The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is SoundCloud the best way to share my composition portfolio?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Is SoundCloud the best way to share my composition portfolio?

Hi guys

I'm building a new website, and want to embed a great player in it that showcases my compositions. In the past I've just shared Dropbox links to demonstrate my work, but I think it's time for something that's better organised and built for sharing music.

SoundCloud seems to be the pick of the bunch - a simple way to keep all my work in one place and share it easily. I like the fact I can pin my best tracks to the top of my page, and also the ability to replace tracks (if I've made a change to the mix, etc) without losing likes and comments.

Are there any alternatives I should consider?

Thanks guys!

Cheers
Mike
Old 4 weeks ago
It's the biggest player in its field, and depending upon which plan you go with, you can even sell your tunes or at least make money from them. It has its drawbacks, but it's still by far the most popular, and when you're dealing with "social media" sites like this, the number of users is important. Others I've tried or looked into had some improvements over SoundCloud, but only had a small percentage of SC's users. Without a large body of active users, your music won't be discovered by anybody except for the people you send to the page.

Steve
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I prefer reelcrafter.com* over SoundCloud. But then again, I don’t really care much about the social media aspect.

*my referral link, get 50% off your first month (or 15% off an annual plan) when they subscribe using your personal referral link and I get a bit off too. But, I don’t work for them, simply a customer
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequentialist View Post
Hi guys

I'm building a new website, and want to embed a great player in it that showcases my compositions. In the past I've just shared Dropbox links to demonstrate my work, but I think it's time for something that's better organised and built for sharing music.

SoundCloud seems to be the pick of the bunch - a simple way to keep all my work in one place and share it easily. I like the fact I can pin my best tracks to the top of my page, and also the ability to replace tracks (if I've made a change to the mix, etc) without losing likes and comments.

Are there any alternatives I should consider?

Thanks guys!

Cheers
Mike
Hi

First thing is first - when you showcase your compositions, you are showcasing yourself first and foremost. Consider that with your website. Having that wix message at the top is maybe not the best way to go; it shows they are using you to showcase their site builder. Are you looking to expose yourself, or someone else?

IMHO, you should have a dedicated player on your site, and not embed any freebie player. I know a lot of composers do that; I personally think it's unprofessional.

This is professional looking:

https://officialchristopheryoung.com/music

Cheers.

Last edited by Jeff Hayat; 4 weeks ago at 07:39 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post

This is professional looking:

https://officialchristopheryoung.com/music

Cheers.
I like that.

How do I do it like that Jeff?

Thx
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
I like that.

How do I do it like that Jeff?

Thx
Chris Young’s site is actually using Squarespace, which has a very slick album playlist widget. I use it on my own site. The drawback is it’s only available on certain templates, but it is a very nice UI design.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenose View Post
Chris Young’s site is actually using Squarespace, which has a very slick album playlist widget. I use it on my own site. The drawback is it’s only available on certain templates, but it is a very nice UI design.
Ah cool. My site is already on squarespace so will check that out.

Thx
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclements View Post
I prefer reelcrafter.com* over SoundCloud. But then again, I don’t really care much about the social media aspect.

*my referral link, get 50% off your first month (or 15% off an annual plan) when they subscribe using your personal referral link and I get a bit off too. But, I don’t work for them, simply a customer
ReelCrafter all the way.

For many reasons

Including-

Much better sound quality than Soundcloud

Old 18 hours ago
Currently looking into https://audius.co/

Streaming @ 320, so probably the best quality of the lot, but I'm having some issues uploading. It also seems fairly limited at the moment, but it's rather new, so...
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear

There was this EDM DJ poster from EU on here (or KVR??) who had his work hosted on some site in EU (Germany or Sweden, can't recall now) which I though was really amazingly laid out and had amazing high quality streaming and performance. It seemed miles better performance and layout than soundcloud. I wiil try to dig it up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search