The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spitfire Audio Epic Series (Albion I) vs EW Hollywood Orchestra Silver
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Spitfire Audio Epic Series (Albion I) vs EW Hollywood Orchestra Silver

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but looking for some opinions.

I am currently looking for a full orchestral package as only have Impact Soundworks Rhapsody at present and I received an email showing that AudioDeluxe are doing EW Hollywood Orchestra Silver for $99 (£76) over the Black weekend . I was looking at getting the Spitfire Epic Strings and series (which is an Albion I rework & reskin) which will be £116 for all 4 parts.

I have very limited funds, and at present am only looking at scoring against hard rock/metal material, so wondering if either is better than the next? Would it be worth getting both or do they cover similar ground? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfireblack View Post
I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but looking for some opinions.

I am currently looking for a full orchestral package as only have Impact Soundworks Rhapsody at present and I recieved an email showing that AudioDeluxe are doing EW Hollywood Orchestra Silver for $99 (£76) over the Black weekend . I was looking at getting the Spitfire Epic Strings and series (which is an Albion I rework & reskin) which will be £116 for all 4 parts.

I have very limited funds, and at present am only looking at scoring against hard rock/metal material, so wondering if either is better than the next? Would it be worth getting both or do they cover similar ground? Any advice would be very much appreciated.
I'm not an East/West fan, so count me out on that front. From the use you suggest, the Spitfire will not work well for you - at least the Albion stuff which I own. The attacks are not up for the task of aggressive metal machine gun style arrangements - it's more laid back and symphonic. In your stated budget, if you only need strings you might try the Heavyocity Novo Essentials library. Although I have not used Essentials specifically, I have Novo and it will hang with aggressive metal style arrangements with ease. Good luck. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately requiring a BUNCH of libraries to cover yourself on all bases.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Novo Essentials is a good call for what you want. It's not a lot of money and I just did an entire library album using Novo Essentials more or less on every track.

It's an aggressive sound and works well in the right context.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the responses!

It is actually more symphonic/cinematic stuff I am doing and will need woodwinds, brass and percussion as well - My old band used EWQLSO, then EWHO Diamond, and have now moved on to the 8Dio V8P 8W Black Edition, so I know the sound quite well, just never played with them myself, and didn't really want to be getting 2 things that cover the same bases.
There are a number of different libraries that I want, just all out of my price range at present (8Dio Majestica and Lacrimosa, and Gravity being three of them) and will definitely look into NOVO on both of your recommendations.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfireblack View Post

It is actually more symphonic/cinematic stuff I am doing and will need woodwinds, brass and percussion as well

That's what I do too. Doesn't matter what you use as long as it fits into the genre. NOVO Essentials is just strings that happen to sound different to string sections from other orchestral libraries, especially if you have limited funds.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

The OP initially said he was scoring "hard rock / metal". That's why he got the NOVO recommendation. Since he/she changed his mind to "symphonic / cinematic". Two different worlds, and he wouldn't get the same recommendation from me. Hard to know how to advise now...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Hard to know how to advise now...
Agreed. The only way you can advise is by hearing an example of their work imo.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Apologies for any confusion there guys, I should have been clearer.

Basically it is rock/metal but with symphonic/cinematic orchestra added - the band is based on bands like Alter Bridge, Evergrey, and Pain of Salvation, but myself (vocalist/ex-guitarist) and the drummer are big Blind Guardian, Kamelot, etc fans. My old band was Damnation Angels too (I did the first EP). Basically it covers everything from stuff you would hear on the radio to djenty/prog stuff to quite symphonic stuff, but keeping the same core (like that makes any sense ), some with a lot of orchestra, some with a little, but it all sounds like 'us' (you need to find something different and all that)

I have added demo files of 2 of the more orchestral tracks to better give you an idea - the orchestral stuff is a combination of Rhapsody Colours mixed with Orchestral Companion and various freebies (Red Rooms, Spitfire Labs, VSCO2, etc.)

Again, I do really appreciate your time and advice with this. I'm leaning on going for the HO and getting the Spitfire stuff once all modules have been released. We are in the studio again in the new year to rerecord a lot of stuff after a lineup change, so have time to decide on that.
Attached Files

The Dotted Line (no vox).mp3 (4.34 MB, 281 views)

Justify Demo Orch.mp3 (8.07 MB, 279 views)

Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Based on the material, I would stick with what was mooted earlier.

Novo Essentials. Check the videos. It's not in anyway expensive. What's the worse thing that could happen? If it doesn't work out then you didn't spend very much.

As I say, I used it extensively on an album just released a couple of weeks ago on an exclusive music library and according to reports, all their world sub publishers (distributors) are happy with the sound. And I think I bought it for about $99.

Give it go.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Cook View Post
Based on the material, I would stick with what was mooted earlier.

Novo Essentials. Check the videos. It's not in anyway expensive. What's the worse thing that could happen? If it doesn't work out then you didn't spend very much.

As I say, I used it extensively on an album just released a couple of weeks ago on an exclusive music library and according to reports, all their world sub publishers (distributors) are happy with the sound. And I think I bought it for about $99.

Give it go.
Would love to hear it. Do you have a link?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
Would love to hear it. Do you have a link?
I'll keep this up for a short period.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=Adrian Cook;14362414]I'll keep this up for a short period.

Hmmm...Quite harsh those strings. Sounds very processed and makes it sound a bit dated imo. Kinda works for that kinda corporate vibe tho I guess.

Still, you can't complain at 76 quid!!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
Hmmm...Quite harsh those strings. Sounds very processed and makes it sound a bit dated imo. Kinda works for that kinda corporate vibe tho I guess.

I guess so.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Cook View Post
I guess so.
I removed the link btw. Soz, didn't realize till just now.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I have a few String Libs. For the money, I would think that Albion One could fit the task. Mixing and EQing could work wonders on the sound as well.

If you want very aggressive, Metropolos Ark 1 is deadly but it has a nice price tag.

BTW, I am not a fan of any EW stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search