The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any of you mainly VI composers using Apollo?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Any of you mainly VI composers using Apollo?

Pulled the trigger on an x6 yesterday to replace my babyface pro/focusrite octopre (adat) setup. Merry Christmas to me

Wanted some better conversion on my outputs and think i'll be happy to get the BFPro off my desk. Conversion is supposed to be pretty awesome and I'm thinking I'll like the UAD plugs.

The BFpro did do a pretty fine job of handling quite a bit of low latency tracking through amp sims and VI's though... Hoping the Apollo will provide similar results as I don't want to do everything through console/uad plugs.

Anyone using one (or any of the range) and playing in lots of VI/ampsims?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I just got an X6 too! Upgraded from the UAD Apollo Twin. I use a handful of VSTs which I then process with outboard gear. The 6 ins and outs seem to be perfect for that. I have 2 output channels for stereo outboard compression, 2 channels for guitar delay pedals, and 2 remaining aux output channels for routing around on the patchbay. So far its saving time and sounding good. The on-screen console is really well designed as well. Regarding latency, the built-in DSP should result in near 0 ms latency for anything running through the console software. Third party plugins in a DAW are a different story though. Hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I used an Apogee for quite a few years and then switched to an Apollo Twin for the Thunderbolt connection, the sound, the UAD plugins (don't have that many) and the ability to plug a guitar straight into it.

I bought the first of their Twins and it's still just as good now as then. It goes into a pair of Quested V2108s and it all sounds good.
Old 1 week ago
Why in the world did you do this? Just wondering....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

If you read my first post:

"Wanted some better conversion on my outputs and think i'll be happy to get the BFPro off my desk. Conversion is supposed to be pretty awesome and I'm thinking I'll like the UAD plugs."

You don't approve? Got anything to contribute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Why in the world did you do this? Just wondering....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I've got an Apollo setup for my scoring rig, 2x Apollo 8 Quads. UAD stuff is great, man. I got rid of most of my outboard, if for no other reason, the workflow is just way better. When you're doing multiple projects at any given time, it pays just to be able to save everything ITB and jump around projects.

I use a hybrid setup actually, I run DP for my sequence and video playback. I run those stems out of a MOTU828MkIII (via DP) digitally back into the ADAT inputs of the Apollos and into Pro Tools. This way when I bounce my stems or whatever tracks into Pro Tools, I have the option of using UAD plugs with the low latency on the way in and don't have to mess with aligning or dc or whatever.

I basically have PT chasing DP while I'm writing and arranging everything. I really love composing in DP especially working with film, there is nothing like the chunks feature for doing multiple cues in a feature length film. I also have VEPro running for all my VIs on multiple computers.
I still like PT for editing and mixing audio though.

It's a little convoluted, and took a lot of experimenting and dialing in to get everything working happily together, but now that it does, it's a really slick system for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yep. Apollo rules. UA nailed it with the whole setup.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search