The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Trailer Publisher Feedback.
Old 8th August 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Trailer Publisher Feedback.

Hi All

I'm kinda of a newbie to GS and the media music world in general.

Was looking for some insight, into a trailer company called Shock Files due to some interest in my work.

I have and did alot looking around before sending my music, but can't seem to find much else.

I'm kinda really excited, but wary of making a big mistake due to being new to this world.

Any info would be really great.
Thank You
Old 18th August 2019
  #2
Gear Head
 

Noel Webb runs Spider Cues which is a PMA Library if that helps
Old 21st August 2019
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyKnights View Post
Hi All

I'm kinda of a newbie to GS and the media music world in general.

Was looking for some insight, into a trailer company called Shock Files due to some interest in my work.

I have and did alot looking around before sending my music, but can't seem to find much else.

I'm kinda really excited, but wary of making a big mistake due to being new to this world.

Any info would be really great.
Thank You
If there money is green and they are willing to pay, then it's not a mistake. If they seem suspect just try to get paid upfront.

And search this forum to get up to speed on rates and how the pricing works for the different rights packages they ask for. Remember it doesn't really matter what they say on the phone and how they TELL you they are going to use it. It matters what they ask for in the rights package. If they tell you they want to use it as an internet only trailer or a film festival trailer, but then in the quote request they say they want all media including theatrical, worldwide, in perpetuity... well that's a $20,000 to $40,000 license regardless how how they TELL you they are going to use it (which a film festival trailer might be $1500~$3000 and an internet only trailer might be anywhere from $1500 to $9500).
Old 21st August 2019
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyKnights View Post
Hi All

I'm kinda of a newbie to GS and the media music world in general.

Was looking for some insight, into a trailer company called Shock Files due to some interest in my work.

I have and did alot looking around before sending my music, but can't seem to find much else.

I'm kinda really excited, but wary of making a big mistake due to being new to this world.

Any info would be really great.
Thank You
also if you are about to start licensing music for trailers... GET AN EXPERIENCED ENTERTAINMENT attorney who has experience with trailer licensing and film/TV licensing. Get that attorney on retainer or at least call and pick one and see if they are willing to give you a smaller retainer to help you with this initial license.
Old 12th September 2019
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Cheers for all the info it does help.

Noel has been great to talk to infact very cool. I was told my music with tv promo works well and that will be the main focus.

Placement and royalty questions.

Placement. How many do people get on average for tv spots and trailers per one or two months.

Royalty. I know it could be 100% zero, so I'm looking for just a rough guide. If TV Spots only last for a short time, then the royalties must be small.

Thanks
Old 12th September 2019
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyKnights View Post
Cheers for all the info it does help.

Noel has been great to talk to infact very cool. I was told my music with tv promo works well and that will be the main focus.

Placement and royalty questions.

Placement. How many do people get on average for tv spots and trailers per one or two months.

Royalty. I know it could be 100% zero, so I'm looking for just a rough guide. If TV Spots only last for a short time, then the royalties must be small.

Thanks
Depends on if they are classified as promos or advertisements or trailers.

TV Promos actually pay really well relatively speaking (ASCAP pays about $20/airing on Primetime Network TV. BMI I think pays about $40/airing on primetime network TV. On cable they pay anywhere from $1 to $4 per airing. With a TV Promo you'll usually get around 170 to 300 airings in the two week period the promos air). Adverts pay so-so... Trailers do not pay any royalties (even though ASCAP/BMI claim they pay on trailers, you can only get paid if the film studio lists the trailer with Enumerator... which most do not so as to hide their ad buy strategies).
Old 13th September 2019
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Depends on if they are classified as promos or advertisements or trailers.

TV Promos actually pay really well relatively speaking (ASCAP pays about $20/airing on Primetime Network TV. BMI I think pays about $40/airing on primetime network TV. On cable they pay anywhere from $1 to $4 per airing. With a TV Promo you'll usually get around 170 to 300 airings in the two week period the promos air). Adverts pay so-so... Trailers do not pay any royalties (even though ASCAP/BMI claim they pay on trailers, you can only get paid if the film studio lists the trailer with Enumerator... which most do not so as to hide their ad buy strategies).
Yeah, I got $800 for a four second promo for my last ASCAP check.
Old 13th September 2019
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Yeah, I got $800 for a four second promo for my last ASCAP check.
I know a composer that got $9700 from ASCAP for 4 weeks of a single TV Show Launch Promo campaign on CBS. And what makes that even sweeter is they didn't even use his cue, they just used his Strings stem from his cue. LOL

But that was not the norm... I usually see anywhere from $500 to $2000 from ASCAP per promo placement.
Old 14th September 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Nice one.

Another question. I have put my tracks info in to PRS UK and they ask which US Pro to collect from. Etch said $20 for Ascap and $40 Bmi? So bmi pays more for non vocal cues? I'm not sure if my track info is really needed, although I've always choose the Ascap option but now thinking to amend to Bmi??
Old 3 days ago
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyKnights View Post
Nice one.

Another question. I have put my tracks info in to PRS UK and they ask which US Pro to collect from. Etch said $20 for Ascap and $40 Bmi? So bmi pays more for non vocal cues? I'm not sure if my track info is really needed, although I've always choose the Ascap option but now thinking to amend to Bmi??
as a general rule i would suggest going with BMI if you will be predominately a music for media composer. just for the simple fact you wont fall foul of ASCAP's surveys of cable networks.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump