The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Film distributor forums?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Film distributor forums?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here knows of any good film distributor forums where one may be able to learn what kind of money is being made in that business.

I have another thread here about some licensing issues. This is kind of related to that, but I did not want to seem to take that thread way off-topic.

Just thought if I nosed around I may be able to get an idea what kind of money a distributor tends to make, in what kind of markets, with older films.

Best,

audioforce
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nothing at all on this one? No one knows where distributors have a forum or anything like that?

Best,

audioforce
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I hate to sound like a dick (then don't Jeff!!!), but have you tried google, with varying search terms, followed by message board?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Jeff... you’re such a dick lol

To the OP... are you trying to learn what sort of money film distributors are making?

If so, that’s one of those “none of your f’ing business” deals basically lol

You can pretty easily find a picture’s filming budget, box office... sometimes you can find out what the $$ is on the streaming, cable, foreign markets, etc... but, long story short, I think the best you’ll be able to find is a general percentage that you can use on tentpole, indie, straight to video or whatever film genre...

“Hollywood Accounting” is real my friend
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Jeff... you’re such a dick lol

To the OP... are you trying to learn what sort of money film distributors are making?

If so, that’s one of those “none of your f’ing business” deals basically lol

You can pretty easily find a picture’s filming budget, box office... sometimes you can find out what the $$ is on the streaming, cable, foreign markets, etc... but, long story short, I think the best you’ll be able to find is a general percentage that you can use on tentpole, indie, straight to video or whatever film genre...

“Hollywood Accounting” is real my friend
You also sound like a dick. : ) But do tell more. I know there’s a lot of like unknown stuff. Let’s say a distributor owns all the rights to a film. Are they going to make thousands? hundreds of thousands? We’re talking about selling copies direct to the public. Maybe TV distribution or distribution overseas but it looks like their main thing is selling copies directly to individuals.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
You also sound like a dick. : ) But do tell more. I know there’s a lot of like unknown stuff. Let’s say a distributor owns all the rights to a film. Are they going to make thousands? hundreds of thousands? We’re talking about selling copies direct to the public. Maybe TV distribution or distribution overseas but it looks like their main thing is selling copies directly to individuals.
For a general discussion on how that industry works, I agree with Jeff that the google is your friend
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

You might try imDb, but honestly, good is right. You're not really going to get a straight up answer to your question. At least not an honest one. Like I said before, get yourself a well connected entertainment attorney that specializes in licensing. That's your best bet to a fair outcome. I can guarantee you that the film company has a shark attorney. You really want to make a deal without one?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
You might try imDb, but honestly, good is right. You're not really going to get a straight up answer to your question. At least not an honest one. Like I said before, get yourself a well connected entertainment attorney that specializes in licensing. That's your best bet to a fair outcome. I can guarantee you that the film company has a shark attorney. You really want to make a deal without one?
Guys, I'm not naive. I'm not looking for a "straight up" answer. And it would vary anyway. Just looking to see if there are any discussion groups anyone knows about, or for general ideas. People do have an idea of how these things work, generally, and one can figure stuff out from there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I can guarantee you that the film company has a shark attorney. You really want to make a deal without one?
Yeah, if there's not enough money to warrant hiring one. I understand.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
In my experience, you need to meet someone who is already on the inside, and likes your work.

I had good success with Warner Brothers but that was only because my music was on par with the current successful bands, and I knew the son of the vice president of the company, who could submit them for me.

Otherwise I would have had to spend tens of thousands on hiring promoters.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Yeah, if there's not enough money to warrant hiring one. I understand.
It's almost a guarantee that you'll leave money on the table without one. If you're wary, let them make the first offer and see where it lays. If they ask for a license for $200, tell them to remove your music, and walk away. They will come back begging. Guaranteed it will cost them $20-50k just to pull your music and remix the film.

Your music is already IN. You are in the drivers seat. They cannot legally do a thing without your permission. For them to release without your permission goes far beyond insanity. They will either make a deal with you, ditch the project and loose the money they have already put into it, or scrap the sound track and start over. And they might not even have the elements for that at this point.....

The fact that the film has been used PREVIOUSLY without a license from you should make you pissed, and wary of any offer from these guys. Tell them that you have already LOST money on the previous release, and that you need to recoup that from them before you even begin negotiations. They are the OWNERS of this asset now. New owners almost always assume the liabilities of previous owners. Get an attorney or tell them to take your music out. Seriously.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
In my experience, you need to meet someone who is already on the inside, and likes your work.

I had good success with Warner Brothers but that was only because my music was on par with the current successful bands, and I knew the son of the vice president of the company, who could submit them for me.

Otherwise I would have had to spend tens of thousands on hiring promoters.
I hear you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search