The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any tricks to widen the strings without losing the room image?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any tricks to widen the strings without losing the room image?

As the topic states i am looking to widen the stereo image of my string section without ruininng room image or cause phase issues ... any tips?

This is what i want to achieve at the end of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9QVl9bY8Lw

Note the crazy big strings at the beginning.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by fustrun View Post
As the topic states i am looking to widen the stereo image of my string section without ruininng room image or cause phase issues ... any tips?

This is what i want to achieve at the end of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9QVl9bY8Lw

Note the crazy big strings at the beginning.
Just FYI... that is not just strings at the beginning. It's strings and low brass. And it sounds like some distorted Contrabass and/or cellos too. Or maybe they have a cimbasso sample layered in there too. There is something giving a slight distorted sound. the kind of sound you get when running a DI from an Electric Cello or Upright bass through an amp simulator.

To be honest, most of the time that big sound is all in the orchestration. No real mixing tricks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Decca tree mic placement
M49 or M50 mic's. I ddi not see any, appears they were using DPA
They were using U67 or U87 as spot mic's in some cases. I would bet there was 0.25 million $ in mic's going.
No tricks. Just pan the spot mic's into the stereo field of the overall room mic's

The one vew of the screen, there were showing clipping lol

The tube clock is very cool.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, might help noting that i am working with samples.

And i am mostly refering not to the sound but to the big harsh and wide sound of the violin/viola sections,
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fustrun View Post
Thanks guys, might help noting that i am working with samples.

And i am mostly refering not to the sound but to the big harsh and wide sound of the violin/viola sections,
Pan close mics quite a bit, make them the focal point, and then add DT, OR, AMB, et al. mics as needed. You can even try collapsing the mics that have ambience a bit... not necessarily to mono, but narrowing the image can help a bit - sometimes.

Layering different libs will help as well.

And I am with Etch - the arrangement is essential. Even tho you are keying in on the violin/viola sections, what the rest of the orch is doing plays a role.

Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Either use a dry strings library, or, as Jeff wrote, use the close mics prominently and pan them. Panning string sections that have been recorded in place doesn't work too well because it messes with the room information. If you want it wider still, you can add some gentle processing on the mix (with DrMS4 for example, or any other good mid-side processor). Just make sure to keep an eye on mono compatibility.
Old 4 weeks ago
Mrx
Gear Addict

Regarding the low string it sounds to me like there's a synth bass mixed in with the strings. If you then add some sort of percussive low hit, timpani etc. you should be close.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you guys!

I actually almost did not use close mics so i brought them up and panned the close mics around and already got a little better, then i added the S1 Imager just so slightly and it sounds pretty damn wide compared to what it did before and still sounds natural!

Thanks all for the help!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also to point out, the fact there's that narrow low end stabs happening helps create contrast with the wide strings. It's almost like the stereo image is doing a call and answer..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search