The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
movies to practice
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

movies to practice

I want to know if it is possible to find short films with voices and ambient noises without soundtrack to practice creating soundtracks.

sorry I don't speak English well.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Right at the top of this forum page :

Using video footage to practise composing...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Legalities and all that aside, several years ago in the suite next door to me they were mixing Werner Herzog's "Grizzly Man." It started out jam-packed with great multichannel ambiences, fx, foley and music. Little by little, Herzog ripped almost all of it out to give it way more of a home-movie feel.

That'd be a good one to "embellish."
Old 2 days ago
I started making videos and short films to better understand the photographer/director's approach to music; my aim was to create music for film and to walk a mile in a director's shoes to anticipate what might be required.

One thing I found useful was to just film/video (and audio record) an everyday, mundane street scene, some traffic, or clouds, or view from a bus; then later use musical composition to create a narrative or sync with the visuals.

The Prelinger Archive and various online catalogues have loads of diverse and interesting films in public domain or for personal use.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Right at the top of this forum page :

Using video footage to practise composing...
Man, I can talk, huh?

I think the op in this thread was referring to practicing scoring to film in the privacy of his own home, in which case, fair use, and legal stuff wouldn't come into play. So long as nothing is sent to anyone/released.

Cheers.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for your answers!
however if I don't monetize can I also use scenes from a movie that is famous for showing my work online?
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundspace73 View Post
Thanks for your answers!
however if I don't monetize can I also use scenes from a movie that is famous for showing my work online?
Some people do: they either get prosecuted or sued; and/or the video is taken down. Some people get away with using another persons work without permission.

The law does allow for uses of parody, education, or, commentary. I am not a lawyer.

Welcome to Gearslutz
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your answers!
Didn't you read what I said?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for your answers!
No. You can use them to practice, but you can't use them to promote yourself or to show others.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Head

The Birds and No Country For Old Men spring to mind

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search