The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can't add an ASCAP publisher at my BMI account
Old 12th October 2019
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Can't add an ASCAP publisher at my BMI account

Hi,

I was just about to add a new work at my PRO. I am the writer (BMI), and then there's the publisher (ASCAP).

However, while trying to register the track I've got this warning:

"A BMI writer must not be linked to a publisher group that contains any ASCAP or SESAC"

...what the hell?

The cue earned most likely tons of blanket licensing fees (with no syncs at all!), so I am a bit in panic mode to be quite frank.

What to do?!

Thanks!
-Freshdax
Old 13th October 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshdax View Post
and then there's the publisher (ASCAP).
No - ASCAP is not a publisher, but a PRO.
Old 13th October 2019
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Yeah, so funny...

...if it wasn't a joke; of course I am aware ASCAP is a PRO. But I still don't get why I can't register the ASCAP registered publisher in my BMI work registration panel?

Further I have another question which is actually much more important; I changed quite a while ago from GEMA to BMI, and as written above there are still two tracks registered at GEMA, making possibly a lot of royalties from airplay!
So, which scenario would make the most sense?

Would GEMA send the royalties to BMI, so I'll get my royalties with my next paycheck (I know that IF this might true, it could possibly take quite a while), or do I even loose those royalties, as I'm not registered at GEMA anymore?

-Freshd.
Old 13th October 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshdax View Post
Yeah, so funny...

...if it wasn't a joke;
Actually, that was not a joke; I was being completely serious. Wouldn't be the first time someone thought a PRO was also the publisher.

I just re-read your op, and now I see where you are saying there is a publisher, and that they are with ASCAP. I misread it originally, so, my bad.

First, why are you trying to register the track - shouldn't your publisher be doing that?

Second, the publisher (in the USA) is not just ASCAP, they are all three, and collect from whatever PRO the writer belongs to.

Cheers.
Old 13th October 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 

You can't cross register between ASCAP and BMI..if you're a BMI writer you can open a BMI publishing account or possibly elect to have the publishing monies pass through to the writer's account directly. My choice would be to open a BMI publishing account...

But yes the library/publisher should have this handled already.
Old 17th October 2019
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Actually, that was not a joke; I was being completely serious. Wouldn't be the first time someone thought a PRO was also the publisher.

I just re-read your op, and now I see where you are saying there is a publisher, and that they are with ASCAP. I misread it originally, so, my bad.

First, why are you trying to register the track - shouldn't your publisher be doing that?

Second, the publisher (in the USA) is not just ASCAP, they are all three, and collect from whatever PRO the writer belongs to.

Cheers.
The problem is that my publisher is a real jerk! No reaction on anything, which makes everything a thousand times more complicated. Haven't heard from him for years...

Freshd.
Old 18th October 2019
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshdax View Post
The problem is that my publisher is a real jerk! No reaction on anything, which makes everything a thousand times more complicated. Haven't heard from him for years...

Freshd.
Get another publisher: yourself!
Old 18th October 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshdax View Post
The problem is that my publisher is a real jerk! No reaction on anything, which makes everything a thousand times more complicated. Haven't heard from him for years...
My pubs are cool
Old 18th October 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshdax View Post
The problem is that my publisher is a real jerk! No reaction on anything, which makes everything a thousand times more complicated. Haven't heard from him for years...

Freshd.
If the song is already registered with a publisher at ASCAP, then it's already been registered with an ASCAP writer. If that's not you, then maybe your publisher is even more of a jerk than you thought. Go do a search for the song title and publisher at ASCAP and see what's up.
Old 18th October 2019
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Thanks for your input!

I've just checked for both tracks on the ASCAP database. I am actually listed as writer and performer!

BUT... it also says (as for me):
-PRO: "NS" (no society)
-IP: "-" (blank)
-ASCAP controls 0%

While as the publisher is listed obviously with his PRO, IPI, and it says "ascap owns 50%".

What the hell?!

Gents - I am boiling inside! Is this some sort of legal limbo, or actually a given evidence to shatter that music library owner to the ground via a lawsuit?

Freshd.
Old 18th October 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshdax View Post
Thanks for your input!

I've just checked for both tracks on the ASCAP database. I am actually listed as writer and performer!

BUT... it also says (as for me):
-PRO: "NS" (no society)
-IP: "-" (blank)
-ASCAP controls 0%

While as the publisher is listed obviously with his PRO, IPI, and it says "ascap owns 50%".

What the hell?!

Gents - I am boiling inside! Is this some sort of legal limbo, or actually a given evidence to shatter that music library owner to the ground via a lawsuit?

Freshd.
You are caught in limbo. Basically, the song was incorrectly registered. That could have been something as simple as incompetence, or something as sinister as knowingly cutting you out. You have to communicate with the publisher. If you move the piece to BMI at this point, it's very unlikely you'll get any money. If you keep the song with ASCAP, you can register a spouse's name (or writer pseudonym) with ASCAP, have the publisher make a correction to the registration using that new registered name, and then make sure, via ASCAP, that you get paid whatever the publisher has been paid on those pieces.

Sometimes you gotta jump through hoops. I find jumping through hoops can yield a lot of money when it comes to PRO's.
Old 18th October 2019
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
You are caught in limbo. Basically, the song was incorrectly registered. That could have been something as simple as incompetence, or something as sinister as knowingly cutting you out. You have to communicate with the publisher. If you move the piece to BMI at this point, it's very unlikely you'll get any money. If you keep the song with ASCAP, you can register a spouse's name (or writer pseudonym) with ASCAP, have the publisher make a correction to the registration using that new registered name, and then make sure, via ASCAP, that you get paid whatever the publisher has been paid on those pieces.

Sometimes you gotta jump through hoops. I find jumping through hoops can yield a lot of money when it comes to PRO's.
This sounds pretty awful. Please check your PMs mate.

-Freshd.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump