The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pond5 Sales Decreasing
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
That’s a lot of music you are removing. I say stay the course and raise your prices. You should be charging at least $100 per cue.
I'm not opposed to charging $100 per cue, but there's no way I'm splitting that 65/35. Something isn't always better than nothing. There are similar platforms that will do 50/50. I'll try that, or pull back and try a different approach that makes more sense to me. 65/35 doesn't make sense.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
Hey Etch,

I'm super curious about the whole publishing thing, and I would like to get your take on it.

According to the communication I received from them:

Key information about the program:

• These performance royalties are in addition to the upfront license revenue you receive when your track is licensed through Pond5.
  • You will keep all of your writer and publisher performance royalties, less a standard admin fee from the publisher share to cover our expenses.
  • We will make every effort to ensure that buyers file cue sheets and provide relevant information for public broadcasts on film and TV.
  • You are not required to license exclusively through Pond5 in order to participate in Pond5 Publishing.
  • Participation in Pond5 Publishing does not interfere with other publishing arrangements you may have, as we will only be collecting performance royalties generated by tracks licensed through Pond5.
  • We will help you sign up as a writer with a performing rights organization if you are not already (which is a prerequisite to collecting performance royalties and completely free with BMI).
  • You’re in control - you decide whether to participate in Pond5 Publishing.

It doesn't sound to me like they are making a grab for all of my publishing, just that they are admining it for me?

Cheers,
Rob

There are so many things wrong with their bullet points I don't even know where to begin. Let's go in order...

Quote:
These performance royalties are in addition to the upfront license revenue you receive when your track is licensed through Pond5.
They make it sound like this is some new bonus they are giving you. Performance Royalties have been there IN ADDITION TO upfront licensing since 1849... Its just that pond5 thought they could buck the system by NOT offering those to you up until this point. It's sad that this is considered a "feature" when in reality it is merely a fact that everyone else that has been writing and licensing music for decades has had the pleasure of profiting from.

Quote:
You will keep all of your writer and publisher performance royalties, less a standard admin fee from the publisher share to cover our expenses.
Uhhhh... no mention of how much a percentage they are taking???... and no mention that they will increase their percentage over time the same way they are increasing their percentage of the sync fees. The fact that they didn't list their admin percentage makes me suspect.

Quote:
We will make every effort to ensure that buyers file cue sheets and provide relevant information for public broadcasts on film and TV.
OMG! LOL The FCC requires all broadcasters to collect cue sheets for anything that is aired on their network. Pond5 isn't going to do **** nor can they. It's not up to them. Notice they also didn't mention that they will be collecting, analyzing and reconciling all cue sheets against royalty statements??? That is what a normal publishing admin does.... no mention of that.

Quote:
You are not required to license exclusively through Pond5 in order to participate in Pond5 Publishing. ... Participation in Pond5 Publishing does not interfere with other publishing arrangements you may have, as we will only be collecting performance royalties generated by tracks licensed through Pond5.
Anyone who knows anything about publishing knows this is complete BS. Participating in Pond5 Publishing absolutely WILL interfere with your other publishing agreements for those same songs. Several big networks have already been pulled into disputes over this VERY thing between competing non-exclusive libraries.

Quote:
We will help you sign up as a writer with a performing rights organization if you are not already (which is a prerequisite to collecting performance royalties and completely free with BMI).
Wow... be very careful about that. You are technically supposed to sign yourself up. They do not have limited power of attorney to sign you up with the PRO. But maybe that is another little hidden thing they put into their agreement? Now you are signing over power of attorney so they can enter into contracts on your behalf?

Quote:
You’re in control - you decide whether to participate in Pond5 Publishing.
Uh... please read the copyright act of 1939 and 1976... by law you are ALWAYS IN CONTROL OF YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY until you sell those rights to a company (a publishing company). Just the fact that they list THIS as a FEATURE is very disheartening and sad. this isn't a feature it's the [email protected]#$ing LAW!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Gotcha... so they are just trying to hone in on stuff that should technically already be happening and that they have no real claim to. They sure did make it sound decent.

