The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
need some sound and video editing advice
Old 7th July 2019
Here for the gear

need some sound and video editing advice

Hello,

I am a soon to be graduate and planning ahead for life after having unlimited access to great equipment and software....scary stuff.

That said, I would like some advice on some software (not protools ) where I can do my sound design to film.

I use premiere for editing film, as an audio engineer with a tight budget, I would like to know of any pointers for a good middle ground for some software that won't break the bank or need continuous updates (I use apple, I have found that Mac updates can sometimes throw things out of whack, to say the least).

If anyone has some advice on software and some versatile audio recording kit, I would be most grateful.

Thank you!

Old 7th July 2019
Gear Addict

Reaper is great, and won't break the bank at $60. The demo is fully functional and will continue to be even after the demo trial period has ended, if you are totally desperate. Good for editing video (within boundaries) as well as audio), and great for midi.

Before you graduate you may want to take advantage of any student discounts, Avid offers steep discounts for eg Pro Tools or Sibelius or Media Composer. Get them while you are a student, and don't worry about upgrading. That way you can continue using them for years to come. Avid is not the only company that does it. The trick is to do this while you're still in an accredited school, you have to submit proof of being enrolled.
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Guru

If you want to do this for a living I recommend looking at the market you're in and see what most professional studios and engineers use. It's good to be compatible with them, not use a 'special' solution. So if everyone is using Nuendo in your market then get that. If they're using Pro Tools try to get that.

I do agree though that if you just need something to get some work done, have a really tight budget, and are willing to sometimes jump through some hoops or re-learn a new DAW then software such as Reaper will do just fine. And of course if your goal is to be an independent service provider working by yourself then whatever works is fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search