The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is a worldwide license in perp for all media sufficient for STEAM?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Is a worldwide license in perp for all media sufficient for STEAM?

Greeting. Does granting a worldwide, all media license in perpetuity provide content creators with the ability to release their product on steam with my music in it? I have always assumed that this is all a developer would need to release their product on steam but the people I am working with seem to believe that they need a very expansive license in order to be legally allowed to release their product on the STEAM platform.

They are seeking terms like this:

- you retain rights
- you give the game a full licence to:
- copy
- sell
- sublicense
- publish
- etc
- you're still free to sell / use your asset yourself.

They believe that they need these terms because the agreement with STEAM says this:

"company hereby grants to valve a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to internally reproduce, use and modify the applications in object code format..."

and this:

"Company hereby grants to Valve a non-exclusive license to reproduce, publicly display and perform, transmit, sell, license and otherwise distribute the Applications in object code form via Steam and through any type of payment method to Steam Account Owners in the Territory."

Are they correct and I need to grant them the right to "sublicense" and "publish", or else they won't have the permission necessary to release their product on steam?

I only have a vague understanding of this legalese stuff so I hope this isn't too much of a type of question.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search