But, I must say after a few years of doing a fair amt of licenses on P5, and including all of my PRO information with every cue, I've yet to see any SOCAN money. $0.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
Gotcha... so they are just trying to hone in on stuff that should technically already be happening and that they have no real claim to. They sure did make it sound decent.

But, I must say after a few years of doing a fair amt of licenses on P5, and including all of my PRO information with every cue, I've yet to see any SOCAN money. $0.
That is probably because most of the people that use pond5 aren't working on royalty generating shows and because they are non-exclusive the networks won't touch them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Audio Network was doing this (running at a net loss and trying to undercut prices. They were 50 mil GBP in debt but were only making 30 mil GBP a year when they sold)
How do you know they were 50 mill in debt?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornemalvo View Post
How do you know they were 50 mill in debt?
Insider knowledge.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Insider knowledge.
Oh.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Oh.
I tried to PM you but GS wouldn’t let me. Do you have Private Messaging turned off?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I tried to PM you but GS wouldn’t let me. Do you have Private Messaging turned off?
PM me some info!

I am trying to get ahead in music licensing.

Working hard but with mediocre results. Maybe I need some advice or coaching or a reality check. Either way, let’s talk.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Working hard but with mediocre results.
U gotta keep rolling that dice dude.

Great music > real instruments > great musicians > great libraries...that's the key!

I think.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
U gotta keep rolling that dice dude.

Great music > real instruments > great musicians > great libraries...that's the key!

I think.
Yes, thanks for the encouragement.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I am trying to get ahead in music licensing. Working hard but with mediocre results.
I'm just a wannabe, but I'd love to have your "mediocre" results! I clicked through to your Soundcloud and I see you've been placed in at least 3 TV shows I watch regularly, so it's neat to think I've probably heard your stuff without realizing. (And I know your full placement list is 100x bigger than that.)

I'm guessing not a single one of those TV placements came via Pond5 either....
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyneRyder View Post
I'm just a wannabe, but I'd love to have your "mediocre" results! I clicked through to your Soundcloud and I see you've been placed in at least 3 TV shows I watch regularly, so it's neat to think I've probably heard your stuff without realizing. (And I know your full placement list is 100x bigger than that.)

I'm guessing not a single one of those TV placements came via Pond5 either....
No, no placements through Pond5.

Hopefully your placements will build up. It’s a lot of work to get enough music made and enough music placed on TV shows. Keep contacting music libraries and do whatever you need to do to get your music placed.

Good luck and thanks for checking out my music.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Insider knowledge.
Insider knowledge you say. Was this from the cleaner perhaps?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I do feel strongly that if someone is going to make a bold claim such as:

"Audio Network was doing this (running at a net loss and trying to undercut prices. They were 50 mil GBP in debt but were only making 30 mil GBP a year when they sold)"

...then it needs to be backed up with some concrete evidence. 'Insider knowledge', frankly, is not good enough.

This is a very bold claim being made here. I think in the interests of fair debate it needs to be backed up properly or retracted.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Speaking of Pond5..They're about to start donating money to budding filmmakers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
Film is big business.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I do feel strongly that if someone is going to make a bold claim such as:

"Audio Network was doing this (running at a net loss and trying to undercut prices. They were 50 mil GBP in debt but were only making 30 mil GBP a year when they sold)"

...then it needs to be backed up with some concrete evidence. 'Insider knowledge', frankly, is not good enough.

This is a very bold claim being made here. I think in the interests of fair debate it needs to be backed up properly or retracted.
Shoot me a PM and I’ll reply. I’m not retracting the truth. But I can’t divulge my source publicly without getting them in trouble.

So take it for the $0.02 that it is worth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
PM me some info!

I am trying to get ahead in music licensing.

Working hard but with mediocre results. Maybe I need some advice or coaching or a reality check. Either way, let’s talk.
PM sent.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Shoot me a PM and I’ll reply.
Done.
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Done.
nope... never got it. It must not have gone through. Try again. I got PM's from Desire Inspires and one other GS member, so I know it's working on my end.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
interesting... maybe that is where the extra percentage they just took from composers is going?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
nope... never got it. It must not have gone through. Try again. I got PM's from Desire Inspires and one other GS member, so I know it's working on my end.
Just sent another.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Just sent another.
cool. got it. I replied.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search