The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Seems I have hit a brick wall
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Seems I have hit a brick wall

I would appreciate some advice.

I have a small publishing/record label business.

Had numerous placements over the years, some tv shows, a trailer and a big film placement. Pretty much all of these have come through LUCK, and via a library called Musicdealers which seems to have gone defunct.

More recently I've grown increasingly frustrated by the lack of uptake on any tracks I'm sending out. Just getting decision makers to even LISTEN to my catalogue is like getting blood out of a stone. Where cold emailing or even emailing once worked, it no longer does......I have numerous excellent songs and productions just sitting in libraries doing sod all. It pains me, as I really believe in the tracks and feel I am letting my artists down.

I've attended sync networking events and find them of no benefit whatsoever. Typical scenario - you'll get a music supervisor interviewed on stage giving advice on how to get your music placed. Then you approach them afterwards (it is a networking event after all) and they'll look at you like they don't want to know.....maybe give you their card, you follow up by email and then hear nothing, so what's the point?...

So emailing isn't working, networking not effective and placements through libraries is just pot luck.

Any advice on where to go from here? I realise many of you are probably in the same boat given the saturation of available music, but the the thing is, I look at other publishers websites and they're getting tons of placements.......

Are there particular libraries I should be targeting?

Seems like such a closed door to me.....
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtoo View Post

Had numerous placements over the years, some tv shows, a trailer and a big film placement. Pretty much all of these have come through LUCK, and via a library called Musicdealers which seems to have gone defunct.

More recently I've grown increasingly frustrated by the lack of uptake on any tracks I'm sending out. Just getting decision makers to even LISTEN to my catalogue is like getting blood out of a stone. Where cold emailing or even emailing once worked, it no longer does......I have numerous excellent songs and productions just sitting in libraries doing sod all. It pains me, as I really believe in the tracks and feel I am letting my artists down.

I've attended sync networking events and find them of no benefit whatsoever. Typical scenario - you'll get a music supervisor interviewed on stage giving advice on how to get your music placed. Then you approach them afterwards (it is a networking event after all) and they'll look at you like they don't want to know.....maybe give you their card, you follow up by email and then hear nothing, so what's the point?...

So emailing isn't working, networking not effective and placements through libraries is just pot luck.

Any advice on where to go from here? I realise many of you are probably in the same boat given the saturation of available music, but the the thing is, I look at other publishers websites and they're getting tons of placements.......

Do you have a link to your music? I would like to listen to what you have. We can go from there. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Do you have a link to your music? I would like to listen to what you have. We can go from there. Thanks.
Thanks for the reply. I've PM'd you a link
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtoo View Post

Move to LA. Nothing beats face to face interactions. If you don't have someone on the ground and in person pitching then it is going to be hard for you to get noticed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for snowflakes

Oblique Strategies

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search