The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Creating the "Shepard Tone" using an Eventide Eclipse or DSP4000
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Addict

Creating the "Shepard Tone" using an Eventide Eclipse or DSP4000

I have a reasonable understanding of what the effect is and how to create it: Hans Zimmer, DUNKIRK, INCEPTION, INTERSTELLAR and many others I'm sure.

I'm not a pro, but I love the effect, especially "Time" (Interstellar).

At my disposal, I have an Eventide Eclipse, Eventide DSP4000, and the Keyboard I'm using is a Yamaha MODX7. The MODX7 has an effect called "Spiralizer" which gives a similar result to the Shepard Tone, but not convincing in my view.

I could use the MODX7 for glissando, but I'm not sure how I would control the volume. Therefore, I reckon I could use a "Pitch Shift" algorithm in the Eventide, I would need three separate ones, including volume envelopes for each... that's about as far as I can think about it.

I'm aware that there are plugins that can accomplish this, but I don't want to use plugins because:

1) I don't have the plugins
2) I have capable hardware (I believe)
3) I want to play it LIVE

The most important part of the above statement is that I want to play using the effect LIVE!!..

When I say LIVE, I don't mean playing on stage, with sexy women throwing their underwear at me (which would be very nice), but I mean playing the keys Live and recording the effect as it is done.

All advice and thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by stixstudios; 8th July 2019 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Clarification.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search