The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Discovery Networks Corners Composers in Music Royalties Battle
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
From the PMA:

Dear Creative Community,

Some very good news. We have been informed today by Discovery Networks that in regard to performance rights, Discovery has decided that their US channels will remain operating as is under the traditional PRO performing rights model. The PMA would like to personally thank Shawn White and everyone at Discovery for this decision. We greatly appreciate this and look forward as a community to working together with Discovery to provide their programming with the best quality music possible.

If anyone has any questions, please email them to Morgan McKnight, Executive Director of the Production Music Association, who will collate them so we can get responses from Discovery and get back to you. Morgan's email is [email protected].

Thank you very much.
Just wanted to highlight something in the text from PMA...

Quote:
"Discovery has decided that their US channels will remain operating as is under the traditional PRO performing rights model."
did anyone else catch that??? Not worldwide... just their US broadcasts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
I told everyone 8 years ago THIS STEM THING IS B.S! They are amassing all the building blocks they need to REPLACE US and let the editor "construct" the cues himself. Out of the raw materials we gave them, Someone needs to have stem usage officially investigated, I am willing to bet they are Illegally splicing cues together already and collecting the backend themselves.
Terrible.Dee... Meet Source Audio watermarking technology... SA Detect, Meet Terrible.Dee

https://www.sourceaudio.com/detect/

https://www.sourceaudio.com/sourceaudio-detect-faqs/

We watermark all of the stems and mixes for several catalogs we release. We can track every use of every stem on almost every broadcast network in the US so long as clients use 1.5 seconds of it. It works really well.

if you are turning in stems directly to Discovery for their own internal catalog, then you should sign up and watermark the files yourself before delivering them.

From what I have seen, referencing the detected watermarks for stem tracks vs the PRO royalty statements... pretty much every network lists a stem use as a use of the main mix on cue sheets. the PROs pay the same regardless of whether it was a stem used or a main mix.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Just wanted to highlight something in the text from PMA...

did anyone else catch that??? Not worldwide... just their US broadcasts.
I caught it, but my understanding is that US performance royalties were the only ones in question. They weren't going after international royalties.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search