The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Taxi.com...any success stories here
Old 16th February 2020
  #31
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Damn, that’s more than me! I gotta step my game up.
Bah..I haven't even got 50
Old 17th February 2020
  #32
Here for the gear
 
StevenMcDonald's Avatar
 

I can understand why some people would want to use something like Taxi... it can be really hard to get any contacts in the industry, and it's good to have someone critiquing your work so you can be nudged in the right direction.

But what seems totally backwards to me is the fact that they are charging the poor composers who are desperate for an opportunity. I read a post from a library owner once before who said Taxi's service is totally free for the libraries. I can't confirm if that's true, but if it is, I find that very unethical. The libraries should be the ones paying to have a curated list of tracks sent to them to fill their needs, rather than desperate composers being the ones paying.

What makes it worse is that paying to submit doesn't guarantee at all that your track will be heard by someone who matters. A screener's personal opinion could be the thing that keeps your music from being listened to.

Maybe if they charged the libraries instead of composers, and instead only charged composers if they wanted a critique/feedback it would seem less predatory? Just my view of it.
Old 17th February 2020
  #33
Gear Maniac
 

So another Taxi thread and 2 Taxi fans so far.

You'd think there'd be hundreds given those 37 pages of success stories on their website.

Btw...

"We just heard from TAXI Member **** **** who let us know that he signed a deal with a top-tier International Music Library that he met through a TAXI Forward!"


So who's the top-tier international library then? Be fascinated to know. Probably Universal or Extreme at a guess.
Old 17th February 2020
  #34
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_Audio View Post
Been considering signing up to Taxi.com but have read so many mixed reviews...wondering if anybody here has had any success with them? Keen to hear your stories!
I literally haven’t thought about Taxi since the last time I sat in at the Kibitz Room at Canter's on Fairfax... and I’m pretty sure that was 1990.

Do people really still spend $$ on it?
Old 17th February 2020
  #35
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I literally haven’t thought about Taxi since the last time I sat in at the Kibitz Room at Canter's on Fairfax... and I’m pretty sure that was 1990.

Do people really still spend $$ on it?
Yeah! It's amazing iniit? Not cheap either. But then you do get alot, apparently.

From the wesbite...

"How much does TAXI cost?


A Full One-Year membership is just $299.95.

Just to give you a little perspective, a top music attorney will cost you more than $300 for just one hour! A single plane flight to L.A., N.Y., or Nashville can cost you more than TAXI's entire subscription fee.

When you add up the expense of hotel rooms, rental cars, and meals, TAXI pays for itself many times over. Compared to what you've spent to make your music, TAXI is surprisingly affordable."


This dude raises some interesting points in his comment here (replying to ML defending his own company):

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/01/21/70725/

"Michael you own the company TAXI. You are everywhere defending your own scam. You charge people a membership fee then you charge people to submit songs that are supposedly forwarded to decision makers. When songwriters pay all that money and find out that a lot of the listings are bogus they will realize they are wasting their money. You are busy getting rich while starving artists suffer. No one even knows who your A&R people are that review the material for $5 each song. You publish a list of people that may or may not even work there. There is no proof. If the music gets selected where does it go? To WHO? You never say what companies you are working with at all. Why all the secrecy? Why charge a membership fee? Why not just charge $5 per submission? If you are that worried about people submitting too many songs that your crappy A&R people can’t handle the incoming amount. You may show some successes for the real listings you do provide. But so many of the listings are copied and pasted over and over again from month to month, its pretty obvious to see that they are fake."


Have a look at the success stories folks.

Oooh look, there's Susan Hillman on page 2. Oooooh look, there's Susan Hilman on page 3! Oooh look there's Dick Flood on page 2...and page 4...and page 6...and page 7...and page 12 (Richard Flood)...and page 13...
Old 17th February 2020
  #36
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
Yeah! It's amazing iniit? Not cheap either. But then you do get alot, apparently.

From the wesbite...

"How much does TAXI cost?


A Full One-Year membership is just $299.95.

