The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Royalty Free sites, Retitling and Youtube
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Royalty Free sites, Retitling and Youtube

With content ID and RF sites being non-exclusive, whcih means the same song can be in 10 RF sites, doesnt video content producers get copyright strikedowns if one RF sites claims the music while other as well?

how does it work in that world, anyone know?

And also, now that pond5 is offering exclusive deals, what is stopping me from uploading to pond5 exlusive, then turn around change the pitch a semitone up or edit a little the sections of the track and uploading to different RF sites with different names?

i have some old tracks that where part of non exclusive small labels and trying to dump on RF sites, etc. so trying to see how to maximize the RF sites.
I saw a few topics about this but didnt see it related to content id, and pond5 exclusive deals and also trying to see how its going so far with content strikedowns latley. thx
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
And also, now that pond5 is offering exclusive deals, what is stopping me from uploading to pond5 exlusive, then turn around change the pitch a semitone up or edit a little the sections of the track and uploading to different RF sites with different names?
Produce song A, give it to lib X exclusively, and then change the pitch a semitone to give to lib Y - no way. You are giving your exclusive work to two different libs.

Editing the sections - maybe. If it's just switching the order - no. If it's changing the work substantially, so that it can easily be considered anew cue, then why not.

Quote:
With content ID and RF sites being non-exclusive, whcih means the same song can be in 10 RF sites, doesnt video content producers get copyright strikedowns if one RF sites claims the music while other as well?

how does it work in that world, anyone know?
Mistakes happen, I know this first hand. In a perfect world, there are no erroneous copyright claims when the titles are diff - that's part of the idea behind retitling.

Cheers.
Old 15th October 2019
Quote:
Physically, nothing is stopping you from doing this.

However, it would be ethically wrong, and more important, a waste of time. Just write more music!
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Physically, nothing is stopping you from doing this.

However, it would be ethically wrong, and more important, a waste of time. Just write more music!
Ethically i feel its more wrong for pond5 and other (simple websites) to charge more than 50%, and now aks for exclusivity and suggesting priceing and not checking for braodcast royalties/licenses. In general, the whole tech companies taking advantage of individuals like uber and drivers triggering surge pricing to beat the system. small restaurants asking bigger pricing on grubhub etc. these are just simple web apps who barley need more than a medium office space and a few freelancers. yep they got the deal but taking advantage and trying to change the biz to their benefit is why i am asking this. yes, i understand exslusivity.. have it with 3 libraries and i plan to keep it this way. but for these royalty free sites that want to take more money, accept tracks from 3rd world countries where 35 bucks goes a loong way then i thikn WE should find ways to counter these unethical prictices. like the pitch thing, retitling , changing arrangement, etc. so hoefully this expalin a little better my initial post.
Old 15th October 2019
Quote:
Ethically i feel its more wrong for pond5 and other (simple websites) to charge more than 50%, and now aks for exclusivity and suggesting priceing and not checking for braodcast royalties/licenses. In general, the whole tech companies taking advantage of individuals like uber and drivers triggering surge pricing to beat the system. small restaurants asking bigger pricing on grubhub etc. these are just simple web apps who barley need more than a medium office space and a few freelancers. yep they got the deal but taking advantage and trying to change the biz to their benefit is why i am asking this. yes, i understand exslusivity.. have it with 3 libraries and i plan to keep it this way. but for these royalty free sites that want to take more money, accept tracks from 3rd world countries where 35 bucks goes a loong way then i thikn WE should find ways to counter these unethical prictices. like the pitch thing, retitling , changing arrangement, etc. so hoefully this expalin a little better my initial post.
If you want to do unethical things with your music, you have every right to do so. Do it and feel no shame or guilt from it. It is your music. Just be ready to accept any negative consequences.

I see chasing these royalty free sites as a huge waste of time. I only put up my older stuff there and always on a non-exclusive basis. Whatever little money I get from that goes into buying new sound libraries and samples to make more music.

I see no reason to complain about tech companies either. If it looks so easy to run a tech company, you should start one. You need nothing more than an internet connection to get started. You will need more to get to the next level though. The successful ones making tons of money. The unsuccessful ones.....well, we don’t hear about those!

So in either case, get to work.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Produce song A, give it to lib X exclusively, and then change the pitch a semitone to give to lib Y - no way. You are giving your exclusive work to two different libs.

Editing the sections - maybe. If it's just switching the order - no. If it's changing the work substantially, so that it can easily be considered anew cue, then why not.

Mistakes happen, I know this first hand. In a perfect world, there are no erroneous copyright claims when the titles are diff - that's part of the idea behind retitling.

Cheers.
Not two different libraires.... two royalty free tech companies giving away tracks for way below what it shold be costing. i have a HUGE dislike for these royalty free sites and how theyve made us hit rock bottom thanks to adding tracks from countries that have a much lower currency and also taking advange of lots of prodcuers who dont know any beter.

the retitling thing... i read that youtube has this amazing conent id system that relies on AI. millions of dollars where spent on this tech. analyses a whole bunch of things that almost seems like a human is comparing it.
but it happened to me where i grabbed a spectrum analyser video background to add my music, later someone claimed it. some random dude in saudi arabia. i tried contacting that person and youtube and did everything i could to explain with no avail. these tech companies claming to know about copyright my ass. they've been changing the whole legal framework to work for them and we let them. Its the user uplaoding material and we say dont do it... its their mantra yet there are ford and cocacola commercials all over it. so in general trying to find a way to beat the system with my older content.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
If you want to do unethical things with your music, you have every right to do so. Do it and feel no shame or guilt from it. It is your music. Just be ready to accept any negative consequences.

I see chasing these royalty free sites as a huge waste of time. I only put up my older stuff there and always on a non-exclusive basis. Whatever little money I get from that goes into buying new sound libraries and samples to make more music.

I see no reason to complain about tech companies either. If it looks so easy to run a tech company, you should start one. You need nothing more than an internet connection to get started. You will need more to get to the next level though. The successful ones making tons of money. The unsuccessful ones.....well, we don’t hear about those!

So in either case, get to work.
well its like saying just be rich if it looks easy, yet we have labor laws to make sure there are no child labor, there are lunch breaks and other things we now rely as common. these tech firms are the new rich like how it was 100 years ago where just because a small amount of folks had all the capital then it was easy for them to take advantage. and for a while we thought tthe same as you mention it.. just do your own thing.. but it doesnt work that way does it? im not talking about every company or that money is bad. just those who are greedy and try to screw the system. there is craigslist who operates and earn and has been doing so for a long while without issue. uber could of done the same but once they got clout they got greedy... taking too much, not giving insurance and investing billions in dirverless cars... how about any of those dirvers open an app? not that easy isnt it.
but i just dont get anyone aruegming FOR these companies. i see so many comments about pro uber.. "just dont drive for uber" or just dont use youtube and so on. like if there was a real choice for many of us. it has become like not using a utility. you can live without electricity.. millions of humans lived without it for thousands of years. you dont need internet, our parents where fine witout it and so on. these platforms have become so big in necesity that abuse their power. RF sites to me is one of them. we also dont do any better. every few months i post stuff like this and trying to get prodcuers to band together to get better rates. treatment unions etc... but on evert post its a fight. an argument agaisnt it. a "i rather cut my own pieace of the boat on this sinking ship and save myself only" or just plain arguming about anything about how it was said no matter the substance with dllutes the whole point of it.
Old 15th October 2019
Quote:
well its like saying just be rich if it looks easy, yet we have labor laws to make sure there are no child labor, there are lunch breaks and other things we now rely as common. these tech firms are the new rich like how it was 100 years ago where just because a small amount of folks had all the capital then it was easy for them to take advantage. and for a while we thought tthe same as you mention it.. just do your own thing.. but it doesnt work that way does it? im not talking about every company or that money is bad. just those who are greedy and try to screw the system. there is craigslist who operates and earn and has been doing so for a long while without issue. uber could of done the same but once they got clout they got greedy... taking too much, not giving insurance and investing billions in dirverless cars... how about any of those dirvers open an app? not that easy isnt it.
but i just dont get anyone aruegming FOR these companies. i see so many comments about pro uber.. "just dont drive for uber" or just dont use youtube and so on. like if there was a real choice for many of us. it has become like not using a utility. you can live without electricity.. millions of humans lived without it for thousands of years. you dont need internet, our parents where fine witout it and so on. these platforms have become so big in necesity that abuse their power. RF sites to me is one of them. we also dont do any better. every few months i post stuff like this and trying to get prodcuers to band together to get better rates. treatment unions etc... but on evert post its a fight. an argument agaisnt it. a "i rather cut my own pieace of the boat on this sinking ship and save myself only" or just plain arguming about anything about how it was said no matter the substance with dllutes the whole point of it.
Yes, we producers do not want to band together.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Royalty Free sites -

"To production music as homeopathy is to medical research." - A.Quote.
Old 16th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
Royalty Free sites -

"To production music as homeopathy is to medical research." - A.Quote.
LMFAO!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search