The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tune Bud or Licence Quote? Want to start a Music Library.
Old 28th October 2019
Here for the gear

Tune Bud or Licence Quote? Want to start a Music Library.

Been looking around trying to work out the best way to set up a music library website. Got a load of tracks and couple of composer friends who want to set one up with me.

I've come across a couple of potential options:

- Tune Bud (https://www.tunebud.com/)
- Licence Quote (https://www.licensequote.com/)

Licence Quote was the first one I found seems like an older company to me and they have lots of people signed up nice testimonials. Some of the pages look a bit dated though price is a little more than what i'd ideally want to pay.

Then found the Tune Bud site. Seems a bit more like my sort of price range and I like the more modern design they have going on. Could only find reviews of there old version though. Any ideas on how good the new version is ?

Another has mentioned source audio but they look a bit out of my price range and complex.

Was wondering if any of you had any experience with them or any other similar sites? Any ideas are great.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Head

That's brave.

I assume you mean you're going to start your own music label and then send it out to distributors like e.g. APM, Warner Chappell, Boost, Sonoton, ect ect for distribution right?
Old 28th October 2019
Here for the gear

Tune Bud vs Licence Quote

Not exactly. We want a library of music to show to clients who license it from us for say a TV advert for example. We have had many placements in other peoples libraries but want our own now as the other libraries take a bigger cut of earnings.

We are seriously considering starting with Tune Bud now (just wanted to see if anyone knew of any more sites like it or had experience with licensequote or tunebud). I got in touch and they seem to be really supportive and happy to help so thats always good. And of course the pricing does kinda help
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Head

I would just call around other libraries and ask them who they use literally over the phone. email possibly, but they may not reply.

Is this a Royalty Free library you're going to set up?

If it's not an RF library and more along the exclusive lines, I'm not completely sure how you're going to do distribution. If you're just looking to service local TV stations in your area, (presumably the USA), then I can see that. But if you're looking to go worldwide, you will need distributors like the ones mentioned earlier just as an example.

Anyway, good luck with it all.
Old 29th October 2019
Here for the gear

SourceAudio vs Tune Bud vs Licence Quote

Thanks for your reply. Yeah didnt have to much luck with just asking! Found a few that just used source audio which looks really pro but concerned about return on investment as they are a bit steep for us (may see if i can get a trial).

We have already got the links for getting the placements it was more a case of how to set up the exclusive stock music library from a website point of view. Needed to find a good ecommerce system to license our tracks from with playlisting and such.

The guy at Tunebud gave me a skype call last night and gave me like a guided tour of the system which in all honesty went down really well in my book seems like a solid system. Still weighing it up but i think licencequotes is out now just a bit too dated looking for my liking. But yeah thanks for your replys and idea
Old 29th October 2019
Here for the gear

Licencequote Vs Tune Bud vs SourceAudio

Just a quick update to let you know that i'm now going ahead with Tune Bud. Seems to me like the best deal and system.
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by composer94 View Post
Just a quick update to let you know that i'm now going ahead with Tune Bud. Seems to me like the best deal and system.
I'm also looking for a quick and simple way to license music directly. I have a License Quote account, but it looks so dated...
Tunebud looks better, but the video player is so ugly!
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelanee View Post
Tunebud looks better, but the video player is so ugly!
When i did the skype tour the chap said i could remove any section i didnt like of the homepage (guessing that includes the videos section). Seems pretty customisable.

The mobile optimization was another deciding factor for me in the end cause i actually want to rank on google. They have another guy starting the setup with me now exciting times.
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
When i did the skype tour the chap said i could remove any section i didnt like of the homepage (guessing that includes the videos section). Seems pretty customisable.

The mobile optimization was another deciding factor for me in the end cause i actually want to rank on google. They have another guy starting the setup with me now exciting times.
What I meant is that the wave display on the music player is really unappealing (from the demo site at least).
I would be surprised if you could change that, which is a core element imo. I may be wrong though.
Old 31st October 2019
Here for the gear

Licensequote, Tune Bud, SourceAudio

Quote:
music player is really unappealing (from the demo site at least).
Yeah i thought the same actually, bit sort of pixelated looking for my liking. I thought the site was still nicer looking overall so still went ahead.

They send out emails with information on using it and a free graphics pack(that i probably wont use but still) when you sign up that actually mentions the player having a problem and that its being updated (its all pretty new so my guess is that it is some sort of hang over from the old system or something ill give them the benifit of the doubt).

They said it's modeled on there own library - https://www.cinephonix.com/our-music/tracks/ so i'm hoping it will look pretty similar to what they have on there.
Old 5th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
wave display on the music player is really unappealing (from the demo site at least).
The player actually looks pretty well on my site and looks like they have updated it also on the demo site too. Looks nice.
Old 5th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
The player actually looks pretty well on my site and looks like they have updated it also on the demo site too. Looks nice.
You're right, looks like they fixed it.
I might give them a try.

I really did my best to try to have LicenseQuote fit on my website, but it really clashes with the style: https://emotemusic.com/#store
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Nut

Hi,

have a look at cadenzabox.

Best,

Ilja
Old 7th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khord View Post
Hi,

have a look at cadenzabox.

Best,

Ilja
Thanks for the suggestion, looks nice if quite a way out of my price range, almost finished set up with Tune Bud now but again cheers for the reply may help someone out.
Old 7th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
You're right, looks like they fixed it.
I might give them a try.

I really did my best to try to have LicenseQuote fit on my website, but it really clashes with the style: https://emotemusic.com/#store
You should go for it they have been really good for me.
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
you might want to consider removing the "sounds like" references from your store. This is cutting edge mayhem at the moment with publishers for artists seeking out "sounds like" references on various library websites and skatter gun suing everything they can throw a stick at. Dangerous waters....

I know, it the past, it was a valid meta-data point, and is certainly a highly searched piece of data, but with recent precedent in various high profile law suits, it's dangerous and potentially business crushing. (Several libraries in deep trouble due to this right now.....)

just a FYI...
Old 8th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
you might want to consider removing the "sounds like" references from your store.
Thank you, I hadn't thought about that.
Then again, they couldn't sue me for all the money I'm not making from this
Old 8th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thank you, I hadn't thought about that.
Then again, they couldn't sue me for all the money I'm not making from this
No problem. They won't sure for the money you're making or not making - they will sue for your assets. Not sure if you have any or not, but lawyers can be ruthless,,,,
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We used LicenseQuote for years... worked out as much customization as possible with that tool, even worked with the devs to fix some display problems their API had in our Wordpress layout. Finally decided to close it up, and reboot the whole project, mostly because of the poor interface. Clients really didn't like the LicenseQuote experience. The look is at least 10+ years out of style, and they have never updated it.... and my guess they never will.

Clients will judge your music and your service from the look alone. That being the case... I wouldn't invest too much time in LQ. It works technically. It's a great value. But it doesn't resonate with clients, and just looks cheap in genera imho.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
We have had many placements in other peoples libraries but want our own now as the other libraries take a bigger cut of earnings.
You're not the first people to feel that way and come up with this idea, I'm afraid.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
You're not the first people to feel that way and come up with this idea, I'm afraid.
You're not wrong but we are happy to have a go, TB is cheap enough that its cool for us to use as like a portfolio worst case even if we dont sell too many. Still hoping our contacts will buy direct thought.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search