Just to give you a little perspective, a top music attorney will cost you more than $300 for just one hour! A single plane flight to L.A., N.Y., or Nashville can cost you more than TAXI's entire subscription fee.

When you add up the expense of hotel rooms, rental cars, and meals, TAXI pays for itself many times over. Compared to what you've spent to make your music, TAXI is surprisingly affordable."


This dude raises some interesting points in his comment here (replying to ML defending his own company):

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/01/21/70725/

"Michael you own the company TAXI. You are everywhere defending your own scam. You charge people a membership fee then you charge people to submit songs that are supposedly forwarded to decision makers. When songwriters pay all that money and find out that a lot of the listings are bogus they will realize they are wasting their money. You are busy getting rich while starving artists suffer. No one even knows who your A&R people are that review the material for $5 each song. You publish a list of people that may or may not even work there. There is no proof. If the music gets selected where does it go? To WHO? You never say what companies you are working with at all. Why all the secrecy? Why charge a membership fee? Why not just charge $5 per submission? If you are that worried about people submitting too many songs that your crappy A&R people can’t handle the incoming amount. You may show some successes for the real listings you do provide. But so many of the listings are copied and pasted over and over again from month to month, its pretty obvious to see that they are fake."
Yah, but, dang... i could just literally give $300 to a hobo and it would help my career just as much
Old 17th February 2020
  #37
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
A class action lawsuit would be cool just to get a look at the discovery
Old 17th February 2020
  #38
Gear Maniac
 

$299.95?

I just paid roughly the same amount for a 4 year GAP insurance on a car.
Old 17th February 2020
  #39
Gear Maniac
 

So the limited number of TAXI fans commenting on a GS thread is an indicator that the company is ripping people off? Wow. Interesting metric. Maybe it's only the two of us. Or maybe there are more and they don't care to be insulted, either directly or by association.

Apparently, the only other piece of evidence is one comment on a blog from 3 years ago. Not actually part of the article, nor responded to by the author.

A class action lawsuit?
Old 17th February 2020
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMusic View Post
So the limited number of TAXI fans commenting on a GS thread is an indicator that the company is ripping people off?
Could you point me to where it says that? I think you made that up.

Hey Ron, I saw you on the success stories pages (twice at least)

Why do they do that Ron? Do you think it's a bit disingenuous?
Old 17th February 2020
  #41
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMusic View Post
I’ve been a TAXI member since 2012, I think. I have found it to be easily worth the $200 a year (when you pay 2 years at a time).

I’ve gone from zero works and placements in 2012, to 833 works, and 434 placements as of early 2020. I had a slow, fractured start too. In the beginning, I wanted to be an artist, and a songwriter, and do production music. Spread too thin.

I think TAXI is a really great way to learn a lot about this industry and make connections. It’s been working for me.

I think if it works for you and you are happy about it, then you should stick with it.

By placements, I assume this means tracks being played on TV shows (such as The Kardashians?) If that is correct, then atm your placements seem a bit slow based on number of tracks, but hopefully will pick up as time goes on. Sad to say, but in so many ways, music library production is really all a numbers game.

I got into music library production by accident. I had no intention of ever doing any tracks for TV, but was invited to join an exclusive library by two publishers that had worked exclusively for Universal for over 25 years. So I tend to see the business from a pretty narrow perspective.
Old 17th February 2020
  #42
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
Could you point me to where it says that? I think you made that up.

Hey Ron, I saw you on the success stories pages (twice at least)

Why do they do that Ron? Do you think it's a bit disingenuous?
You posted on page 1 of this thread "There is no reason for Taxi to exist other than to make money from punters who think they are getting some magical key to the music biz.

It is BS."

You also posted a quote from a comment on a blog lambasting the company. I suppose I interpreted that as your evidence claiming the company was a scam. You brought up the number of positive TAXI commenters twice. You seemed to be making a connection between the lack of positive comments here at GS and your opinion that TAXI is BS. You did not use the phrase "rip off". It seemed to be implied. If I misinterpreted your intent, I apologize.

Of course I posted on the success stories page. Have I not been clear I've had a good experience with the company? Is that a problem for you that posted twice in 8 or 9 years? I don't get it. Why would that be disingenuous?

BTW - I realize I'm getting defensive here. The thing is, there have been some accusatory comments of a company I have found to be valuable. I've made friends with other members and with library owners through TAXI. They are actual human beings I have a connection with. So, when people start throwing unsubstantiated criticism - BS, crap, scam - without personal experience, it does two things. One, I believe it's an unfair portrayal of the company, and I do feel a need to call it out. The second thing is there is an implication that if you've ever paid your money to TAXI, you must be gullible, or a fool, or worse (you used the term "punter".). I don't appreciate that implication, especially when I believe it's wrong.
Old 17th February 2020
  #43
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Cook View Post
I think if it works for you and you are happy about it, then you should stick with it.

By placements, I assume this means tracks being played on TV shows (such as The Kardashians?) If that is correct, then atm your placements seem a bit slow based on number of tracks, but hopefully will pick up as time goes on. Sad to say, but in so many ways, music library production is really all a numbers game.

I got into music library production by accident. I had no intention of ever doing any tracks for TV, but was invited to join an exclusive library by two publishers that had worked exclusively for Universal for over 25 years. So I tend to see the business from a pretty narrow perspective.
Yes, placements for me is defined by a TV show that has used one or more of my tracks. Some of those shows are reality TV, like Catfish, MTV's Challenge, some have been sports, some investigative news, among others.

That "Works" number is a bit flawed. It includes retitled tracks, and a number of RF tracks I used to have hosted at Pond5, which I submitted to ASCAP as Works because I was the Publisher. Also, some Music Libraries have entered alternates to cues as cues themselves, so there might be 5-7 Works, when it really should be 1.
Old 17th February 2020
  #44
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMusic View Post
I apologize.
No probs, you were clearly wrong and realised it so I accept your apology.
Old 17th February 2020
  #45
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
you were clearly wrong and realised it so I accept your apology.

What about the duplicate success stories then? That doesn't look good does it?

37 pages of sucess stories seems alot - until you dig a bit deeper and realise there ain't that many once you take out the same names getting multiple mentions.

The fact that someone has done that and thought it was cool says alot.

IMO of course!
Uh huh. Clearly.

You seem to be the only one fixated on the number of success stories posted at TAXI. I don't follow your logic that multiple people posting more than once is disingenuous, but if that's important to you, then congratulations on your tremendous detective work.

Back on topic, here's an analogy... I prefer to workout on my own, in my home, with my own equipment, and do the research to find routines I think will work for me. I think it's overall been effective for me. Other people like to pay to go to a gym, some even hire a personal trainer. For some fo them, it's effective, and for some it's waste of time and money, because they aren't willing to do the work that needs to be done. I don't think that makes the gym and the personal trainer useless, BS, crap, a scam.

I also think throwing those terms around about any company demands you back it up with more evidence than has been presented here. But hey, we're in the age of the Internet Tough Guy, so whatcha gonna do?

Last edited by RKMusic; 18th February 2020 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Insert deleted comments from original quoted post for proper context.
Old 17th February 2020
  #46
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMusic View Post
Uh huh. Clearly.

You seem to be the only one fixated on the number of success stories posted at TAXI. I don't follow your logic that multiple people posting more than once is disingenuous, but if that's important to you, then congratulations on your tremendous detective work.

Back on topic, here's an analogy... I prefer to workout on my own, in my home, with my own equipment, and do the research to find routines I think will work for me. I think it's overall been effective for me. Other people like to pay to go to a gym, some even hire a personal trainer. For some fo them, it's effective, and for some it's waste of time and money, because they aren't willing to do the work that needs to be done. I don't think that makes the gym and the personal trainer useless, BS, crap, a scam.

I also think throwing those terms around about any company demands you back it up with more evidence than has been presented here. But hey, we're in the age of the Internet Tough Guy, so whatcha gonna do?
hehe, love your passive agressiveness!

I suggest attending some Taxi conventions to calm you down

I'm off out to the pub.

Have fun!

x
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump