The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
90s movie sound libraries
Old 2 weeks ago
90s movie sound libraries

Hello!

So I was growing up on the 90s stuff and some of the lower budget movie composers along with some TV series composers (like The X-files' Mark Snow) and then some computer game composers (like Fallout's Mark Morgan) seem to have used a distinct sound effects library which I'm really fond of. Main examples are the OSTs for 3-4th season of The X-Files, and music for the Fallout 1 and 2 and "Planescape: Torment" titles.
I've been putting together a small starter production kit for myself, got some quality piano and e-piano sounds, got a DAW and now I'm looking to lay my hands on some of those sounds that made me go the music route in the first place.
I'm willing to pay to use it, my problem is that I don't know where to even start looking.

I'd be really grateful if anyone can point me at least somewhere. I can also give more concrete examples of the sounds I'm after for you big-eared folks.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You might find some useful stuff in the Korg M1. Korg actually realeased vsts of their 90s stuff - not sure it’s still available but worth a google! I love all that stuff too and played around with it a few years ago.
Old 2 weeks ago
More concrete examples would be good...
Spectrasonics 'Distorted Reality' (1995) was a really popular sample CD and I often heard trade mark sounds from it in movies and tv shows.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
More concrete examples would be good...
Spectrasonics 'Distorted Reality' (1995) was a really popular sample CD and I often heard trade mark sounds from it in movies and tv shows.
The prime example would be this woodwind sound heard in "A trader's life" by Mark Morgan (around 3:23 here) which is clearly the same exact sample used by Mark Snow in The X-Files OST in season 1 episode 4 "The Jersey Devil" around 18:00 and 35:37 marks.

Other Morgan tracks like "Many contrasts" is chock full of female vocalizations that can be similarly cross-referenced to other contemporary works along with that hollow pitched down gong/bell sound that punctuates the "All-clear signal" track (which is also used in TXF, although I cannot readily find it).

Thanks for taking the time to answer me, folks - I really appreciate it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

try out a roland d50 - it was in lots of soundtracks in 90s - linear digital synthesis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Roland Cloud subscription app has both the D-50 and now the XV-5080, both of which have a lot of those glossy retro-ROMpler type sounds. The Korg Legacy collection includes the M1, Wavestation, and now the Triton, all of which were in heavy use back in those days. I worked on the last season of the TV series "The Equalizer" in the late 1980's and we did the whole thing on an M1, a WaveStation, and an Akai S-950.

X-Files composer Mark Snow has been a long time user of the Synclavier, so perhaps Arturia's Synclav plugin has some sounds in that world as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
The 90's? Korg Wavestation.
Old 1 week ago
Thank you for your feedback, guys - I really appreciate it and I'll use this info when I get to the synth sounds.
Maybe I've failed to phrase this right, but at the moment I'm more interested in the sound samples used around that era a lot. If you listen to the specific times I've listed, you'll know what I'm talking about - those are definitely samples and not synths.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search