The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TV and Film Composers Say Netflix, Other Streaming Services Insist on Buying Out Thei
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Maniac

TV and Film Composers Say Netflix, Other Streaming Services Insist on Buying Out Thei

TV and Film Composers Say Netflix, Other Streaming Services Insist on Buying Out Their Music Rights

QUOTING (From HOLLYWOOD REPORTER):
"At the end of October, close to 90 composers and songwriters from around the world traveled to Budapest to discuss a contentious issue: streaming services’ efforts to upend how composers are compensated for their work.

Headlining the two-day International Council of Music Creators (CIAM) General Assembly was top Netflix music lawyer Carolyn Javier, who sought to defuse composers’ concerns over licensing contracts, known as buyouts, in which the streaming service pays them a one-time fee for all or most of the rights to their work, precluding them from receiving any backend royalties in the future. It has long been standard procedure for composers to be paid royalties for their compositions each time one is performed in a public setting: on the stage, at a bar, in a network TV or cable series, and now in audiovisual content streaming worldwide."

FULL ARTICLE IS BELOW:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rights-1261940
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Nut

Some PROs won't allow composers to give up their backend royalties.

That's one problem.

Production music as an industry gets more depressing everyday.
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Guru

WTF? How is all this stuff coming together at the EXACT same time? One week ago, all was OK, this morning I'm faced with no more royalties on half my creative works? Time to retire???
Old 13th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
WTF? How is all this stuff coming together at the EXACT same time? One week ago, all was OK, this morning I'm faced with no more royalties on half my creative works? Time to retire???
If you can afford to retire, you should retire.

Leave the madness behind!
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post

Or at least change my efforts over to something that will pay back SOME amount of money. How does Netflix / Discovery / etc. think they will get writers to write for free?
Old 13th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
How does Netflix / Discovery / etc. think they will get writers to write for free?
www.qualityfreemusic.com
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post

I've changed my mind. I'm going to stay, and try to help future generations get quality music. I'll put more effort into fighting these b******'s and write less.

We either bond together as a team or die at the hands of corporate greed.
Old 13th December 2019
Quote:
I've changed my mind. I'm going to stay, and try to help future generations get quality music. I'll put more effort into fighting these b******'s and write less.

Thank you for your support!
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I know I'm like a broken record, but this whole "corporate greed" thing is just the wrong way to look at it. It's just capitalism. This is how it works. If these networks could replace composers with AI composing computers they would. Actually, I'm pretty sure to a very large part they eventually will.

When I was younger (and even dumber) I often heard the response that people in industries that faced 'automation' needed to just get reeducated and move into a different line of work. Auto worker losing job to robot? Reeducate yourself. Coal miner losing job to clean energy? Reeducate yourself.

Most of the people who said that and really believed in it either lacked the capacity for empathy/sympathy, or simply believed that there will always be enough work for everyone and it's just a matter of switching jobs. They almost never saw their own line of work threatened when they made those statements though. Lawyers, investment bankers, doctors.. they'll all see demand drop as AI takes over.

So really the question is faaar larger than dealing with Netflix and Discovery. They'll do whatever they can to make as much money as possible just like every other business. I absolutely think we need to rethink society in general and certainly the business of art in particular.

But likely we won't, because we've "all" been taught that this way is the only way.
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I absolutely think we need to rethink society in general and certainly the business of art in particular.

But likely we won't, because we've "all" been taught that this way is the only way.
I'm surprised that this effort to cheat people out of their livelihoods is a surprise to anyone whose been in the business over the last 70 years. Musicians and Songwriters have always been on the short end of the investment stick. Back in the 50's through the 70s the same story was repeated - Record companies would legally screw artist who signed paperwork that legally allowed the Record companies to take their money. Worst of all - musicians didn't help other musicians out - by talking about what the record companies intentions might be or by letting everyone know what a horrible contract a company will offer. And that sharktastic approach trickled down to the bottom - so touring musicians who had a name would only pay opening acts a pittance - and give them crappy or nonexistent sound and lights - and generally treat the up and coming musicians like dirt - just as the record companies were treating people like dirt.

This recent outrage is just one more legal screw job by investors. And the biggest impediment to people winning against this is not going to be the Lawyers for the various investors - it's going to be our fellow composers - some of whom will sell out to the system instead of standing in solidarity with fellow composers. And they won't not because they don't believe in the cause - it's because everyone is out for themselves - which is the point @ mattiasnyc made at the end of his post - Capitalist have educated us that unless we are only out for ourselves we'll be screwed by solidarity. Which is another way of saying that the big money has always been against Unions - which is the only thing Capitalist are afraid of.
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
this whole "corporate greed" thing is just the wrong way to look at it. It's just capitalism.
Call it what you like. These days, I'm not seeing the difference.
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Call it what you like. These days, I'm not seeing the difference.
I don't disagree, my point was just that everyone that has supported capitalism in the past has supported a system that works towards where we are today. Not having had that forethought was just a lack of imagination or lack of consideration or whatever...
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Nut

The idea of fairness and opportunity for people is only a recently 'enacted' one, I mean look at centuries of feudalism and serfdom and slavery. And again, it was only really an idea. I mean sure, we have cell phones and cars and TVs, but if you lose your job and have a medical emergency, then you go bankrupt and die homeless. I'm not seeing as much difference as the idea had me believe. What a terrible world we live in.
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or at least change my efforts over to something that will pay back SOME amount of money. How does Netflix / Discovery / etc. think they will get writers to write for free?
I know of music supervisors getting unsigned talent to give their work away for free, with the promise of exposure!!
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
I know of music supervisors getting unsigned talent to give their work away for free, with the promise of exposure!!
Two examples of people ruining the industry they seek a career in....

(Double facepalm, and I never facepalm....)
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
The idea of fairness and opportunity for people is only a recently 'enacted' one, I mean look at centuries of feudalism and serfdom and slavery. And again, it was only really an idea. I mean sure, we have cell phones and cars and TVs, but if you lose your job and have a medical emergency, then you go bankrupt and die homeless. I'm not seeing as much difference as the idea had me believe. What a terrible world we live in.
Scandinavia actually made great strides. Sweden in particular kind of lost its way in my opinion, but between WWII and say the 80's-90's it made some really great progress. I wish that attitude and momentum had continued..
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Scandinavia actually made great strides. Sweden in particular kind of lost its way in my opinion, but between WWII and say the 80's-90's it made some really great progress. I wish that attitude and momentum had continued..
Yea I would agree with you, there are some exceptions. I often forget them in my most negative moments.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search