The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Writers share split with a co-writer for one song in a film
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

Writers share split with a co-writer for one song in a film

Not an actual sit.; just curious the way this works.

I get hired to score a film. I write the score, which is a WFH, and I receive 100% of the writers.

The film ends with a rock tune, which I co-write with, say, drBill. We agree the way to go is to split the writers 50/50 on that tune.

If that tune airs on radio, that should not be a problem with me getting my 50, and Bill getting his 50, as the cue sheet will only have that song.

But what happens when the film airs on TV? I am thinking as I type... is there a separate cue sheet for only that song? And does that work - as in, we will both get our share? If there is no separate cue sheet, how to ensure Bill gets his share, but not a share of the entire film?
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Not an actual sit.; just curious the way this works.

I get hired to score a film. I write the score, which is a WFH, and I receive 100% of the writers.

The film ends with a rock tune, which I co-write with, say, drBill. We agree the way to go is to split the writers 50/50 on that tune.

If that tune airs on radio, that should not be a problem with me getting my 50, and Bill getting his 50, as the cue sheet will only have that song.

But what happens when the film airs on TV? I am thinking as I type... is there a separate cue sheet for only that song? And does that work - as in, we will both get our share? If there is no separate cue sheet, how to ensure Bill gets his share, but not a share of the entire film?
all musical compositions are listed on the cue sheets and list when each cue starts, when each stops, how each cue is used (background, featured, Theme Song, etc), and who the composer and publisher is.

Doesn't matter if it's a Beatles song, a song written just for the film, a song licensed from a music library, or underscore composed to the picture. It's all listed on the film's cue sheet. The film studio submits the cue sheet to the TV broadcaster. The broadcaster submits the cue sheet to ASCAP/BMI along with air dates and times. ASCAP/BMI pay on the length of use listed in the cue sheet, the type of use listed on the cue sheet, the network airing it, and the time of day it was aired/Nielsen ratings for the airing.

For that song airing on the radio, they don't give the film cue sheet to the radio station. The radio station is given that one song with the composer and publisher information attached. The radio stations have to submit logs to ASCAP and BMI for payment distributions, and that is how you would get paid from it airing on radio. That is also why a lot of radio stations just use playlists (and have for decades). It's easier to just turn in the same list of songs over and over than to have to catalog each individual unique song that is aired. Station do log every song... but it's easier to just copy and paste the same playlist with the same writer and publisher information over and over in the log.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Right right right.... the times and lengths are on the cue sheet... I should know this... in fact I do - I just wasn't thinking clearly before.

Thanks!
Old 25th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Right right right.... the times and lengths are on the cue sheet... I should know this... in fact I do - I just wasn't thinking clearly before.

Thanks!
Bourbon or Scotch?
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Bourbon or Scotch?
Eww to both.

But, no I wasn't drunk at the time. If I was, I prolly wouldn't have asked!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search