The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is a "brief"?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

What is a "brief"?

I've been reading through many threads here, gathering as much information as I can, as well as asking questions and have gotten some responses that have helped me investigate further and learn more.

One of my posts was about this very thing though - terminology - this is where I often get stuck - learning the "lingo".

So in my travels here, I came across a bunch of threads where people used the word "brief" - not underwear, but I think maybe a document or something that explains what the filmmaker wants or wants where?

What is a brief - and under what circumstances would you deal with one - it seems like from what I read it's not something that is always used.

TIA
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You've got it absolutely right Stevie. The brief tells the composer what the library/director/agency is looking for. It can be vague ('give us something dark and brooding, but with not too much tension') or very specific ('the tempo needs to be 120 bpm, with breaks after 48 and 193 seconds. We want instruments x and y, and it should sound like the track 'Exemplary' by the writer 'Noname''). A brief is not always needed, especially if the composer is to have a lot of freedom in what she/he writes. But if the director/library have certain expectations they often communicate them to the composer via a brief.

By the way, a real life example of briefs for library music can be found here. I'm just relaying this here because it is the only example of open briefs I know. Do your due diligence and investigate the contract and library thoroughly if you are thinking about submitting to these briefs:

http://www.evolutionmediamusic.com/briefs
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
You've got it absolutely right Stevie. The brief tells the composer what the library/director/agency is looking for. It can be vague ('give us something dark and brooding, but with not too much tension') or very specific ('the tempo needs to be 120 bpm, with breaks after 48 and 193 seconds. We want instruments x and y, and it should sound like the track 'Exemplary' by the writer 'Noname''). A brief is not always needed, especially if the composer is to have a lot of freedom in what she/he writes. But if the director/library have certain expectations they often communicate them to the composer via a brief.

By the way, a real life example of briefs for library music can be found here. I'm just relaying this here because it is the only example of open briefs I know. Do your due diligence and investigate the contract and library thoroughly if you are thinking about submitting to these briefs:

http://www.evolutionmediamusic.com/briefs
So really stupid question - I could just submit some stuff to this, couldn't I?

I was telling someone else that while I'm still a beginner, I need definable goals and deadlines to force me to create, and these kinds of guidelines and deadlines would be great for me to learn to work under so I can "practice" doing these things.

But if I submit anything, is there anything I should do - should I be a member of ASCAP or something first?

And is this a "legit" Library?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yeah, they are legit. And you need to sign up with ASCAP or BMI.

A friend of mine has a few tracks with them and AFAIK they tend to want a few too many revisions done, for me to be interested, but if that doesn't put you off, by all means, submit a few tracks and see what happens.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieotomy View Post
But if I submit anything, is there anything I should do - should I be a member of ASCAP or something first?
You don't need to be a member of a PRO to submit cues to a lib, but you do need to be a member if you want to get paid your performance royalties.

If your cues are accepted, among personal info you will have to give to the lib (DOB, addy, etc), is your PRO affiliation/membership. It's best to be ready with that ahead of time, so you don't need to tell the lib, "hold on - I will get back to you with that!"

Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Your questions are absolutely on point. And they are exactly what you need to figure out for yourself before contacting a library. A good starting point for a newbie are these articles:

https://www.soundonsound.com/music-b...y-music-part-1

Also, www.musiclibraryreport.com has sections called 'Newbie Info' and 'Newbie Questions' that provide useful infos for beginners and that you can access for free.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
You don't need to be a member of a PRO to submit cues to a lib, but you do need to be a member if you want to get paid your performance royalties.

If your cues are accepted, among personal info you will have to give to the lib (DOB, addy, etc), is your PRO affiliation/membership. It's best to be ready with that ahead of time, so you don't need to tell the lib, "hold on - I will get back to you with that!"

Cheers.
Makes sense. PRO is "Performance Royalty Organization" I assume - ASCAP, BMI, etc.

Is it really only necessary to be a member of ASCAP if I'm in the US?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Your questions are absolutely on point. And they are exactly what you need to figure out for yourself before contacting a library. A good starting point for a newbie are these articles:

https://www.soundonsound.com/music-b...y-music-part-1

Also, www.musiclibraryreport.com has sections called 'Newbie Info' and 'Newbie Questions' that provide useful infos for beginners and that you can access for free.
Those are on my to do list!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
Yeah, they are legit. And you need to sign up with ASCAP or BMI.

A friend of mine has a few tracks with them and AFAIK they tend to want a few too many revisions done, for me to be interested, but if that doesn't put you off, by all means, submit a few tracks and see what happens.
So if you don't mind my asking, I did notice that they said "1st draft" due by...

So I would assume they may want you to touch it up if they find fault with it.

I suppose if I submitted something, and they asked for a revision, and I did the revision, and they asked for another, at that point I'd say "thanks anyway" - which I suppose would burn that bridge.

So I don't know if once you get into it if there's a graceful way to get out of it

I'd rather them outright refuse it :-)

I suppose if they ask for a revision, without outright declining it, at least it means you're on the right track though.

Maybe I'll do one, just to get a sense of how it all works, and see how it goes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieotomy View Post
So if you don't mind my asking, I did notice that they said "1st draft" due by...

So I would assume they may want you to touch it up if they find fault with it.

I suppose if I submitted something, and they asked for a revision, and I did the revision, and they asked for another, at that point I'd say "thanks anyway" - which I suppose would burn that bridge.

So I don't know if once you get into it if there's a graceful way to get out of it

I'd rather them outright refuse it :-)

I suppose if they ask for a revision, without outright declining it, at least it means you're on the right track though.

Maybe I'll do one, just to get a sense of how it all works, and see how it goes.
I got the impression from my friend that will ask for unnecessary changes. He thought that often the revised track was no better than v1.

Give it a shot. Maybe they're happy with your tracks as they are.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search