'm sharing my experience so they can use that information in making their own decision.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I also admit I've seen a good percentage of members who are so far off the mark I truly believe they are wasting their time. They want the world to fit into what they do, or they lack self awareness of their abilities. I can see how it would appear a company is taking advantage of those people.
Yeah I agree about the no-hopers , feeding the $5 fees into a black hole when in truth they willl never ever produce anything a Library could place. ( i.e check out this member https://bit.ly/38A9YAf )

But we could say the same about many things. People spend big money on lots of stuff they are never going to be any good at..check out the used Golf Clubs on Ebay ! Or the money I've 'invested' in several years of singing lessons before finally admitting I'll never be good enough to sing on a song for licensing.

Are those people taking advantage or just providing a service ? Is it my singing teacher(s) fault(s) that I'm still not up to the required standard ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicdolphin View Post
they willl never ever produce anything a Library could place. ( i.e check out this member https://bit.ly/38A9YAf )

He has 133 Followers.

That's Awesome!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
He has 133 Followers.

That's Awesome!
Damn, that’s more than me! I gotta step my game up.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
He has 133 Followers.

That's Awesome!
You should check out his YT channel

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search